Folding@Home on the PS3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 2007-03-24, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

[email protected] on the PS3

PS3's got the [email protected] application with the latest system update (1.6), and the gaming consoles have been hard at work processing information to help understand diseases like Parkinson's and certain types of cancer. Here's the stats page showing the power the PS3 has brought to the project:

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...?qtype=osstats

I'm on my 6th work unit right now. It would be great if they ported the application to the 360 as well.

Gord
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 2007-03-24, 03:12 PM

Agreed. It would cool if they ported it to the 360. There's a lot unharnessed computing power out there.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 2007-03-24, 04:14 PM

The stats are insane.

602 TFLOP from 25k PS3 users

152 TFLOP from 160k PCs

Telus Optik and Shaw Gateway.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 2007-03-24, 05:17 PM

I'm not sure I understand the numbers correctly. Is this saying that after just a couple of days release to PS3, that the PS3 computational capability outweighs all other [email protected] clients put together?

Seems improbable to me, unless the number crunching power of the Cell is a lot higher than I realized.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 2007-03-24, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Yup, that's exactly what it's saying, Beef. The press release said the PS3 would be 10 times the power of a PC. Right now the PS3 is doing 71.5% of the work of all the clients, and there's an organized PS3 folding event tomorrow night (though something tells me most people that will participate are already folding now).

Here's the official press release:

SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT JOINS STANFORD UNIVERSITY [email protected] PROGRAM TO FURTHER MEDICAL RESEARCH

TOKYO and FOSTER CITY, Calif., March 15, 2007 – Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) today announced that PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) computer entertainment systems will have the capability to connect to Stanford University’s [email protected] program, a distributed computing project aimed at understanding protein folding, misfolding and related diseases. [email protected] is leveraging PS3’s powerful Cell Broadband Engine™ (Cell/B.E.) – and what will be an even more powerful distributed supercomputing network of PS3 systems – to help study the causes of diseases such as Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, cystic fibrosis and many cancers.
Because the process of folding proteins is so complex, computers are used to perform simulations to study the process. Since these simulations can take up to 30 years for a single computer to complete, [email protected] enables this task to be shared among thousands of computers connected via the network, utilizing distributed computing technology. Once the data is processed, the information is sent back via the Internet to the central computer.
The Cell/B.E. processor inside each PS3 is roughly 10 times faster than a standard mainstream chip inside a personal computer (PC), so researchers are able to perform the simulations much faster, speeding up the research process.
“Millions of users have experienced the power of PS3 entertainment. Now they can utilize that exceptional computing power to help fight diseases,” said Masayuki Chatani, Corporate Executive and CTO Computer, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. “In order to study protein folding, researchers need more than just one super computer, but the massive processing power of thousands of networked computers. Previously, PCs have been the only option for scientists, but now, they have a new, more powerful tool—PS3.”
“We’re thrilled to have SCE be part of the [email protected] project,” said Vijay Pande, Associate Professor of Chemistry at Stanford University and [email protected] project lead. “With PS3 now part of our network, we will be able to address questions previously considered impossible to tackle computationally, with the goal of finding cures to some of the world’s most life-threatening diseases.”
With the latest system software update expected to become available at the end of March, the [email protected] icon will be added to the Network menu of the XMB™ (XrossMediaBar). PS3 users can join the program by simply clicking on the [email protected] icon or can optionally set the application to run automatically whenever PS3 is idle (*1).
Starting with [email protected], SCE will continue to support distributed computing projects in a wide variety of academic fields such as medical and social sciences and environmental studies throughout the use of PS3 and hopes to contribute to the advancement of science.

(*1) To run the application automatically in idle state, PS3 must be connected to the network with both the main power switch and power button turned on. Option setting must also be changed as this automatic feature is off at default.

About Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc.
Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. continues to redefine the entertainment lifestyle with its PlayStation® and PS one® game console, the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, the PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system, and the ground-breaking PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) computer entertainment system.
Recognized as the undisputed industry leader, Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. markets the PlayStation family of products and develops, publishes, markets, and distributes software for the PS one game console, the PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system, the PSP system and the PS3 system for the North American market. Based in Foster City, Calif. Sony Computer Entertainment America, Inc. serves as headquarters for all North American operations and is a wholly owned subsidiary of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 2007-03-25, 12:27 AM

Could we hit 1,000 trillion flops?

1 QFLOP!!!!

Telus Optik and Shaw Gateway.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 2007-03-30, 06:25 PM

does the Folding @ Home work when playing games or just works when you are surfing the web?

When you fall in a bottomless pit you die of starvation!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 2007-03-30, 07:10 PM

I don't think it does any background computations....I think it's only active while you have the app onscreen.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 2007-03-31, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Yeah, you either run it, or something else, but not both.

Gord
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 2007-03-31, 08:37 PM

I did an experiment today, and you can't even background download and run Folding at the same time. Ridonkulous! They are both background type apps and they can't play together!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 2007-04-01, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Yeah, I tried that as well. I was told it's because [email protected] uses the network (though not very often) so the downloads won't work. Hopefully Sony will tweak the downloading functionality further to allow both things to function at the same time.

Gord
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 2007-04-01, 07:32 PM

I let @home run for a few days and my PS3 was fine .. it doesn't seem to stress the system that much, as it wasn't running hot. I did notice it killed my wireless controllers though, as the controllers seem to be active during the program.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 2007-04-02, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Lando, I realized it drains the controllers as well, so I started getting into the habit of turning off the controller when [email protected] was running.

I had [email protected] running on my machine almost non-stop for 10 days (stopped to play some games), and when I went to watch a BR movie it wouldn't work. It would try to play the disc, then stop, then play it again, then stop (it was a black screen and the "play" button would show up, then go away repeatedly). I turned the machine off overnight and the BR movie worked the next day. I'm sure this had something to do with the machine being on for 10 days straight.

Gord

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in