Official "Gears of War" Discussion - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 119 (permalink) Old 2006-11-09, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed*Wheaton View Post
If anyone has played both Gears and Call of Duty 3 ,I'd sure like to hear they're take on them.I love the COD games,the only thing I didn't like about Gears is a review that I saw where it said it wasn't a very long game.

Ed
It's a fantastic game, don't hesitate for a second at picking it up.

If I had any complaints, they'd be similar to the complaints I had about GRAW.

Close quarters combat feels cumbersome. The lack of aiming reticule, and the imprecision of the chainsaw make getting out of close quarters situations seem awkward.

The cover system. Awesome, wicked, except after playing the Rainbow Six demo, I loved the hold the trigger down cover system that RS6 had, it felt more precise.

Other than that, WOW.

Of course, half way through my first online match, my 360 dies for the second time. But that's a whole other issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 119 (permalink) Old 2006-11-09, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Hey Ed,

Wow you are only about 15 minutes away from where I live...cool.

I purchased both games.

Check out this thread for some initial impressions of COD3:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=51408

GOW reportedly has between 5-8 hours of gameplay. I think it all comes down to your skill level. For me 5-8 hours is plently long enough.
post #33 of 119 (permalink) Old 2006-11-09, 08:58 AM

Wow.

This game is amazing. I played through the first two levels of single player, and was blown away.

But then, my buddies and I fired up the multiplayer. Absolutely incredible, and tons of fun. Numerous times, either because of the curb stomp, the chainsaw, or a round ending shotgun blast, the lobby was filled with uproarious laughter.

If anyone is on the fence about this game, get it. Run, don't walk, and get this game.

Man, my PS3 might just collect dust for awhile...

post #34 of 119 (permalink) Old 2006-11-09, 11:10 AM

I'd be curious to see how this stacks up to Resistance: Fall of Man on the PS3.

Darth can tell us, because he's so frickin' LUCKY!

I have to play some multiplayer sometime. Co-op over Live must be a blast.

Digitalhome league anyone?
post #35 of 119 (permalink) Old 2006-11-09, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

I am about to buy a gold account just so I can play Co-op. I have never played multiplayer on a console. Only tried once on a PC as well. I would be interested in forming a co-op multi if there is interest. I suck at this game so far...
post #36 of 119 (permalink) Old 2006-11-09, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolshark View Post
I am about to buy a gold account just so I can play Co-op. I have never played multiplayer on a console. Only tried once on a PC as well. I would be interested in forming a co-op multi if there is interest. I suck at this game so far...

Hey PoolShark.

If you hook yourself up with a Gold account I'm always up for playing some coop and introducing you to your new addiction... Xbox Live
post #37 of 119 (permalink) Old 2006-11-09, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Cool I would enjoy that. I have never played online really. So does muliplayer Co-Op mean that u and I could do the single player campaign together? Or is it a different map scenario?
post #38 of 119 (permalink) Old 2006-11-09, 02:11 PM

The co-op missions are the single player campaign.

It rules.
post #39 of 119 (permalink) Old 2006-11-09, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Cool....my xbox live ID is quicksilver1663.
post #40 of 119 (permalink) Old 2006-11-09, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolshark View Post
Cool....my xbox live ID is quicksilver1663.
I'll add you after work. As Darth said, the single player can be played in full coop mode.

I ran through Act 1 last night with a buddy and there were a lot of "WTF, did you just see that!!!!!" moments.

Coop is where it's at. I was never one for versus modes in any game, but finish a level with a partner, now that's fun...

I'm "bucketo" on Live if I happen to forget to add you. Actually, what am I saying, I can add you on xbox.com. doing that now...

Bucket
post #41 of 119 (permalink) Old 2006-11-09, 03:05 PM

I'll add you also Poolshark.My gamertag is Plumehaven.

Ed

Last edited by Ed*Wheaton; 2006-11-09 at 03:11 PM. Reason: add on.
post #42 of 119 (permalink) Old 2006-11-10, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

So if you play online co-op it tells me that it will over-write my offline single player campaign saved game. So I have made it through maybe 4 checkpoints playing on my own...I will lose those? Do I need to buy a memory card or something to keep my single player progress separate from online co-op?
post #43 of 119 (permalink) Old 2006-11-10, 08:50 AM

I was confused with that also poolshark. The way it all works is, the game is set in 5 "Act's". Each "act" has about 4 or 5 sometimes 6 "chapters". The checkpoints are the system that exists within those "chapters". And usually theres a checkpoint after every major battle.

So when you go online, you lose you're saved checkpoint. But when you go to play single player again, just choose to select from the list of acts, go into the most recent one you played and the most recent chapter you have unlocked. The most you lose in the process is about 5-10 minutes of work.

It would have been nice if they just gave us normal save files but oh well. Amazing game none-the-less.

I've played through it once on Casual, then Co-op online Casual, now I'm on Act 4 of Hardcore in co-op. Going to do Insane co-op afterwards.

By the way if anyone wants to do any co-op, I can't get enough of this game. my gamertag is just QuantumFluxx.
post #44 of 119 (permalink) Old 2006-11-10, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Cool I added you.

I wonder if using a memory card and saving your single player profile to it will alleviate that problem? i do not have a memory card but would consider grabbing one just for this game. I am still trying to get the grenades down on this game. They seem very important. Also I have no idea how to plug the holes that the locusts come out of...it tells me to do that in the act I am in right now...very early in the game. I got slaughtered playing online last night
post #45 of 119 (permalink) Old 2006-11-10, 09:14 AM

Haha I just missed ya then, had my xbox off for 20 minutes and you sent invite in that time.

You answered your own question there sorta. You plug the emergence holes by lobbing a grenade down there. Very important if you play on the harder difficulties.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in