PS3 vs XBOX 360 questions - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-08-01, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin940 View Post
He was talking about the Fall lineup. I don't think MGS 4 hits until end of Q1 2008 (or maybe Q2).

Cal
Yes, I just did the fall/winter 2007 lineup (that is why Splinter Cell Conviction is not on the 360 side either).

Good catch on Ratchet and Clank ...

The reason I put Haze as a rumour is that the developer had original said it was on PC, 360 and PS3 (even had it listed somewhere they were all launching within a week of each other). THen ubisoft said hold on a second and it went to being PS3 only and the other platforms YTD. My guess is that they will push the other versions into the new year to miss competing with Halo 3 and to get some credits with Sony. But you are right, it is just a rumour ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-08-04, 08:01 PM
Veteran

I am going to answer these issues in a thread that can allow them to be on-topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krimson View Post
Could also point out that there were successful class action lawsuits against the PS2 for the poor optical drives used. How quickly history is forgotten.
As was the class-action lawsuit for 360 scratching up your game discs. And MS while knowing it does that will still only replace it's own studio games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krimson View Post
Like... Sony? Exploding battery recall?
Shall we at least keep the conversation about video gaming or do we start bringing up MS anti-trust lawesuits, monopoly lawsuits, unfair business practices Netscape Vs MS etc etc??

I think the point people are making is that would you rather have a 3 year warranty on a device that has an unusually large propensity for failure or a 1 year warranty on an item that has an order of magnitude lower failure rate? I would take the latter any day.

In the end, it is about the games you want to play and what system they are on. I have the fortune to own all 3 consoles, so I find the games I want and play them on corresponding console. If they are on all consoles, then it comes down to whether I think it's better on PS3 or 360. If it's equal on both, I'll buy on the PS3. Out of all the consoles I have overall, I like my PS3 the best for the hardware, the blu-ray player and the games that will come out for it (both announced and unannounced).

For me Killzone 2 is looking much more attractive to me than Halo 2.1 and I was always a fan of the Ratchet and Clank series. I will end up buying Halo because I do like to support the Bungie guys, but I am currently disappointed with their 2nd and (so far) 3rd effort.

Cal
post #78 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-09-19, 01:02 PM

I just picked up a PS3 and noticed I am unable to get audio from both the HDMI (to tv speakers) and optical ports at the same time. Is this normal? I've went through the setup wizard for both the optical and the HDMI audio settings but it will only output to one or the other. It works fine on my 360 so I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if this a limitation to the PS3's audio processor.

BTV 5900, 6100, 9200, 6141 & 9242 | Xbox 360 & PS3 | Samsung Galaxy S II

post #79 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-09-19, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon View Post
I just picked up a PS3 and noticed I am unable to get audio from both the HDMI (to tv speakers) and optical ports at the same time. Is this normal? I've went through the setup wizard for both the optical and the HDMI audio settings but it will only output to one or the other. It works fine on my 360 so I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if this a limitation to the PS3's audio processor.
Yes, the audio set-up is done so that you chose which output the sound will go through.

You can't go through the set-up for BOTH HDMI and optical, you do one or the other.
post #80 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-09-21, 05:13 PM

Xbox360 Lacking Platforming Games...

When comparing xbox360 to PS3 I really look at the lack of platforming or hybrid games on the Xbox like the Playstation's Ratchet&Clank, Jak&Daxter series. I find these a blast and while not hugely challenging, they're still great to play through and have lots of laughs with....

The other thing lacking on 360 is a fun but good physics golf game like the hot shots golf series.

Overall the 360 is much more "mature/shooter" based then the overall fun/family based Ps3 or Wii..

Anyone know of good platformers, "fun/family" games coming out for the 360...?

I so want to get a 360...but waiting for more "variety" in games..

