Wii worth it? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 2007-04-20, 10:59 AM
Veteran

I think it's a great group console, but really not much of a solo. Mine gathers dust until I have get togethers at my place. It comes alive and it's a great hit. We always have a lot of fun. Then when the party is over, it goes back to the closet until another party. It just isn't enough to be a standalone platform with the 360 and PS3 out there (I have all of them).

Cal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 2007-04-20, 12:45 PM

For group sessions, its a great system. But for real gaming, it can't really compete with the other systems.

Nintendo isn't marketing it for real gamers, its a mass market machine. The strategy seems to be working for them.

But if you're into games like Gears of War, Grand Theft Auto and Metal Gear Solid. You'll be very disappointed.
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 2007-04-20, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camilos View Post
For group sessions, its a great system. But for real gaming, it can't really compete with the other systems.
What's 'real gaming'? I could say that Sony & MS don't offer real gaming if you're into platform games like Donkey Kong, Mario, or quest games like Zelda. I mean, how silly are those 2 statements?

post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 2007-04-21, 12:29 AM
Veteran

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy those occasionally as well, but in the time that I spend playing games, I want to get the most I can from that experience and I think that gamers in general today demand a lot more from their consoles. They are looking for Oblivions, Gears of War, Halo x, Supreme Commanders, Gran Turismo, FEAR, HL2, etc. The Wii just doesn't have the faculties to provide the gamer with nearly that rich visual and sound experience. Casual enjoyment, sure. Group entertainment? Absolutely. But a serious offering in this generation of consoles? My opinion is no.

Wii has sold a lot of consoles because it appealed to groups of people that it would not normally appeal to because of it's wiimote. WIthout that, no way it would have sold nearly this number of consoles. But my thoughts are it's a novelty to those groups and that a) it will settle down b) those groups aren't going to be buying a lot of content. I have plenty of gaming friends and none of them (not one) plays the Wii the most. The majority of their gaming time is spent on the 360, PS3, or PC.

Nintendo took this route because I don't think it could manage putting out something on par with PS3 and 360 and therefore changed its strategy. It worked because it sold a great deal of consoles due to the price and novelty, but I think it won't have high game sales.

Cal
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 2007-04-21, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywalk View Post
What's 'real gaming'? I could say that Sony & MS don't offer real gaming if you're into platform games like Donkey Kong, Mario, or quest games like Zelda. I mean, how silly are those 2 statements?
Donkey Kong and Mario? My idea of serious gaming are games like Knights of The old republic, Oblivion or Gears.

I guess we just don't agree on what serious gaming is.
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 2007-04-21, 10:09 AM

I think that due to the Wii's surprising sales, you are going to see some major games come to the platform. The PS3 is now mostly readily available and the Wii is outselling it and the XBox if I am not mistaken and still in limited availablity.

So the games are going to come to the Wii and yes the controller is definately a selling point as the BluRay is supposed to be a selling point on the PS3. As to graphics, have you seen Blue Angel...excellent graphics and my son is pleasantly surprised by the game/machine. The PS3/XBox may have better graphics, but the game play in my opinion is more important...But the graphics on the Wii are very acceptable when graphics are a key point in a game (like Blue Angel).

Alt
post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 2007-04-21, 11:45 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywalk View Post
Let's not forget:

Ratchet and Clank I, II, III
Sly Cooper I, II, III
Jak n Daxter I, II, III
Psychonauts
Lego Star Wars I, II
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 2007-04-21, 12:45 PM

Opp's that should be the Wii is still in limited availability.

Alt
post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 2007-04-21, 09:47 PM

All I disagree with is the use of the term 'serious gaming'. You can have your games and play and like/love them all you want, but nothing about them makes them 'serious', just fun for you.
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 2007-04-22, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

1: Serious gaming:
I disagree that the wii can't offer serious gaming (I.E gaming that isn't a novelty). Title's like:
Super Mario Strikers(gc),
Resident Evil 4 (gc),
Resident Evil Chronicals (which is why I want the wii),
All the old VC games
All the awesome gamecube games I haven't played yet(since I owned ps2 prior)
There is tons of stuff to offer serious gaming.

