PS3 vs XBOX 360 questions - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-04, 03:10 PM
Veteran

I love the Media Center abilities.

I am able to listen to all of my Itunes playlist on my 360.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-04, 04:45 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSgamby View Post
I love the Media Center abilities.
Me too. I have all my MP3's and vids shared from my PC to my PS3. It works awesome.

Cal
post #18 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-04, 04:53 PM

Yeah I stream vids and music from my laptop to my PS3, works great, thanks to the built in wifi.

Sony KDS-60A2000, Sony Playstation 1/2/3 (60gig) and PSP, Sony STR-DG910, Pioneer/Sony 7.1, 39 PS3 Games, 120 BR movies

post #19 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-06, 11:56 AM

1. Both consoles have EA
2. Online connectivity on the 360 is far superior to the PS3s, but ya, it costs you a little money, just look for deals for Xbox Live Gold cards.
3. Well if you were, the 360's shooters are amazing, Gears of War is the best example, as is Lost Planet
4. 360 is the cheaper unit
5. A lot more games available for the 360, both for sale and rent
6. The 360 is loud, but the newer units aren't as loud as the original units; the PS3 is quieter from what I've heard, no pun intended.
7. Yes, lots of problems out there, but Peter Moore just announced a new 3 year warranty which covers the common Red Rings of Death issue. I highly recommend an extended warranty though, through MS or the store you buy it from.
8. I don't find the drive to be problematic at all, it's a fairly loud drive, unless you get the BenQ model, but that's cause it's spinning at 12x, so what do you expect?
9. Standard HDMI cable, but if you get the 360 Elite, you get an HDMI cable with it.
10. PS3 batteries are built in, but that means if they crap out, you have to deal with Sony to replace it, or buy a new one. 360 you can pop in your own rechargeables, or buy the MS rechargeable battery pack.
11. PS3 has wifi built in
12. Free, but also crap in comparison

I said I wouldn't buy the HD DVD drive either, but I bought it since it's so inexpensive, just recently it was $160 at Bestbuy, but I bought it a long time ago for $180. I also now have 10+ HD-DVDs in a matter of months, I barely have more regular DVDs than this.

If gaming is your main aspect, then it's simple, get a 360, far better games, far better online service.

Quote:
With the conclusion of the original XBOX, I am now in the market for a new console. I have been looking at the PS3 online and in the stores, and I borrowed a buddies 360 to try.

My needs/concerns for a console are:
1. Has to have the EA sports franchise (NHL, Madden, Tiger Woods and Baseball)
2. Online connectivity is important for those games
3. I am not into shooting or action games (not enough to impact a decision)
Concerns
4. Price is a concern
5. I am not much of a renter, I like to buy a couple games a year.
6. The 360 fan is really loud. It is much louder than the previous generation. Is the PS3 any quieter?
7. I know that a lot of people have had some problems with the 360, but am I only hearing about it because I hang out here? Is it a big problem?
8. The drive in the 360 sounds like my $30 dvd player when it opens and closes. There are clunks and you can really hear it moving. Is this normal, or just the 360 I borrowed?
9. The PS3 doesn't come with HD cables, can I use a standard HDMI cable, or do I have to buy a special one from Sony?
10. I know the 360 controllers take batteries, does the PS3? If not, how long does the batter last before it no longer holds a charge?
11. Both the 360 and PS3 have wireless wifi built in, correct?
12. I can't find the price for the PS3s online service, does anyone know it?

If I did get a PS3, i would probably get some blu-rays, but I doub't I would get the HD DVD drive for the 360.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.
post #20 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-09, 12:08 PM
Veteran

I didn't even open up the cables that came with it. Just plugged in the optical audio and HDMI cables I had.

Monoprice is the best place for cables eh? I need to a 20+ ft HDMI cable to connect my PC to my TV. Seems that $50 is the best price I can find here even at the cheaper places.
post #21 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-09, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeBane View Post
I agree with DS... wait until a retailer actually drops the price online or in a flyer. You don't want to get boned for the additional $110 and tax if you don't have to.

And if price was a huge factor, wait a little longer as I'm sure MS will announce 360 pricedrops before long.
The more I read on the 360s problems, the more scared I get. When I read numbers as high as 33% fail, it makes the decision easier to make to go PS3. I know that MS provides the waranty, but I don't want the hassle of calling and returning it. I have my hands full with my Shaw cable to take on anything else.
post #22 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-09, 01:50 PM
Veteran

the thing is MS has fixed the problem with the consoles (and with ones that are replaced for the problem)

Last edited by DSgamby; 2007-07-09 at 01:55 PM.
post #23 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-09, 02:23 PM
Veteran

now all it needs is a some good games
post #24 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-09, 02:27 PM

Location: ottawa,sony kdfe42a10,rogers 8300HD,oppo 971H,STRDG820,Energy take classic,ps3,macbook,No mon$ters
and while waiting, rent a few PS2 games.
post #25 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-09, 02:30 PM
Veteran

I got a PS2 so that is not worth spending that much money for games that I can already play.
post #26 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-09, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Once i head that NHL 08 was not coming out for xbox or Wii, I had to upgrade to either the PS3 or the Xbox 360. With Madden and NCAA football, Motorstorm and GTA, that will keep me busy into the new year. I am really looking forward to getting Goodfellas on Blu-ray also.
post #27 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-09, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSgamby View Post
the thing is MS has fixed the problem with the consoles (and with ones that are replaced for the problem)
Not to sound like too much of a fanboy here, but that is only according to MS. Until we see an end to all the RROD talk (which admittedly will probably continue even if the problems are fixed), I doubt that even the one billion dollars will be enough to both reimburse everybody already affected for their warranty and shipping costs as well as re-engineering (and reworking existing inventory) the existing design flaws.
post #28 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-09, 05:33 PM
Veteran

All I know is that my step-son and 3 of his friends use their 360s extensively and I'm not aware of a single hardware problem among them.
post #29 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-09, 05:53 PM

...which is all well and good, excepting MS has admitted that there is a problem, and they have stated that they, not their assemblers or suppliers are to blame, indicating a design flaw.
post #30 of 103 (permalink) Old 2007-07-09, 06:26 PM

entropy05:

MS admits they have a problem. They admit it's a design flaw. You like pointing these points out.

Yet, when they also indicate they have already started making changes to fix the issue you call BS. Not coming across as a fanboy?

I commend them for admitting it's their fault, for addressing the issue and also extending the warranty. Though they should have done it alot earlier.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in