PS3 vs XBOX 360 questions - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-09, 06:46 PM

I believe his point was that MS is on their way to trying to fix the problem, but that the problem is far from being adequately fixed. It will be a while before things are at acceptable levels.

Sony KDS-60A2000, Sony Playstation 1/2/3 (60gig) and PSP, Sony STR-DG910, Pioneer/Sony 7.1, 39 PS3 Games, 120 BR movies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-10, 12:49 AM
Veteran

entropy05: There are game sites that opened up the new 360 and it showed the improvement. Will it fix the problem, we will see.
post #33 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-10, 01:57 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSgamby View Post
I love the Media Center abilities.

I am able to listen to all of my Itunes playlist on my 360.
I'm able to do the same thing on my PS3.

Gord

post #34 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-10, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis_A51 View Post
I believe his point was that MS is on their way to trying to fix the problem, but that the problem is far from being adequately fixed. It will be a while before things are at acceptable levels.
My point is that (in my opinion) MS has very little credibility left--witness Peter Moore and Todd Holmdahl's recent interviews. Now they say "problem solved"?

Last edited by entropy05; 2007-07-10 at 10:03 AM.
post #35 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-10, 09:50 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy05 View Post
My point is that (in my opinion) MS has very little credibility left--witness Peter Moore and Todd Holmdahl's recent interviews. Now they say problem solved?
We really should be fair about this whole thing. Maybe they made a design decision that they knew was suspect, gambled and lost. They appear to have been pretty cheap with the parts not wanting to put in the extra heat sink. They also denied the failure rate (funny, some would hav e you believe that only Sony denies stuff) and were eventually called to task to fix their sub-par console release (I cannot in the history of popular consumer electronics recall any with an estimated 33% failure rate).

However, having said all that, they have acknowledged the problem, they have started to fix the issue, they are extending their warranty. That demonstrates to me a (finally) level of commitment to the consumer of their product.

I know very well that if they didn't, it would certainly open a larger door/hole for the PS3 to continue peaking through so it was a smart business decision (maybe even a class action lawsuit could have been brewing). Regardless of motivation, their consoles from now on should be of a much more acceptable failure rate and existing consoles get a reprieve and a new life.

Cal
post #36 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-10, 10:02 AM

A little more on credibility (from Level Up):

Quote:
Microsoft is saying, "Trust us," but given the sheer number of anecdotes about broken Xbox 360s and customer service horror stories, gamers ought to be able to quantify precisely how much trust Microsoft is asking of them. And the fact that Microsoft won't put a number to the failure rate and won't say which batch numbers are affected--while continuing to leave flawed machines on store shelves and in consumers' homes; while not even giving people advice on how to manage their Xbox 360's life span without resorting to Microsoft customer service--to us, that is equally unacceptable.
(Emphasis mine)
post #37 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-10, 02:46 PM
Veteran

I think the "sheer number of anecdotes" about *working* XBOX 360s would drown out the anecdotes about broken 360s, but you generally don't post things like "I have a 360 and it's working". As I said in another thread, my step-son and 3 of his friends all have 360s and none of them have had problems. I don't personally know of anybody who has. This is really the norm rather than the exception. Whoever came up with 33% as a failure rate is pulling numbers out of the air.
post #38 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-11, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyG View Post
Whoever came up with 33% as a failure rate is pulling numbers out of the air.
I can easily see how it can be this high, based on: (1) the total cost to MS, (2) the cost per repair each one, and (3) the total number of 360s that MS is intending to sell before the problem is fixed (i.e., 65nm chip which runs cooler, new additional GPU heat sink currently being installed in repaired consoles), bringing the reliability to within industry norm for consumer electronics.

If the cost to MS per repair is $200US, they could repair 5 million 360s for $1 billion. Over to total of 15 million 360s before the redesign, the $1 billion would cover an expected failure rate of 33%

Sony 60EX645 | Sonos S5 | PS3 | Wii | Apple TV2 | Xbox 360 | 52W3000 | Yamaha RX-V620 | Mirage Omnisat 6
post #39 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-11, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyG View Post
I think the "sheer number of anecdotes" about *working* XBOX 360s would drown out the anecdotes about broken 360s, but you generally don't post things like "I have a 360 and it's working".
Irony in 3, 2, 1...

Quote:
As I said in another thread, my step-son and 3 of his friends all have 360s and none of them have had problems. I don't personally know of anybody who has. This is really the norm rather than the exception. Whoever came up with 33% as a failure rate is pulling numbers out of the air.
The 33% figure is based on an informal telephone survey of retailers. While by no means is it to be considered as a hard fact, it does give a good idea of just how widespread the issue is (and is probably as close as we will get to a fact). Honestly, I don't know how people can continue to deny that a: there is a problem, and b: it is huge. Do you really think that MS just ate $1 billion just to shut up some internet fanboys?
post #40 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-11, 10:44 AM

Yes, there's a big problem, but, MS is taking care of it. And to be honest, even though I've had many issues with my 360, the gaming I've had on the system FAR surpasses the issues. It's been one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had, and I've been playing since the Atari days!
post #41 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-11, 10:55 AM

Location: ottawa,sony kdfe42a10,rogers 8300HD,oppo 971H,STRDG820,Energy take classic,ps3,macbook,No mon$ters
Microsoft holds firm on Xbox 360 pricing

SANTA MONICA, California (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp. (MSFT.O: Quote, Profile, Research) said on Tuesday it will hold firm on pricing for its Xbox 360 game console, defying widespread expectations that it would respond to a price cut by rival Sony Corp. (6758.T: Quote, Profile, Research) for the PlayStation 3.

http://www.reuters.com/article/ousiv...27420320070711
post #42 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-11, 10:59 AM
Veteran

They might "hold firm" but that doesn't mean they won't create a killer bundle for the current price!

They might just be...ahem...playing games...with Sony though with the whole "no means yes" deal.
post #43 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-11, 11:13 AM

A 360 price cut might make more sense closer to/simultaneous with the launch of Halo 3...
post #44 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-11, 11:28 AM

Or even a Halo 3 packaged 360 Elite.
post #45 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-11, 01:17 PM
Veteran

And Sony was holding firm on their price until it changed a week later

Gord

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in