Xbox 360 Defective and Replacement Process... - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 544 (permalink) Old 2006-12-12, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redskull View Post
How much does the extended warranty from Microsoft Canada cost? Also, how long after purchase can you get it?
Its $27 for 1 year and around $58 for 2 years approx.

You must purchase it within 90 days of console purchase.

Last edited by markl; 2006-12-12 at 01:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 544 (permalink) Old 2006-12-12, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markl View Post
Its $27 for 1 year and around $58 for 2 years approx.

You must purchase it within 90 days of console purchase.
Wow, thats alot cheaper then Future Shops Extended Warranty. How does someone get the Microsoft Warranty? Is there a number to call or website?
post #18 of 544 (permalink) Old 2006-12-12, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redskull View Post
Wow, thats alot cheaper then Future Shops Extended Warranty. How does someone get the Microsoft Warranty? Is there a number to call or website?
Just call the MS support line 1-800-4MYXBOX.

be prepared to be hasled if the computer system lists your purchase date different from reality. It took me 4 calls and 2 faxes over a 2 week period to actual get to a poitn where they would sell me the warranty. Also keep in mind that you may have to pay returnig shipping for repairs.

If I had it to do over I would have purchased the 360 at Costco or got the EB warranty so I could just take it back for exchange.

post #19 of 544 (permalink) Old 2006-12-12, 09:43 PM

Given my experience with the MS Extended Warranty ... I would absolutely recommend going with the retailer instead. I didn't pay a dime, but, as detailed above, the service was so poor that any competing product has to be superior.
post #20 of 544 (permalink) Old 2006-12-13, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Freind of mine had his die last night. He's off to Costco to try and exchange it today.

But there is no defect with the 360s, just two consoles purchased at totally different times from totally different stores happen to die within a week of each other
post #21 of 544 (permalink) Old 2006-12-13, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Just called back today and they still cannot tell me if a return boxes has been sent yet or when and if it will be as their system has not been updated with a tracking number.
post #22 of 544 (permalink) Old 2006-12-13, 03:00 PM

I have an Oct 05 XBox 360 that my brother bought me for xmas last year (to return the favor I got him a PS3 - whole other story ). I've been a pretty regular user of it.

Recently (after 1080p upgrade from XBox Live - widely as reported), it started experiencing startup issues. At first it would happen occasionally (power up - nothing happings, or you get 3 red lights on ring of lights), then it started happening more frequently, and finally it stopped working completely 2 Sundays ago.

At that point, I called XBox support and explained the problem (none of the issues reported in some of the other posts in terms of being difficult to deal with). They said they would replace it at no cost (I keep the HDD, controllers etc) and they'll ship me the box. They did say that it would take a minimum of 4 business days. It is now 8 business days later and I haven't received it yet so I will be calling to follow-up

I am a bit concerned about turnaround time given what I've read here... so hopefully I'll get the new unit back before the holidays... It sucks cause I just got XBox Live a few weeks ago and I just received (from GetGames.ca) FEAR and Gears of War so I really haven't been able to enjoy them yet

I will post an update on how things progress...

BTW I read in OXM that Microsoft has officially admitted that there is an unusally high number of defects and as a result they are replacing units made in 05 at no cost and reimbursing customers who have already paid for repair... so anyone who paid to get their 05 unit repaired or replaced should look into getting reimbursed

LC60E77UN, 8300HD+HDD, TX-SR876, TSS1200, PS3, Xbox360, DVP642, H880
LC46D62U, 8300HD+HDD, HT-TQ85, Wii, HOne
post #23 of 544 (permalink) Old 2006-12-13, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by macemuscle View Post
I have an Oct 05 XBox 360 that my brother bought me for xmas last year (to return the favor I got him a PS3 - whole other story ). I've been a pretty regular user of it.

Recently (after 1080p upgrade from XBox Live - widely as reported), it started experiencing startup issues. At first it would happen occasionally (power up - nothing happings, or you get 3 red lights on ring of lights), then it started happening more frequently, and finally it stopped working completely 2 Sundays ago.

