PS3 vs XBOX 360 questions - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-12, 12:24 AM

after the recent price drop, i was pretty much ready to buy a PS3 as well, but after seeing some of the E3 360 game trailers like CoD4 (holy CRAP have you seen the game-play trailer?!?!?), i'm thinking maybe i should just buy a dedicated BR player instead. not that CoD4 won't look great on the PS3, but i've already got the 360 and i like that controller better.
i guess what i'm saying is that the 360-exclusive and cross-platform games this season look so good (and so plentiful) that there's less added value in investing in PS3-exclusive games vs the advantage of having a BR-only player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-12, 10:25 AM

Riceman, can I ask what would be the advantages of a BR-only player vs the PS3 cause I actually just bought the PS3 primarily to be a BR player, and secondary as a gaming console since I have a 360.
post #48 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-12, 07:05 PM

a player that's IR-ready would be nice for my harmony universal remote. also my receiver doesn't have hdmi-in, but it does have analog-in, so a player with analog outs would be good for lossless audio. i know those players are more expensive, but PS3 games aren't cheap either. also, the PS3 is a year old? you have to figure 3rd gen players will probably have better PQ.

post #49 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-12, 07:12 PM

post #50 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-12, 09:10 PM

Well the PS3 still gives you more than a dedicated player in the end. IMO

I love my 360 and game the hell out of it but if given the choice again, I'd still get the PS3 as a BD player. They continually update it and may just surprise us all with something cool. And no it won't be Home.
post #51 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-16, 04:22 PM

Well, I purchased my 360 on launch date and initially loved it. However, I was never able to play for more than a few months without freezing/screen-tearing/red-lights problems. It would start with the intro fmv scenes not playing properly and then I would start to get "disc unreadable" errors more and more frequently until the red lights showed. When my 4th refurb showed signs of failure within a week of first using it I finally threw the towel in and px/ed it for a PS3. I was initially planning to swap my original 360 for an Elite but then came the reports of them starting to freeze and the fact that they didn't use the smaller chip as planned - this was meant to be the solution to the red lights problem. I think I would almost certainly have kept my 360 if not for the problems but now I've defected to PS3 I certainly wouldn't go back. I just think it's a better designed unit: no disc tray to get jammed, whisper quiet operation, faster controller charging, blu-ray player, HDMI, 60gb HD, free online, etc. The one thing I thought would suck is the Sony online community - Xbox Live is Microsoft's greatest asset IMO - but I'm actually loving it. The ability to name your room (e.g. "headsets only please") is very useful so I don't get stuck with a load of pre-pubescent kids or people who don't speak the same language as myself. I'm also enjoying playing on the Sony servers - a lag free game of Resistance with 40 players is amazing after struggling to host 10-16 on GRAW. Anyhow, that's just my view. Sorry if sounds a bit fanboyish but I'm just loving my new investment. I would still say that the 360's the safest bet for the casual gamer but with the amount I play I just couldn't handle sending the thing back every three months.
post #52 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-17, 09:19 AM

Though I've had a ton of issues with my 360 (I went through 7, but never paid a dime), I'd never dump the 360 in favour of the PS3. The 360 is an amazing gaming machine, yes, they had some serious design flaws, but what it's meant to do, it does it exceptionally well. The PS3, though the hardware design is impressive, and I actually really like the hardware, the software side, which is more important, is lousy! Their XMB stinks in comparison to the 360 dashboard, I find myself uber frustrated at times getting through that thing, way too many settings, and their online, what a joke. I have yet to game online, but just working your way through the online signup was a chore! I think they really dropped the ball from that perspective, free or not, it stinks right now. Given time I'm sure it'll improve, but enough to be even a remote competitor to live, I seriously doubt it.
post #53 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-18, 08:40 AM
Member #1

badstu, what gives? In this thread you say you don't have a PS. Are you trying to play both sides of the fence?

post #54 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-19, 06:52 PM

As much as I love the 360...

Including myself I know of 4 people that actively play theirs. 3/4 have died at one point or another.

One of them has had to replace his twice.

We work in the IT industry so we're not total idiots when it comes to giving the unit proper ventilation etc.

I have the feeling that without the one year headstart, the 360 would've been a non competitor.

The way it is now, the "best" games, or at least the superior versions of multi-platform games are currently on the 360 (2008 sports games as an example). Whereas the more reliable PS3 (possibly more powerful, but who knows, nothing worthwhile playing) sits in my AV centre doing nothing except play BR and DVD's.

The bottom line is, I'm hardly a fan of the 360, but geez it's a gaming system, and right now for next gen/HD gaming it's still currently the only game in town. I do admit that 40 players "lag-free" in Resistance sounds intriguing, but I'd have to consider it to be more than a coaster to even bother playing it (personal opinion of course!)
post #55 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-19, 08:12 PM

i own (and am very happy with) a 360 but am considering either a PS3 or a BR player. i have a question about the PS3: is it true there's no voice communication during gameplay? as a 360 Liver i find that hard to imagine, like my old DOOM days on the PC. if it's true, is it easy to get used to?
post #56 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-20, 10:19 AM

Well, after the latest price drop on the PS3 I decided the time was right to sell off all my Xbox 360 stuff (console plus 18 games) and buy a PS3. I am a casual gamer at best, although how I managed to accumulate so many games over the years is beyond me, and I really, really wanted to get a blu ray player to complement my HD-A1. So, for someone like me who never plays live on the 360, and who really appreciates superior picture and sound for my movies, I think the PS3 is an easy choice at its current price. One thing I will miss about the 360 is the easy to use, and wife friendly, media center. Oh, and my wife will miss playing Viva Pinata. Other than that, the fact that I now have a BD player as well as the ability to still play games if I want all in one nice package with HDMI out, it just makes sense for me.
post #57 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-20, 04:34 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceman View Post
i have a question about the PS3: is it true there's no voice communication during gameplay? as a 360 Liver i find that hard to imagine, like my old DOOM days on the PC. if it's true, is it easy to get used to?
No, it's not true at all. I chat with people on Resistance, Rainbow Six: Vegas, Calling All Cars, Warhawk (the beta), and I believe you can do it on Motorstorm as well (I haven't played that much, and haven't played online at all). I use a USB headset, but you can also use BT headsets with the system.

Gord
post #58 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-20, 10:27 PM

okay thanks, that is good to know. i don't know why i would have gotten that idea, it may have been pre-release rumours way back when or something. i idon't actually know anyone with a PS3 so i couldn't verify.
post #59 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-21, 01:54 AM
Veteran

You can also chat in the XMB, though I find there's some lag introduced there that I don't experience during games like Resistance.

I think the misinformation probably came from a 360 fan playing a game on a PS3 that didn't support voice chat, and assumed all the games lack the support. Obviously that's not the case It's also very nice being able to use a USB headset since I already had one that wasn't being used.

Gord
post #60 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-21, 04:23 PM

well, i ordered the PS3 from FS. i also ordered the 5-way HDMI switcher from monoprice and the nyko USB remote from amazon. everything should be coming in around the same time. i guess by this time next year the 4th gen BR players should be coming out and if i need to i can get those, or even a nice combo with analog outs may be get full audio. i was tempted with the Samsung 2400 (?) that's coming out in oct, with the HQV chip and everything, but i don't want to wait and, like i said, the BR hardware players are only going to get better.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in