FortMacDude
FR : Hitachi 57F500, Pioneer VSX-1018AH, PS3, Bell 9200, Energy 5.1
LR: Samsung 40A530, Sony S550, Kenwood HTB 504, Xbox 360, Wii

Last edited by FortMacDude; 2007-09-21 at 05:46 PM.
post #81 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-09-21, 05:23 PM

funny, the 360 is seen as the 'teenagers' console in most things I have read, where the Ps3 is the 'mature 20-30 y.o. gamer'. Wii was a family product, so it will have the biggest sales as such.
post #82 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-09-21, 05:26 PM

I actually think the 360 is more towards the older gamers, while the PS3 is geared towards a slightly younger crowd cause of the Ratchet and Clank type games. Not sure if they're coming out with platformers for the 360, but I guess if you really like those, then you might as well play some of the best ones, which are on XBLA, like the Sonic series.
post #83 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-09-21, 07:38 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
I actually think the 360 is more towards the older gamers, while the PS3 is geared towards a slightly younger crowd cause of the Ratchet and Clank type games. Not sure if they're coming out with platformers for the 360, but I guess if you really like those, then you might as well play some of the best ones, which are on XBLA, like the Sonic series.
I would disagree. You have all the common games like R6, GRAW, Darkness, FEAR, Stranglehold, Obliviion, Assassin's Creed, etc and then you have MGS4, Uncharted: drakes fortune, Killzone2, Haze, Jericho etc which are all adult. Having Ratchet and Clank on there just adds some diversity which I like. I wish there were more of that style of game for the 360 to help round it out.

Cal
post #84 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-09-21, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortMacDude View Post

Supposedly Rare is working on a Banjo-Kazooie sequel for early next year. That is the only big-name platformer franchise on the 360 AFAIK.
post #85 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-09-21, 10:14 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortMacDude View Post

I know it's only an XBLA game, but I loved Cloning Clyde a lot. What a fun platformer it is. yes, it's 2D, but I'll tell ya, 2D platformers are a forgotten game type that still has appeal and its fun. Outside of that, I am definitely waiting to see if 360 will have anything to hit that whole ratchet/sly/jak genre.

Cal
post #86 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-09-22, 05:57 PM

Thanks for the heads up on the XBLA offerings...I had forgotten about the old games there and puzzle games...here's hoping Insomniac jumps ship in the future to the xbox but in the meantime that new "Loony Tunes: Acme Arsenal" game coming in the future to the 360 looks like a blast .

FortMacDude
FR : Hitachi 57F500, Pioneer VSX-1018AH, PS3, Bell 9200, Energy 5.1
LR: Samsung 40A530, Sony S550, Kenwood HTB 504, Xbox 360, Wii
post #87 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-09-24, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin940 View Post
I would disagree. You have all the common games like R6, GRAW, Darkness, FEAR, Stranglehold, Obliviion, Assassin's Creed, etc and then you have MGS4, Uncharted: drakes fortune, Killzone2, Haze, Jericho etc which are all adult. Having Ratchet and Clank on there just adds some diversity which I like. I wish there were more of that style of game for the 360 to help round it out.

Cal
Ya, but still, I find more adult geared games on the 360 vs the PS3. And since the PS3 has more kiddie/party games, especially in Japan it's gearing itself towards that market MORE than the 360.
post #88 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-09-24, 01:52 PM
Veteran

There's a 360 market in Japan?
post #89 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-09-24, 03:10 PM

Not really, hah, and that's it basically, different games are required over there... and the 360 really isn't 'built' for those type of games.
post #90 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-10-19, 09:17 PM

PS3 vs. 360 questions

Hi,

With the new price I am considering selling my Xbox 360 Elite and getting a 80gig PS3.

I have a few questions I hope some of you can answer.

1. Is there still an issue with HD resolutions? My LCD can do 720p and 1080i, I remember reading something when the PS3 came out that it would drop to 480p sometimes. Can I set the PS3 to 720p and everything will play at that like the 360?

2. Xbox Live marketplace for Canada sucks! Is there region restrictions with the Playstation Store?

3. Has anyone here gone from Xbox 360 to PS3? Any regrets?

4. Is the online gaming any good compared to Xbox Live?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in