At that point, I called XBox support and explained the problem (none of the issues reported in some of the other posts in terms of being difficult to deal with). They said they would replace it at no cost (I keep the HDD, controllers etc) and they'll ship me the box. They did say that it would take a minimum of 4 business days. It is now 8 business days later and I haven't received it yet so I will be calling to follow-up

I am a bit concerned about turnaround time given what I've read here... so hopefully I'll get the new unit back before the holidays... It sucks cause I just got XBox Live a few weeks ago and I just received (from GetGames.ca) FEAR and Gears of War so I really haven't been able to enjoy them yet

BTW I read in OXM that Microsoft has officially admitted that there is an unusally high number of defects and as a result they are replacing units made in 05 at no cost and reimbursing customers who have already paid for repair... so anyone who paid to get their 05 unit repaired or replaced should look into getting reimbursed
Your getting no hassle as it is a 2005 unit, which they admitted had issues and they extended the warranty to 1 year. On newer units like I have it is still only 90 days.

As for getting it before the holidays, good luck with that. I don't think it is going to happen. From my calls to date they have no clue if the return boxes are even shipping out. Every time I call I get a different story.
post #24 of 544 (permalink) Old 2006-12-13, 03:33 PM
Rhy

I am on my 3rd 360 also, but i bought from costco, just take the broken one in and pick up a new one. too many problems with these machines imho.

same day exchange *)

Powerlite Home 10+ / 120 inch DIY Screen
Technics Reciever / B&W DM 602 s3 / B&W LCR 600 s3 / Polk fx3i / Velo Hgs-12 / LGE 531 DvD
post #25 of 544 (permalink) Old 2006-12-13, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhy View Post
I am on my 3rd 360 also, but i bought from costco, just take the broken one in and pick up a new one. too many problems with these machines imho.

same day exchange *)
No hassles then at Costco? Do you need to take everything back for exchange or just the console? Just curious what they would want since most are bundled with extras.
post #26 of 544 (permalink) Old 2006-12-14, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Well made my daily call to custoemr support to see where my return shipping box is. Still no tracking number or indication it shipped or not but the guy "assures" me that I will have it today or Friday as that is within the 3-5 business day window from last Friday.

When I asked what if I don't get it all he said was "I'm sure you will get it" but he has no clue since the srvice department hasn't updated anything since the order was placed originally.
post #27 of 544 (permalink) Old 2006-12-14, 10:58 AM

Quote:

I called last nite to follow-up and they said that their system was being updated when I called the first time so order to send the shipping box did not go through and the box was never dispatched! They had to close the ticket and open another one. Now I have to wait another 4 business days to see if I will get the box or not!! They did mention that I can call back in 1-2 business days to get a tracking number which I will definitely do... They also mentioned that I can just ship it (at my own cost) and not wait for the box (which is something I would consider if they mess it up again)... Finally, they also mentioned that MS is no longer sending the shipping boxes (i.e., free shipping of the old unit), but they are making an exception for me because I initially called before they made this change (I think one of the posts mentioned that MS starting doing this in Dec)... more to follow!

post #28 of 544 (permalink) Old 2006-12-14, 03:53 PM

Just called them today... no tracking number yet... they said it takes at least a day so call back tomorrow...

post #29 of 544 (permalink) Old 2006-12-14, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Just called them today... no tracking number yet... they said it takes at least a day so call back tomorrow...
My order was placed Friday, its now Thursday and no tracking number. I've been told the "takes a day or so" story now for 4 days, so take that for what it is worth. They have no clue and will make up whatever it takes to get you off the line and not question them too much.
post #30 of 544 (permalink) Old 2006-12-14, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markl View Post
My order was placed Friday, its now Thursday and no tracking number. I've been told the "takes a day or so" story now for 4 days, so take that for what it is worth. They have no clue and will make up whatever it takes to get you off the line and not question them too much.
Yeah I must admit that I didn't get a warm and fuzy fealing when I spoke to them...

If I don't get the tracking number tomorrow, I'm just going to ship it myself (I don't have time to do that today anyways), and hope that they'll send the replacement sometime next week before the start of the holidays!

Tags
lemon , pos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in