PS3 vs XBOX 360 questions - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-01, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

PS3 vs XBOX 360 questions

With the conclusion of the original XBOX, I am now in the market for a new console. I have been looking at the PS3 online and in the stores, and I borrowed a buddies 360 to try.

My needs/concerns for a console are:
1. Has to have the EA sports franchise (NHL, Madden, Tiger Woods and Baseball)
2. Online connectivity is important for those games
3. I am not into shooting or action games (not enough to impact a decision)
Concerns
4. Price is a concern
5. I am not much of a renter, I like to buy a couple games a year.
6. The 360 fan is really loud. It is much louder than the previous generation. Is the PS3 any quieter?
7. I know that a lot of people have had some problems with the 360, but am I only hearing about it because I hang out here? Is it a big problem?
8. The drive in the 360 sounds like my $30 dvd player when it opens and closes. There are clunks and you can really hear it moving. Is this normal, or just the 360 I borrowed?
9. The PS3 doesn't come with HD cables, can I use a standard HDMI cable, or do I have to buy a special one from Sony?
10. I know the 360 controllers take batteries, does the PS3? If not, how long does the batter last before it no longer holds a charge?
11. Both the 360 and PS3 have wireless wifi built in, correct?
12. I can't find the price for the PS3s online service, does anyone know it?

If I did get a PS3, i would probably get some blu-rays, but I doub't I would get the HD DVD drive for the 360.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-01, 05:54 PM
Veteran

If you're basing your loud 360 experience on your friend's unit, don't. Newer ones aren't as loud.

The 360 repair problems aren't great, but you're covered well by MS. If you're really worried, buy a product replacement plane.

You can use any HDMI cable with the PS3.

The batteries are built into the PS3 controllers.

Only the PS3 has wifi built in. There is a wireless adaptor you can buy for the 360 if you require it.

PS3 online service is currently free of charge.

If price is a major concern, what until the fall for the rumored price drops.
post #3 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-01, 07:12 PM

hockeymancw:

1. Both consoles offer the EA Sports titles
2. Both consoles offer online options for EA Sports titles
3. I'm guessing you're looking for a more diverse line up. Right now there are more games available for the 360.
4. The 360 is cheaper (its available in 3 configurations, I believe 2 of them are lower than the PS3 price - The PS3 is available in just the one configuration with the cheaper one recently being discontinued - to the best of my knowledge)
5. An alternative to renting (sort of) are downloadable demos, of which there are more available to the 360.
6. The PS3 is very quiet.
7. I would invest in an extended warranty if purchasing the 360. MS offers a 2 year warranty for around $50 CDN I believe.
8. The 360 drive tray noise is on par with most tray loading disc players.
9. You can use any HDMI cable.
10. The 360 has rechargable battery packs available for its controllers. The PS3 charges seem to last between 4-5 hours.
11. PS3 yes, 360 no. A separate adapter must be purchased for the 360.
12. PlayStation Network is free to access, some content is charged for and a credit card can be used for those purchases.

post #4 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-01, 10:27 PM
Veteran

Hazzard: Not true. the PS3 does not have NHL 07. 360 does. PS3 along with the 360 will get NHL 08. PS3 and 360 both have NHL 2k7 and NHL 2k8.
post #5 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-01, 10:47 PM

Hazzard: (Re: #10)

Your PS3 controllers only hold a charge for 4-5 hours? Mine are good for 20+ hours of gameplay.
post #6 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-01, 11:05 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymancw View Post
7. I know that a lot of people have had some problems with the 360, but am I only hearing about it because I hang out here? Is it a big problem?
This thread at NeoGAF might give you an idea of how big of a problem the 360's reliability is.

From my own experience, of the 4 people (including myself) that I know in RL that have 360s, 1 original system is still working (but has begun locking up on him). My launch system was trouble free right up until it died (0102) about 6 weeks ago, and one friend is on his third. I was kind of skeptical about how widespread this issue was as I kept hearing how defective the launch PS2s were, even though nobody that I know that had a launch-day system ever had a problem with them. I just attributed the stories to fanboyism (in both cases).

