PS3 vs XBOX 360 questions - Page 7 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #91 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-10-19, 11:36 PM

My TV only does 720p/1080i, and I have had no problems. Games run at 720p, interface at 1080i. Blu-Ray movies were 720p, if I recall correctly.

I have both a PS3 and an Xbox 360. I am happy having both, but would not sell my 360 to pay for my PS3.

I don't like the layout of the PS3 store and have yet to buy from it, so I can't help there. Ditto with online (I'm playing Folklore, which is single-player).

Panasonic TH50PX77, *Choice 530, Samsung 40C650, Sharp LC3742U, *Choice 505, Pioneer VSX-D409, Xbox 360, PS3 x 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-10-20, 01:55 AM
Veteran

Quote:
1. Is there still an issue with HD resolutions? My LCD can do 720p and 1080i, I remember reading something when the PS3 came out that it would drop to 480p sometimes. Can I set the PS3 to 720p and everything will play at that like the 360?
The problem was for people who didn't have 720p. If their TV was just 480/1080, the game that ran at 720 would default to 480. You won't have that problem.

Quote:
2. Xbox Live marketplace for Canada sucks! Is there region restrictions with the Playstation Store?
Canada has the same stuff that the US store has, and now it's even priced the same because of the parity in the currencies. The PSN store uses real dollars, not points.

Quote:
4. Is the online gaming any good compared to Xbox Live?
I haven't been on the 360, but everything I've read is "no." Live is considered to be better than the PSN, but the PSN is also free. Sony has left it up to the developers to support online gaming, so each game treats it a bit differently.

Hope that helps.

Gord
post #93 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-10-20, 02:40 AM

Xbox Live is worth every penny... the amount of content, the functionality puts Sony's PSN to shame.

post #94 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-10-21, 04:07 PM

Agreed, I really think you will regret selling the 360 to move to a PS3. It is worse in every aspect IMHO, and I own both consoles. The 360 marketplace in Canada will improve soon as there will be downloadable TV content like in the US, we're supposed to be getting it this fall. The online marketplace for the PS3 is terrible in my opinion, it's just not organized very well and the content is lacking as well. Online gaming on it is also a joke in comparison to live, it's just again, not nearly as organized and easy to use as live. If you really want a PS3, save for another month or whatever it takes and then get one, do not sell your 360 for it, bad idea.
post #95 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-10-22, 05:46 PM

I also own both consoles. It is not worth it to sell the 360 for a PS3. Keep it and add the PS3 to your collection. IIRC Microsoft has said that Canada will be getting a better marketplace after the fall update.

BTV 5900, 6100, 9200, 6141 & 9242 | Xbox 360 & PS3 | Samsung Galaxy S II
post #96 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-11-18, 08:04 PM

PS3 versus Xbox 360

My son is buying a new game system this week and he's wondering what is better. I talked to a salesman and he said that there are many problems with the Xbox 360. Lots of systems having to be returned. I don't put too much stock in to what salesman say. I'm not a gamer so I am not at all familiar with this world. Can anyone confirm whether Xbox 360s have manufacter problems or is this just bull?
post #97 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-11-18, 08:19 PM

It's true that the 360 has been plagued by hardware failures. The majority of these were from th earliest released machines.

If you buy a machine, check the date code on it (can be found on the top under a flap). If it is within the last few months and the console has an HMDI connector, it should be much more reliable than earlier versions.

The biggest problem is the red-ring-of-death, and MS is warrantying all consoles for three years for this particular problem.

If I was buying right now, I'd buy a 360. The game selection is better, there are more games that have been out for a while and can be found discounted, and the online experience is superb.

Just don't get talked into any expensive accessories, and that includes an HDMI cable that's more than $10.

Panasonic TH50PX77, *Choice 530, Samsung 40C650, Sharp LC3742U, *Choice 505, Pioneer VSX-D409, Xbox 360, PS3 x 2
post #98 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-11-18, 08:29 PM

Thanks for the info prufrock. How about the xbox 360 with the hard drive. I think its $100 more. What are the benefits to that hard drive. Or should my son just save his money and buy the basic xbox 360.
post #99 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-11-18, 08:37 PM

The basic model with memory cards are good if he doesn't plan on going online then they will do for storing saved games. Personally I find the 20GB drive that comes with the standard 360 sufficient for my needs. Buying arcade games online, pinball, card games, board games. Big titles requiring lots of hard drive space I buy the discs instead. Some like to fill up the drives with video and audio stuff but I just stream everything from my HTPC instead. The bigger drives cost and aren't worth the money unless he plans to fill it up with multimedia files and use it as as media server instead of an extender.
post #100 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-11-18, 09:13 PM

I'd suggest your son picks up the 360. I'm an owner of both consoles, and my PS3 doesn't get much use out of it, unless it's to watch a BD movie; it's rarely used for gaming. The 360's hardware issues have been resolved for the majority of people, and should you still have issues, the common issue is covered for 3 yrs from purchase date. What prufrock said is a very good way to select a console, if it's got HDMI, it'll be one of the newer units. In terms of which unit to buy, I would recommend the Elite. I know I could use the 120GB, and the price difference is pretty minimal b/w it and the pro model, so you'd be better off getting the larger HDD.
post #101 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-11-18, 09:50 PM

I believe that MS has solved the hardware issues, but all 360s have a three year warranty to ease the public fears about buying the system.

As everyone has said, there are currently more quality games out for the 360 than the PS3, and a wealth of discounted and inexpensive used games for the system too.

I've had a 360 since launch, and I love it. I plan on buying a PS3, but primarily for use as a Blu Ray player.
post #102 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-11-18, 11:02 PM

I have to agree with the above posts, while I am a Wii and XBOX360 owner. Currently the 360 is the better value from a gaming perspective than the PS3. The hardware failures have been resolved and as mentioned there is a 3 year warranty on the 360 to deal with this particular problem.

The value for the PS3 is more of a multimedia system (i.e bluray). In canada, I'm guessing you are here) the price of these movies is still crazy high. Also if it is for your son he more than likely will not care about that.

I guess more importantly it would come down to what games your son likes after all this is the reason for the purchase.
post #103 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-11-19, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Fraser View Post
Thanks for the info prufrock. How about the xbox 360 with the hard drive. I think its $100 more. What are the benefits to that hard drive. Or should my son just save his money and buy the basic xbox 360.
I wouldn't touch the new "Arcade 360". My saved games for Oblivion alone were well over a gigabyte. The arcade is to combat the wii, and that's all.

Get the "pro" bundle or go for the elite; the 120 GB HD would be nice and the black looks cool. I am not a big fan of the Halo themed console as I suspect it'll quickly get tiresome dealing with the colour. I can guarantee your son will sooner or later want a HD, and MS is killing us with their prices (I think it's $200 for the 120 separately).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in