2: The novelty of the remote
While the remote is nothing more than a hyped up mouse, what I like is that you do'nt have to use the remote for "real" games (not just mini games like wii sports). I.E, in the new mortal kombat game comming out, you can use either the gamecube controller, classic controler, or wii mote. As more serious games come out, I believe this will be a staple. It's nice to know that there will be two types of games, "normal games" that use the normal control, and novelty games/real games that use the wii mote (To clarify, Resident Evil Chronicals will use the wii mote, but is definitly not a novelty game).
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 2007-04-22, 02:20 PM
Veteran

I know people are reaching when they start pulling out previous gen console games for new gen. Wii isn't offereing anything new when it allows you to play RE 4 (which btw, is multiplatform anyhow), old vc is just that.. old. I only offered up RC, Jak, Sly, and Psychonauts as demonstrations that both MS and Sony can deliver platformer content.. and do it very well at that.

If you want to pull out old libraries, can you imagine the total selection from PS1 and PS2? That's over 10,000 titles. That's quite a selection.

My problem with the Wii is that it's really a Gamecube with slightly faster processor, a little more RAM, and a gimmick-stick. That's it. It can offer only the same level/complexity/visual/performance as a gamecube. Gamecube had some excellent games, but remarkably small number of them. Nobody ever considered GC in the same league as xbox and PS2 to begin with, but here were are with a generation later of Xbox 360 and PS3 and now a slightly better GC. If those things weren't important, we would have never progressed beyond 8-bit. Instead now we buy the occasional revamped 8bit game out of nostaligia but long for the truly rewarding titles.

Cal
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 2007-04-22, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Just to clarify, I wasn't reaching at all, if by that you mean I was trying to make the wii seem like a better console than the ps3/xbox 360. I was just trying to point out that it can deliver real games too, not just gimmick ones. Both ps3/360 both have the power to deliver the future. What I like about the wii, is it's a little of both worlds. It has the ability to deliver nostalgia, and it has the ability to deliver next gen games (obviously not at the degree the ps3/360 can, but which good developers, the games will still be great, just w/o high def graphics.

Personally I think HD is over hyped. I'm biased though, I know lots of people who really get off on the visual stimulation HD graphics offers. But to me, its all about gameplay elements. I still play the fallout games to this day. And I don't think the jump from ps2/xbox graphics to ps3/360 are that amazing. Sure they are better, but the difference isn't as big as super nintendo to n64, or even ps1 to ps2. HD game graphics is an improvement, but not a revolution. The last NHL game on ps2, will still play the same on the ps3, just a little bit prettier...Yet somehow I don't think it'll give me anymore of a wow feeling than playing nhl 64 on the genesis. Why? Because the gameplay is the same, and for the graphics, well i've seen 'em before.
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 2007-04-22, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Instead now we buy the occasional revamped 8bit game out of nostaligia but long for the truly rewarding titles.
Or buy the latest high priced Next Gen console and get the same games with pretty graphical coats of paint.

At least the Wii offers a new play mechanic to the mix. It will be interesting to see how the Wii version of RE4 shakes out.
post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 2007-04-22, 10:59 PM
Veteran

wuvhandles,

When folks start talking about backwards compatibility or old game libraries being played on the new consoles, it has often been in trying to bump up the library offering for the new console. I don't mean it in a negative way because it is a valid point from a whole library available perspective, but in terms of making arguments about next gen abilities, I personally don't factor that stuff in. If I want to play a GC game, I'll play my GC. If I want to play a PS2 game, I'll use my PS2. The most I give backward compatibilities is a nice nod for a component space saver. That's it. I would much rather successor console forget about previous gen games if it means the consoles will be cheaper and arrive faster (and be easier to develop for).

HD may be overhyped, but for me, it makes a difference. I am certainly not saying that I like a pretty face with no brains. Gameplay is most definitely the most important aspect of the game, but more complex games require more from your system. I like realism, I like physics. I like platformers where tonnes and tonnes of things are going on, they are moving fast and the world is very attractive. As our gaming ideas mature and new genres emgerge, more power and abilities is needed in addition to nice graphics. I just see no such step taken with the Wii so the games that are possible are basically what was possible on the GC with a twist (wiimote) and that's just not enough for me.

Old Darth: And yes, neat play mechanic, but those games that will benefit from such a mechanic are limited (and will be limited) and when it's not useful, all you are left with is a GC+ (and I see little value in the Silaxis as well).

Cal

P.S. I have every major console released starting with NES so it's not like I am playing favourites or being a fanboy.
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 2007-04-23, 04:18 AM

I used to be an avid gamer with everything from the commodore 16 to the Amiga to the playstation but found my interest wained around the time of the ps2 because most games were the same (1st person shooters).

The Wii has made me interested in games again. I love it.

Ive never been a huge Nintendo fan but have to give them credit for bring us something new.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in