I wouldn't recommend buying a 360, even with an extended warranty, until they sort out what's wrong with it. I am not going to replace mine until they do.
post #7 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-02, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Are the new black elite 360s any better or are they the same components with a bigger HD, HDMI and a nift black case?
post #8 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-02, 10:54 AM
Veteran

As far as I know it's essentially the same guts except for the video output section providing the HDMI output. However, I couldn't swear on it. I have anecdotally heard about Elite RROLs so that might lend some credence.

Cal
post #9 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-02, 01:24 PM

My friend (who is on his third system) has the Elite. He says it locks up more frequently than his previous (refurbished) system did, but has not had the RROD (yet). I don't think that there is any internal difference between it and the previous SKUs, but apparently some warranty replacement systems have been showing up with an extra heat sink on the GPU. There is much speculation that the main cause of the RROD is the GPU losing contact with the motherboard--the solder breaks because the board flexes as it warms up.
post #10 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-04, 09:16 AM

The new Xbox360 systems are coming out with a new heatsink on the GPU which should help prevent the failures.
I guess I got lucky because my Elite is not very loud.
This may not be a deal breaker for you but there is an article that the Xbox 360 versions of Madden 08, NCAA Football 08, and All-Pro Football 2K8 run at 60 frames per second on the Xbox360, whereas the PS3 editions are locked at just 30fps.
If your thinking of getting a PS3 you may want to wait a couple of months. It looks like it will be getting a price cut fairly soon. Sony CEO Sir Howard Stringer pondering just how much he can afford to knock off the PS3's price tag to boost sales.

BTV 5900, 6100, 9200, 6141 & 9242 | Xbox 360 & PS3 | Samsung Galaxy S II
post #11 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-04, 10:18 AM
Veteran

Quote:
While we haven't had the opportunity to see the difference with EA's titles (the publisher hasn't sent us PS3 builds of either), All-Pro Football 2K8 definitely runs better on Xbox 360.
The only issue I have with that article is that without having a PS3 build to even see, how can one say it runs better on the 360? One can certainly appreciate that it runs "quicker" on the 360 currently, but that doesn't necessarily translate to better. I'll be interested to see the side by side playing comparisons.

Cal
post #12 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-04, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Thanks,
I'll think I'll wait to see how much the PS3 drops. If it is comparable to the 360 price, I pick one up.
post #13 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-04, 11:59 AM

Depending on whether or not you use bluray or wifi, the PS3 price is already comparable to the 360. If you get the elite+wifi+hd-dvd-addon you're paying way more. Not to mention the $30/controller for the battery packs.

So while id imagine the ps3 price will drop, it has every right to cost a bit more than a 360.

Also the PS3 doesnt have that nasty power-brick. It runs very quietly and I also get about 15-20hours of battery life per charge.

Sony KDS-60A2000, Sony Playstation 1/2/3 (60gig) and PSP, Sony STR-DG910, Pioneer/Sony 7.1, 39 PS3 Games, 120 BR movies
post #14 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-04, 11:59 AM

The Elite is a completely different revision of the motherboard. If you look at the side by side pictures you can see pretty much everything has changed or been moved around. They have put some goop on the CPU to prevent it from popping off, which was one of the issues. Add in the new heat sink on the GPU. From reports the Elite seems more reliable, more in lines with any other consumer electronic product, not it's predecessor.

Now to your original question:

-Xbox 360's online experience is much better than the PS3.
-360 currently comes with rumble controllers.
-360's controllers allow you to have spare batteries, not forcing you to plug in so you can recharge as you are gaming. This is a big pain in the butt with the PS3!
-360 has way more games
-360 has a much larger online community

-PS3 has Blue Ray and great upconversion capabilities.
-PS3 is quieter
-PS3 has built in wireless
post #15 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-04, 01:29 PM

I would buy a 360 just for the Media Center extender capabilities alone - and I did!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in