What's the best game you didn't expect to like, but? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 2007-03-28, 04:42 AM Thread Starter

What's the best game you didn't expect to like, but?

What's the best game you ever played that you didn't expect to like, but you ended up loving it? I'm thinking back to 1997 for one of my picks. The Playstation was hot, so was the N64 and 3-D snobbery was no joke. I read all the magazines at the time and PSM (Playstation Magazine) gave Castlevania: Symphony of the Night game of the year after all was said and done for '97, while other magazines gave that honor to something else. I was quite shocked. I think vampire themes are lame, (still do) and although my all-time favs are dedicated arcade side scrollers like Rygar, Black Tiger and Rastan Saga, I scoffed at the idea. Many months later, and still scoffing at the idea, I made myself pick up the game to see why it got game of the year.

I managed to get the game used for 19.99 and threw it in my PSX. I played it for about a ½ an hour or more and I thought I was right. I was using this crappy "red rust" sword that a skeleton dropped and wasn't having fun. I didn't play the game for another month or two, but when I did, I realized I was using a cursed sword and switched to something else. I began to see how many secrets, items and bosses there were to encounter and I was hooked! The music was also amazing and kept renewing with each new area of the castle discovered. Great classical music (with some avant-garde) has never had as much of a front seat since that game.

So, what game did you practically avoid at all costs, but ended up as a true favorite in your collection?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 2007-03-28, 10:04 AM

virtual tennis for dreamcast!!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 2007-03-28, 04:33 PM

I know I have the title wrong...

But Sega Genesis' "Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine" I was sure I was going to hate because "tetris" like shape games bored me to tears.

But the 2 player game, where if you clear 2 or more sequences at the same time and it throws down "rocks" into your opponents jar messing up his patterns is just a blast.

It's the 1 title in the Sega Genesis collection for my Xbox that the whole family plays in tournaments and the laughing and jeering goings on are rampant! When you hear your opponent yell "ROCKS!"..you know you're in trouble..

if you told me last year I'd love a puzzle game I'd laugh at you...I like being proved wrong in this case!

FortMacDude
FR : Hitachi 57F500, Pioneer VSX-1018AH, PS3, Bell 9200, Energy 5.1
LR: Samsung 40A530, Sony S550, Kenwood HTB 504, Xbox 360, Wii

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 2007-03-28, 11:37 PM

I'd have to say Knights of the old republic. I played it for 10 minutes and said to myself .. What the hell is this? The game pauses during battles?!!?

So I didn't touch it for a month. What a game it turned out to be.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 2007-03-30, 09:28 AM

I thought Guitar Hero was pretty dumb until I picked up the SG controller for the first time and rocked out. I now own both Guitar Hero 1 and 2 for the PS2 and they are both amazing games.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 2007-04-06, 03:37 AM

Mafia for the PC.

I expected it to be a GTA clone, but it has SOO much more story & immerses you into the 30's gangster theme. Maybe not as flashy, or as much going on as GTA... but the really well designed story, sounds and overall FEEL of the game make it one of my all-time favs
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 2007-04-06, 11:36 PM

agreed - Mafia was amazing - Little Tommy had to work his way up to the top. I loved that game.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 2007-04-22, 09:13 PM

Roadkill for the original Xbox. I bought this game on a whim and ended up playing it right thruogh, earning all the achievements and goals then wiping out my profile and starting again. I did this about 5 times. If you give this game a chance it will make an addict out of you. The driving physics seem over the top and akward at first, but once mastered are one of the things that make the game so much fun. Be warned, this game is for adults only and should not be played by children. The game is violent and crude but ooooooooh so much fun.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 2007-04-22, 10:55 PM

Location: Red Deer, Alberta Shaw Digital, TH42PX75, AVR145, Polk Audio RM6750 Speakers, DCT6412 III PVR
F.E.A.R. I had heard it was good so I bought it and what a game. Sometimes I had to go turn the lights on it was freaking me out so bad (and Im a Old guy). One of the best games I have ever played.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 2007-04-23, 07:56 PM

What did I expect not to like but did?

Easily, Katamari Damacy.

When my friend told me about it, I thought "what, so its a damn game about rolling a ball around? How is that fun?"

Boy was I wrong.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 2007-04-23, 08:11 PM

Super Princess Peach that I bought my daughter... not exactly difficult, but a fun title none the less.

For the N64... snowboard kids, and snowboard kids 2.... kinda mario kart type of deal... very very addicitive... of course, you didnt really win by good technique, as much as luck of what items you drew, but that was the fun... always racing, pegging eachother off, and getting annoyed cause its 'not fair'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in