XBox 360 Elite (new version for 2007) - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 147 (permalink) Old 2007-03-28, 06:25 AM

Are you glad the Elite 360 won't have HD-DVD built in?

Most people know the Elite will be released with HDMI etc. I read yesterday's article at gamespot.com. (gamespot article on the Elite 360) The most interesting comment I found in there says this: "We don't want to segment the user base,", but I read that comment as, we don't want to piss off our existing users more than we have to. The director of Microsoft's global platform marketing said the quote as the reason the Elite would not have a built in HD-DVD drive. I think it would help the HD-DVD camp if it was included, but I guess Microsoft does not want to get into the format war by pissing off 10,000,000 existing users. I would definitely be one of many angry 360 owners if they had done it, but if I was a new owner I'd be happy. I'm already a bit concerned that the Elite will be a less hot operating, more reliable and more efficient unit. It's basically an admission of failure for their first hardware design. They better offer Elites for dead 360's in the future. I would even pay a extra few bucks to get one as a replacement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 147 (permalink) Old 2007-03-28, 09:49 AM

Count me in the don't care camp.

MS has a price point that they feel they need to hit with the original/Elite 360 and an HD-DVD drive probably pushes them past that point.

I don't think the first design was a failure at all. Sure they had manufacturing issues but with any bleeding edge design you need to push the boundaries. MS brass made a call that it was more important to hit the street before Xmas 2005 than to wait and given the sales numbers I think they made the right call.
post #78 of 147 (permalink) Old 2007-03-28, 09:55 AM
Digital Sage

It make great sense the first time around not to have the HD DVD drive built in. They would have lost the year headstart if they would have waited.

I also think it makes sense to have a version with the HD DVD built-in as long as its not the only version for sale.

You don't want a high price to scare away gamers.

post #79 of 147 (permalink) Old 2007-03-28, 10:10 AM
Veteran

Microsoft should have a version with an HD DVD drive built in to better compete with the PS3. Clearly the PS3 has helped sales of Blu-ray disks, so it would make a difference.

-Mike

Sony XBR65X930D | Denon AVR-X1300W | BELL Fibe | Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K | XBOX One X
post #80 of 147 (permalink) Old 2007-03-28, 10:15 AM
Digital Sage

True but Sony owns movie studios and MS doesn't. Priorities are different.
post #81 of 147 (permalink) Old 2007-03-28, 10:20 AM

I buy my consoles for gaming. Hi Def movies are second or third priority. The way the 360 integrates with my Vista media center setup was a huge selling point for me. I like the choice i have with the 360 to purchase the HD-DVD add on. At this point I do not feel the next generation format is being forced on me.
post #82 of 147 (permalink) Old 2007-03-28, 10:29 AM

Microsoft is right in not adding HD-DVD...

I just need the new hard drive... I'm runnin' out of space! The new Oblivion expansion pack is 1 gig - these type of downloads as well as the TV shows and movies made the Elite a good decision.
post #83 of 147 (permalink) Old 2007-03-28, 11:20 AM

i think the price point is too high. i can see how it makes sense for them now as the ps3 has no good games, but that wont last forever. i have a 360 and am completely anti-sony but all games created equal, i would pick a 599 20gb ps3 over a 579 or 599 (cdn pricing) xbox 360 elite. the ps3 hardware wise is giving you more value for that price. (remember, assuming that games are equal)

im a little disappointed in that i figured that MS would intro the elite at 499, and drop the 20gb model to 399 and just get rid of the core system. it may well be what they end up doing in time (once the ps3 gets some games) but as of now i dont think the elite is really a good value.

just my $.02

*edit* Forgot to add that i think if they included the hddvd drive for the 579 or 599 price (cdn) it would be a good value package

Last edited by quentin0; 2007-03-28 at 11:50 AM.
post #84 of 147 (permalink) Old 2007-03-28, 11:51 AM

its out - www.xbox.com

Who wants to buy a slightly used xbox??

I'm listing mine online tonight!
post #85 of 147 (permalink) Old 2007-03-28, 01:14 PM

I own an original 360 and I'm not at all "pissed off" about the Elite. Why should I be? Virtually every other type of electronics or computer gear get updated all of the time with new features, capabilities, etc. so why should game consoles be expected to stand still for 5 years without changing a thing? As long as all new games work on all versions of the console then it shouldn't be a big deal. And that's what I think Microsoft was referring to with their comment about "segmenting the user base". They didn't want game developers releasing HD DVD versions of games with enhanced features and content that would only work on the Elite since that likely would have pissed off a lot of the user base. They could have crippled the drive to only be able to play HD DVD movies and not allow HD DVD versions of games but then you get back to forcing a lot of users to buy something they really don't want. Having a version of the Elite with an internal HD DVD drive that only plays movies wouldn't be a bad idea though. That way people who actually do want the HD DVD capability can buy it.

Regarding the price, I think they pretty much had to price it the way they did in the short term. Had they priced it comparable to the premium and then dropped the price of the premium immediately then that too would have pissed off a lot of users. I bought my system a year ago so it wouldn't bother me but if I had only bought it a month ago I may not feel the same way. I suspect we will see price drops but they're going to wait a few months so they don't piss off the recent buyers.
post #86 of 147 (permalink) Old 2007-03-28, 01:51 PM

Right now sony can not even compete with microsoft.In time that will change but as of now thats how it is.
post #87 of 147 (permalink) Old 2007-03-28, 01:56 PM

I didnt see anything on xbox.com

sorry, i change canada to united states and its working !

Is a Wifi card in the elite ? I cant see ... If not thats sux for sure....
post #88 of 147 (permalink) Old 2007-03-28, 02:06 PM

I dont think it is - comes with a boat load of cables (looks like HDMI cable is included), rechargale battery pack, plug and play and a black controller.

Awesome, I cant wait!
post #89 of 147 (permalink) Old 2007-03-28, 02:19 PM

The Wifi is not included. With new standards not finalized for 802.11n I think its a smart move to not include it.
post #90 of 147 (permalink) Old 2007-03-28, 02:20 PM

the system does look exciting untill you realize there is no HD dvd drive in the system. maybe it's cause they know HD DVD isn't winning the battle? or maybe they just like people buying the add on that won't match this new systems look.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in