Microsoft owns up to Xbox 360's disc-scratching problem - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 2007-04-16, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Microsoft owns up to Xbox 360's disc-scratching problem

They are even replacing the damaged discs ... for $20

http://xbox360.qj.net/Microsoft-owns...g/49/aid/89569
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 2007-04-17, 01:54 PM
Veteran

How can you tell if your console is affected by this? When you push eject on our 360, the disc is still spinning when the tray ejects and it makes a horrible sound while doing it. Is this the problem at all? My step-son takes reasonable care of his discs, but they are all covered with scratches and he's starting to have problems with a number of them.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 2007-04-17, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

If you have the problem, it will make perfect circles as scratches (did it to my friends xbox).

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 2007-04-25, 12:55 PM

What is insulting with this "replacement program" is that MS will only replace some games (their games).. not all of them. I just don't get it!

They are telling us it is true the console can damage discs.. but not all disc..? Only some of them, the ones that we (MS) are producing?

I really don't get it. Why don't they replace all disc? There is a sitution with the console.. why don't you just replace disc we can proove were damage by the console? Of course it is going to be expensive for them.. but still!?

Anyone have an idea on that?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 2007-04-25, 01:33 PM
Veteran

Well, to be fair, if you bought a new HP computer and the DVD drive in it scratches your original Photoshop, Office, and Norton discs, would you expect HP to replace the drive AND the discs?

IMHO, all software companies should have a reasonable disc replacement program for damaged discs (send in the old plus a few bucks, get a replacement). This should go for all manner of discs - games, audio CDs, DVD movies, etc. We have a couple of 360 discs that are starting to fail to load intermittently, so I'll be founding out how "reasonable" these programs are soon enough - if they even exist at all!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 2007-04-25, 01:35 PM
Veteran

BTW...in the 360, is it normal behaviour for the disc to still be spinning when the drawer opens?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 2007-04-25, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyG View Post
Well, to be fair, if you bought a new HP computer and the DVD drive in it scratches your original Photoshop, Office, and Norton discs, would you expect HP to replace the drive AND the discs?

IMHO, all software companies should have a reasonable disc replacement program for damaged discs (send in the old plus a few bucks, get a replacement). This should go for all manner of discs - games, audio CDs, DVD movies, etc. We have a couple of 360 discs that are starting to fail to load intermittently, so I'll be founding out how "reasonable" these programs are soon enough - if they even exist at all!
JohnnyG
If, let's suppose HP tell us that the unit they are producing is defective, yes, I would expect to have the unit replace and at least to receive a "compensation". In this case, if you look on some website, MS told us they are aware of this situation (Console can damage discs) and they also have a replacement program (For discs) on XBox website.

This is what I don't understand.. why do they only replace their own disc? Is MS telling us their game discs are weaker/more fragile than any other one?

Last edited by Kane0405; 2007-04-25 at 03:11 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 2007-04-26, 10:50 AM
Veteran

I can only imagine it's because they simply do not have, and do not have access to, discs from other manufacturers to offer for replacement.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 2007-04-27, 05:37 PM

Wink

I'm sure MS could spend some money on those disc.. from what I've seen, couple of users are having a situation with their 36O damaging disc.. if they purchase enough copy of each disc to replace the ones that were damage, they might have a price break from the dealer and save some money lol
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 2007-07-17, 01:11 PM

Question XBox 360 Disc Maintenance Issue

I just bought my 360 less than a month ago; I do the OCD thing after playing any game and check the bottom of the disc for scratches, etc.

I have noticed that there are no scratches, but there are dust like smudges all around the disc/s that I have played with.

The disc/s seem to play fine right now, but I was wondering whether this is normal and anybody else has had similar experiences (i.e. maybe new XBOX 360)?

Thanks...
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 2007-07-17, 05:23 PM

I've never had a problem with disc scratching. I keep my unit in the horizontal position, cause personally, I don't like when cd's are spinning vertically.

Just to make sure you don't get any scratches, take the game out of the drive before moving the 360. This is where scratching can occur.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 2007-07-17, 07:18 PM

Thanks for your input...

But actually, I am already playing my games horizontally; also, there are not scratches on the games, only dust-like smudges around the outer rim.

The games work fine as of right now, but I am wondering for future purposes (i.e. if it is actually dust, or something else).

Any more help/info would greatly be appreciated...

Thanks...
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 2007-07-21, 10:24 AM

Realistically though, JohnnyG is right. All software manufacturers should offer reasonable media replacement programs, everyone from professional app manufacturers like Adobe right down the line to video game producers, as well as music and video media. Really, why wouldn't they? If you're sending in the originals, it's obviously a legitimate issue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in