New PC Gaming build - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Blintok
  • 1 Post By ExDilbert

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 2017-12-11, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

New PC Gaming build

picked up parts Dec 02. put together on Dec 03. Strictly for gaming. My old computer i use for everything else (i7-4790k. Asus Maximus Hero Vii)

This is build number 4 for me. (started with an Intel i5-750, i7-2600k the i7-4790k and now new one)

Usual went default with Asus but decided to try out MSI this time around. And since NCIX is gone i went to Memory Express.

Corsair Graphite 230T case
Hyper 212 EVO cpu cooler
Corsair RM650i power supply
MSI Z370 Gaming M5 motherboard
Intel i7 - 8700K cpu
Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz 16g ram
MSI Gaming Geforce GTX 1070ti 8gb gddr5 graphics card
Adata 512g SU800 SSD for windows 10
Windows 10 pro
Seagate Firecuda 1T

I originally went with a WD 2T blue and HyperX fury 16g 2400 ram. But went back next day to swap to a 2T WD black and the corsair 3200.

I now run the Firecuda tho as after i installed Win10 on the SSD i plugged in the WD Black and started to install some games. It died half way thru an install. Disappeared from drive management and bios.

I had considered another SSD but the Firecuda is pretty fast and i like it on the other computer as my Solus (linux) drive so i got another.

I have a gtx1070 in the 4790k computer. I have a gtx980ti as surplus. Decided to get a new 1070ti instead of originally moving the 1070 to new and 980 to old. The 1080/1080ti sure are nice but still too pricy and i only do 1080p gaming so should be fine for a while.

also thought about water cooling for cpu. But so far idle temps are 28-30c and in game runs around 35c. The only time it went up to 40-50c was when i was installing Steam. The install must hit all 6 cores.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 2017-12-12, 07:47 AM

Is that Adata ssd SATA or M2 and if it is M2 then is it NVME for max performance...your Mobo supports NVME.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 2017-12-12, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

the Adata 512 is just a regular Sata drive. One i had layin around so decided to use it in new computer. Probably a future upgrade to go M2 and maybe a GTX1080ti.

The i7-4790k computer has 3 drives. A 2T Firecuda(Solus). A 256g Adata SU800 sata (windows 10) and a 2T Barracuda (win10 data)

last few weeks i have got back to playing Star Wars The Old Republic. Signed up for 6months. Been awhile since i played so i started over. Enjoying it so far. Other games i liked were Fallout 4, Witcher3. Mostly like games that have a good story and less "twitch". If there is a difficulty setting that is "easy - just the story" i pick that.

Really enjoyed the PS4 games, The Last of Us, Uncharted series, Horizon Zero Dawn.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 2017-12-12, 12:57 PM
Veteran

For future reference, M2 has already been deprecated. NVMe is the current standard and it's significantly faster than either SATA3 or M2.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 2017-12-13, 09:46 AM

I guess there are many mobos out there that do SATA M2 judging by the number of "disks " advertised that are not NVME.
When I build my next pc I am planning on NVME disk(s). Whether it will be one or two depends on what mobo I get.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 2017-12-13, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

From what i have been reading about Sata SSD. M2 and NVMe for my use the sata ssd is good enough and the other "disks" do not help me much. (for a Game only PC)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 2017-12-19, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Decided to get a new monitor on Sunday. Been thinking about it for the last couple weeks. Checking all the models online and trying to decide what to get.
One of the new Asus gaming rigs or Samsung sure were nice but price was more than what i wanted to spend.

it had to be at least 27in and 1440. Perfect balance for my new rig and video card. A 4k monitor would be too much money and would over tax my video card.
Next was a choice between the LCD tech, TN? VA? IPS? I know the TN be good for fast twitch FPS games but color and black levels suffer. Also one thing it had to have
is HDMI and built in speakers. This is is because it would have to share duty with the Playstation Pro.

in the end i decided to get a BenQ PD3200Q monitor. (32inch) Really happy with it. It is a VA 4ms monitor at 2560x1440 and 60hz. Love the rich colors from it and in games so far
it is great. I see no trails or input lag. But i had been using my old 2010 Sony 40in HX800 as a monitor and for a bit a LG 5ms IPS 32in 1080p monitor. So the new BenQ is
a huge improvement. The text on the Sony was a bit fuzzy so is one reason i wanted a better monitor.

Lots of nice features on the monitor. Stand is height adjustable and has tilt and swivel. Black levels are excellent and as said colors are rich and vibrant. It has a lot of different settings
like 10bit color and sRGB and REC.709. Has built in USB 3.0 ports.
grubntech likes this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 2017-12-19, 11:21 AM
Veteran

I've always had good luck with BenQ monitors. I'm currently using a 27" BenQ monitor that is over 5 years old. It's used every day and is as good as the day I bought it. They have lots of choices in panels and decent prices as well.

The duds that didn't last have always been from the traditional name brands, especially Viewsonic. They must buy cheap generic monitors and just slap on their brand name and a big markup.
grubntech likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-07-31, 06:20 PM
Rookie

Agreed BenQ does well for longevity. My oldest LCD monitor still my first ever Samsung 2253BW 2ms 8000:1 model

But I have had failures with HP and Dell before, but old BenQs' are still kicking with no dead pixels or issues.

Personally, I just splurged on the 27" XL2730 1440p 144hz. It's the limit for my evga 1070ti but it can handle it, and looks wonderful. I don't keep the 144hz on unless I am playing fast paced games.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-07-08, 04:07 PM
Veteran

I've had the same experience with BenQ. I have yet to see a BenQ monitor fail or even significantly deteriorate but have seen monitors from major brands fail or become unwatchable, some even under warranty. Some were junk out of the box compared to similar BenQ monitors.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in