Sony to sell new 40GB PlayStation 3 - free Spiddy 3 movie - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 130 (permalink) Old 2007-10-05, 02:39 PM

Opps sorry about that darrylr.

Personally I think this is a mistake for Sony. Is the lower price good for me...a person looking to get into the PS3 game..sure. I guess they are banking on the 65+ titles due to be in their catalog by xmas to sell these systems. I have lots of PS2 games that i would like to play on a shiny new PS3. So my decision will be whether I want to shell out more money to have that convenience or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 130 (permalink) Old 2007-10-05, 02:43 PM
Veteran

It's a mistake in my opinion as well. If it was being done in software how much money can it really save by removing it? I never owned a PS2 (only a PS1) but it has been nice to be able to pick up some cheaper PS2 games to play on my PS3.
post #33 of 130 (permalink) Old 2007-10-05, 04:54 PM
Veteran

It's not so crazy, so long as they leave a backwards compatible model available.

Why should a new entrant have to pay extra for backwards compatibility if they have no PS2 library?

post #34 of 130 (permalink) Old 2007-10-05, 05:04 PM

yeah, I dont think its such a deal breaker. If you have a PS2, you can still keep it, you know. And they can be had for cheap if you really want one.

For me, it wasnt that important. I only had 8 games total for ps2, and just kept GTA San Andreas to play on PS3.\

IMO this is a good move. Xbox seems to be doing OK with having several SKU's with different features, why cant PS3? It still retains all the next gen features, and loses some legacy bits. 4 USB ports is overkill anyway. Ive only used one at a time so far...im sure a usb hub will work too for those wanting more port.
post #35 of 130 (permalink) Old 2007-10-05, 06:36 PM

I was surprised to read BC was removed... I would like to see a hard confirmation on it.

Its a nice feature, I have no PS2 games, but was intending to buy compatible family oriented ones... something the current PS3 library lacks, and of course would be cheaper too.

But after a little thought, maybe it does make some sense. First they remove the HW EE emulation, move it to software, now out completely. Its like Sony is saying, "lets move on folks, the new stuff is coming and its much better".
post #36 of 130 (permalink) Old 2007-10-05, 06:57 PM
Veteran

In general, I like to pay for things I use and not pay for things I don't use. It's the number one complaint about Cable subscription packages - having to pay for channels you never watch to get the ones you do watch.

For me it's no different here. I would have much rather paid an appropriate amount for a unit the does what I want rather than pay more for a feature I will not use (or rarely use). I have a PS2 already if I really want to play PS2 games. For those that don't have one and want to play PS2 games on the PS3, the incremental cost on a PS2 game playable PS3 doesn't seem all that bad given that you would have to buy a PS2 anyhow to play the games - forgetting about used systems, etc. since we are talking new.. anyhow, I like it. I have already paid money for last gen stuff. I would like to think my money is going directly to new gen stuff.

To each his own, but this will provide a better entrance pricepoint for the PS3 which is certainly encouraging.

Cal
post #37 of 130 (permalink) Old 2007-10-05, 11:15 PM

I suppose you can always buy a PS2 for $99, but this seems dumb, dumb, dumb.

Not even letting a new SKU sit for 2 months before changing the playing field again? I actually might be pissed if the two 1st party titles are what I think they might be. 'Course, it might be Lair along with RFOM.

I will say that my first purchase for my shiny PS3 has been...God of War.

The 360 is (mostly) backwards compatible (leave Riddick out of it!). The Wii is totally BC with Gamecube games. Sony is setting itself apart - in a bad way - with this change.

With the software emulation, how this saves money is beyond me. If this is a sign that Sony is starting to give up on BC (like MS basically has), I'll be really mad as this was a major selling point for a new entrant like me.

Panasonic TH50PX77, *Choice 530, Samsung 40C650, Sharp LC3742U, *Choice 505, Pioneer VSX-D409, Xbox 360, PS3 x 2
post #38 of 130 (permalink) Old 2007-10-06, 10:20 AM

Actually, the 80 gig PS3's backwards compatibility is not entirely software based--there is still a PS2 GS (graphics systhesizer) on the board. It only lacks the PS2's cpu (the emotion engine). It is safe to say the 40 gig system will not have the GS chip, thereby making backwards compatibility much more difficult.

I don't really get what the big deal is--if backwards compatibility is a compelling feature to you, then buy the 60/80 gig unit. Problem solved.
post #39 of 130 (permalink) Old 2007-10-06, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polaris View Post
IMO this is a good move. Xbox seems to be doing OK with having several SKU's with different features, why cant PS3?
Because its Sony. Sony could probably start packing-in a few hundred dollar bills in each PS3 and people would still find fault with it...
post #40 of 130 (permalink) Old 2007-10-06, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy05 View Post
Actually, the 80 gig PS3's backwards compatibility is not entirely software based--there is still a PS2 GS (graphics systhesizer) on the board. It only lacks the PS2's cpu (the emotion engine). It is safe to say the 40 gig system will not have the GS chip, thereby making backwards compatibility much more difficult.

I don't really get what the big deal is--if backwards compatibility is a compelling feature to you, then buy the 60/80 gig unit. Problem solved.
Thanks for the link, I thought it was totally SW based. NOW this makes sense, fewer chips, lower cost to manufacture....and eventually freeze the BC support&maint (more $ saved).

Guess I'm keeping my 80gb
post #41 of 130 (permalink) Old 2007-10-06, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy05 View Post
Because its Sony. Sony could probably start packing-in a few hundred dollar bills in each PS3 and people would still find fault with it...
I disagree. Sony has consistently backed off from claims it has made regarding this generation (rumble is unnecessary, all PS3s with have the same game-playing capabilities).

It's fine to change your product, but when you look like a huge hypocrite doing so...

Panasonic TH50PX77, *Choice 530, Samsung 40C650, Sharp LC3742U, *Choice 505, Pioneer VSX-D409, Xbox 360, PS3 x 2
post #42 of 130 (permalink) Old 2007-10-06, 12:19 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by prufrock View Post
It's fine to change your product, but when you look like a huge hypocrite doing so...
That might be the case, but as a consumer I would rather them change their product when realizing a mistake vs sticking to their guns and continuing to make that mistake.

Cal
post #43 of 130 (permalink) Old 2007-10-06, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Its the arrogance that sony has that makes people feel that way. By the way, how many different SKU's are they up to?

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=11209
post #44 of 130 (permalink) Old 2007-10-06, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusX View Post
Its the arrogance that sony has that makes people feel that way. By the way, how many different SKU's are they up to?

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=11209
Microsoft is not exactly known for being a humble operation either.

This is a war between 2 giant bullies.
post #45 of 130 (permalink) Old 2007-10-06, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prufrock View Post
I disagree. Sony has consistently backed off from claims it has made regarding this generation (rumble is unnecessary, all PS3s with have the same game-playing capabilities).

I dont see the issue here when compared to the 360, which has gone through numerous changes also with them having varrying degrees of BC, high def support, HDMI, wireless networking, etc...

The Wii is the only system to have got it right, and so they dont need to change much.

The Wii is also very much a gamecube in a new package with a new controller...according to my friends who produce games, so it was easy to everyone to deal with. Just have to get the motion control under wraps.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in