Wii worth it? - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old 2007-04-23, 05:43 PM

I play the PS3 more

My 12 year old son and I have had the Wii and the PS3 since before Christmas and will probably get the Xbox360 when Halo 3 comes out. We also have a PS2, Xbox, GameCube, and DS.

We play the Wii when we have guests over (or if we bring it to family events, i.e., at Christmas/Easter) and have everyone, include non-gamers, loves it. Other than that, we don't really play it much at all since (and we have about 10 games for it).

However, I spend most of the 3-4 hours of game time I have per week on the PS3. We currently have about PS3 games for it. My son spends more hours, split 60/30/10 between the PC (online games), PS3 (currently into Oblivion), and the Nitendo DS. When my son has his friends over, they usually go for the PS3, Xbox, and PS2.

Sony 60EX645 | Sonos S5 | PS3 | Wii | Apple TV2 | Xbox 360 | 52W3000 | Yamaha RX-V620 | Mirage Omnisat 6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old 2007-04-25, 09:30 PM

Is the Wii worth it ??

Let's just say nothing better then playing tennis with my 4 year old son, or boxing with my eight year old daughter.

It is a family machine, and blast to play.

Had one since the first weekend, and finally got the 4th remote, so we the wife and i can play doubles against the kids.
post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old 2007-04-26, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burden View Post
It is a family machine, and blast to play.
That's my point. Its a family machine. Once my daughter is over 5, I'll buy one for the family too.

But for playing sports online with friends or for playing "different" games (have to be careful what word I use here since Nintendo fans are extra sensitive) like Mass Effect, Gears Of War or Metal Gear Solid the wii is not the machine to get.

But if you're looking for a fun experience where the whole family can join, the 360 and PS3 are NOT good options IMO.

It all depends on what you're looking for.

post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old 2007-04-26, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

You make some good points Calvin, and I'm sure tons of gamers feel the same way.
For me though, I don't see the benefit of playing the same games with better graphics I know the difference between last gen and current gen games are significant to many, but not to me, to me its the same stuff with better graphics. That's what I like about the wii, it offers different types of games like Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicals, and old games that give me that nostalic feeling.
post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old 2007-04-26, 02:33 PM

Worth it?

You bet.

Wii is the first game system I have owned since my Atari 2600, about 25 years back. Glad I waited.
post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old 2007-04-26, 04:47 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuvhandles View Post
You make some good points Calvin, and I'm sure tons of gamers feel the same way.
For me though, I don't see the benefit of playing the same games with better graphics I know the difference between last gen and current gen games are significant to many, but not to me, to me its the same stuff with better graphics. That's what I like about the wii, it offers different types of games like Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicals, and old games that give me that nostalic feeling.
This is pretty much exactly the point for everyone to understand. If an individual plays games (or has played games), then they have some concept of what they enjoy and will gravitate to whatever provides them that. Those that haven't played games will gravitate to something that looks like a lot of fun.

Someone new to gaming may watch someone playing 360, PS3, or some other standard gen/next gen console and may or may not look like fun to them. But when people watch someone playing a Wii, there appears to be more interactive and physical aspect to it that may shatter some bad stereotypes of game playing and make it look like fun to them.

Again, it's a very personal thing and it's hard for anyone to tell someone about a game console's worthiness without knowing what inspires the potential player/user.

Cal
post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old 2007-04-27, 07:28 AM

Worth every penny for me and my family. One must look at what they want in a game system. I'm 35 and I bought it because I have a 5 yr old son and I wanted a system that both he and I could enjoy. We have a great time playing the Wii sports together. The remote is basic, not too many buttons like the other systems, us old guys don't have that kind of coordination and easy for a 5 yr old to use. I picked up the Disney Cars game, he loves it, but it's not really my style. I've had the system for two weeks, need to try some more games but I give it a big thumbs up!
post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old 2007-04-27, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfy71 View Post
The remote is basic, not too many buttons like the other systems, us old guys don't have that kind of coordination and easy for a 5 yr old to use.
Woa woa....no insults please....

I'm pretty sure alot of PS3 and Xbox 360 owners are over 30. I'm 30 and so are most of my friends. We have no issues with grabbing the controller and playing sports or co-op shooters online. You just enjoy Nintendo's simplistic approach to gaming. Which is fine. But I just don't think age has anything to do with anything. It all depends on taste and what you're looking for.
post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old 2007-04-27, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camilos View Post
Woa woa....no insults please....

I'm pretty sure alot of PS3 and Xbox 360 owners are over 30. I'm 30 and so are most of my friends. We have no issues with grabbing the controller and playing sports or co-op shooters online. You just enjoy Nintendo's simplistic approach to gaming. Which is fine. But I just don't think age has anything to do with anything. It all depends on taste and what you're looking for.
Yes, tastes and what you are looking for do play a factor in your gaming enjoyment. The problem though with the traditional game formats (XBOX, PS3) is that the target audience is known because they continue to buy into the upgrade cycle with better graphics.

The Nintendo Wii though has expanded into a NEW target audience because of the unique playability factor. The operating results for Nintendo point this out loud and clear. Even after 5 months of distribution the Wii is still hard to find. Mark my words, ALL next generation consoles will need the interactivity feature or they will die. This is the gaming future as I foresee holographic gaming as the next step in interactivity. No more sitting and using your thumbs. You will be completely immersed in the game. The Wii is the console that has started this.

John IMHO

BEV 6131, 9242
DishPro LNB/Multiswitch
post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old 2007-04-30, 01:14 PM

Wii is worth it, if you want to game with friends/family. It was worth it for the fact alone that I got my wife to finally play a console game with me (even if she did beat me at bowling).

My 4 year old loves playing bowling and golf. He even likes tennis, but just wiggles the remote back and forth hoping to hit the ball (however when serving somehow he smokes some serves past me). The fact that I got my family gaming together has made the Wii worth its weight in gold.

My 2 cents.
post #41 of 44 (permalink) Old 2007-04-30, 01:31 PM
Veteran

My parents came down to visit us last week (they're from new-brunswick). None of them are techies and video games are foreign to them. But once I showed them the Wii, I couldn't stop them. They both had a kick at challenging each other on bowling and my father loved golf so much that he almost bought the Tiger Woods game just to play it on my Wii.

Needless to say, now they're hunting to buy one of their own. I said good luck to that!
post #42 of 44 (permalink) Old 2007-04-30, 01:34 PM

Location: Red Deer, Alberta Shaw Digital, TH42PX75, AVR145, Polk Audio RM6750 Speakers, DCT6412 III PVR
Wii

My brother bought the Wii from WalMart on the weekend. We both had a blast playing it and had a bunch of laughs. The controls take awhile to get used too but that is one of the reasons we loved it so much. Next weekend I have family comming over and asked my brother to make sure he brings his new Wii so we can all enjoy it.
post #43 of 44 (permalink) Old 2007-05-02, 08:36 PM

woohoo!!! our wii finally arrived. hooked it up already, and performed the system update. kids love it. i am still undecided about the component cables though...
post #44 of 44 (permalink) Old 2007-05-07, 01:13 AM

The Wii is definitely worth it in our house. I find Wii Sports gets the most play, but I think that will change once Mario Party 8 comes out!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in