Wii Owner Reports/Reviews - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 164 (permalink) Old 2006-11-30, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
lol...........thats why is she is waiting.

just to add a little more about tennis. You NEED a lot of room. We were playing in a fairly big room and still bumped and hit each others hands a few times.

The one thing I couldn't figure out is how to play 2 player with only one Mii on each side. It always wanted 2 Mii's.
Just use the second remote to click on one of your partner and it'll change to player 2. It's way more fun doing 2 on CPU.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 164 (permalink) Old 2006-11-30, 02:47 PM
Q
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fathorse View Post
Just use the second remote to click on one of your partner and it'll change to player 2. It's way more fun doing 2 on CPU.
and you can have one mii (me) playing against the other mii (wife) on the field with no one else?
post #78 of 164 (permalink) Old 2006-11-30, 03:06 PM

I've been reading about the Wii and its rather novel control scheme but I'm wondering. Can this setup be used by someone who is left handed effectively?

I physically can't use my right hand for anything resembling fine motor skills, meaning that playing on the PS2 requires some imaginative controller holding (buying the smaller 'micro sized' controller helped a bit as well) and not buying games that I know require full two handed operation. So the Wii and its controller setup looks like a great equalizer....

Any comments?

NefCanuck

post #79 of 164 (permalink) Old 2006-11-30, 03:11 PM
Q
Veteran

there are 2 remotes. and I can only comment on Wii sports.

Bowling doesn't matter.
tennis doesn't matter.
golf doesn't matter.
baseball doesn't matter.
boxing needs both controllers to be used however you could box with just your left hand.

So the controller is right or left handed.
post #80 of 164 (permalink) Old 2006-11-30, 03:16 PM

You can set your preference for each sport in Wii sports, and hold the controller however you like for any game that doesn't let you specify. The beauty of the 2-part controller (remote + nunchuk) is that they're interchangeable.
post #81 of 164 (permalink) Old 2006-11-30, 03:27 PM
Q
Veteran

oh ya. you set your preference. for boxing you set your stance.
post #82 of 164 (permalink) Old 2006-11-30, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital island View Post
red light = standby
orange light = standby, with wiconnect 24 enabled

There isnt really an "off", aside from unpluggin the unit.
For all intents and purposes, the orange or red light mean off

(btw - this is all in the manual)

so if not being used for a while is there a way to disable wiiconnet24 so you get a red light without unplugging?

reason i ask is I find this little unit can get quite hot

Last edited by James; 2006-11-30 at 04:22 PM.
post #83 of 164 (permalink) Old 2006-11-30, 05:01 PM

It's not really any hotter than a modem or router gets, when you think about it. We don't turn those off.
post #84 of 164 (permalink) Old 2006-11-30, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywalk View Post
It's not really any hotter than a modem or router gets, when you think about it. We don't turn those off.
tx - i just assumed it was cooler with red light only , so I wanted to make sure that having wiiconnect24 on all the time was not a problem
post #85 of 164 (permalink) Old 2006-11-30, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NefCanuck View Post
I've been reading about the Wii and its rather novel control scheme but I'm wondering. Can this setup be used by someone who is left handed effectively?

Any comments?

NefCanuck
With the way the Wii controls are, it really doesn't matter what hand you are better with anymore. If you are more comfortable using your left then use the wiimote in your left and nunchuk in your right. I'm right handed but for some reason I bat and box better left handed and the wiimote allows me to use this to my advantage.
post #86 of 164 (permalink) Old 2006-11-30, 09:13 PM

Setting your preference in Wii Sports for which hand you are, is because the game is also tilt sensitive, so playing say, the baseball game with your left hand when its on right hand setting, it's going to be sensing the bat and swing at a right handed angle which is going to be throwing you off a lot and lead to a lot of foul balls. The tennis is a similar idea. The other games I don't think that plays into effect much. I believe most games will have options to set if you're right or left handed. Zelda doesn't have this option but that game uses more of the swinging motions than tilting so you can hold it with you're left hand no problem. For this the Wii remote is ambidextrouous and the more versatile of all the systems. Just think of it as changing you're mouse and keyboard around on the computer for a lefty.

As for Wiiconnect24, keeping that on 24 hours a day will not damage the unit whatsoever. Like an above poster pointed out, routers and modems are left on all the time. In fact, in most cases technology is better suited to be always on. It's the stopping and starting that leads to defective material most of the time. Look at cars. And you're wii isn't getting as hot as you think. Of all the 3 consoles the Wii uses the lowest amount of electricity and should be generating the least of heat between the three. The standby power consumption IS a bit higher than the other 2 but that's because its the only one still doing something while it's in standby. But don't worry, nintendo makes excellent products and you're Wii should last you 10-20 years if the NES is any indication. Unless it was dead on the first few days it will work fine most likely. Very simple parts in there compared to the 4x processors of the 360 or the cell processor of the PS3. Not to mention the hard drives.
post #87 of 164 (permalink) Old 2006-12-01, 11:14 AM
Q
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywalk View Post
I picked up the Wii which was off all day but had a message waiting and was blue and it was very hot on the bottom. I had it lying horizontal on carpet. There were no vent holes on the bottom so I am not sure if the carpet made it worse or not. I have now moved it on a hard surface and will see what happens.

Joe
post #88 of 164 (permalink) Old 2006-12-01, 04:57 PM

Hmm. While the Wii may not have ventilation holes on the bottom, I still believe any piece of electronics on a carpet like that is bad for the piece of equipment. Cloth insulates heat, so while even though theres no ventilation on the bottom, there's still heat coming off it which is being absorbed and bounced back by the carpet. That's just my theory though.
post #89 of 164 (permalink) Old 2006-12-01, 07:33 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Also carpeting and rugs retain a static electrical charge for long periods of time. Putting electronic equipment directly onto a carpet is not a good plan, but on the other hand Nintendo had to have planned on lots of people putting them on carpeted floors.

post #90 of 164 (permalink) Old 2006-12-02, 10:43 PM
Q
Veteran

on a hard surface it is still pretty warm. It is not as hot as before but still pretty warm. Is everyone;s else's like this? I have never heard the fan on this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in