ps3 fat installation question - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 2016-09-20, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Question ps3 fat installation question

Just bought a ps3 fat for $50. No controllers (already got 'em) no cables (got 'em too) and so far so good. Got 'er
set up and logged in. Oh and apparently if you wanted to backup one ps3 to another one you'd do it over ethernet
(not flash driver) as far as I know. Just plugging in the old hard drive to a usb adapter and then into the new ps3 fat
doesn't worik...darnit...

anyways, on to my question. I know the ps3 fat's have a problem with getting too hot, unleaded solder plus a design flaw (not enough airflow through the console itself) leads to that happening which would be a shame if that happened again. I'd like to put this in a media stand of some kind. There is enough rough space around it for basic airflow, but I'd like to increase the amount of airflow through that area to prevent over heating. To that end, I have bought 2 ac infinity cabinet fans which can be daisy-chained to each other, and which I hope to install at the back of said media stand where the ps3 fat will eventually live. Does this idea have merit? Can it work fine? I will be installing the fans beside each other at the back of the media stand. I can also reverse the fans themselves so that rather than pushing air forward, they can pull it towards the back and exhaust it, so in other words, which would better in this situation, that the fans...uhm....blow....or.....not....... I'm trying not to use the words I'd like to use for this post, but I also want to ask the question and get my idea across to you wise folks. If anyone's seen the movie "Spaceballs" with Mel Brooks and the Mega Maid scene, well, you get the idea......

thanks for any replies

ps, it's the one that also has wireless built in and the memory card reader as well, so I think I did pretty well, also, the person I was buying it from had priced it around $80 but for me, dropped the price $30, so I'm happy

John B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 2016-09-20, 02:44 PM
Veteran

I have an original launch PS3 and other than a HDD upgrade for space reasons I've never had any overheating problems or used any add on fans.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 2016-09-22, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the reply, Blackloz. I've cut a hole in the back of my tv/console stand ( don't worry, it's just fiberboard) big enough for me to put two cabinet fans in, which are set so that they move air out the back of that area. I've also made sure to widen the hole on one side so I can get those cables in okay, plus a little extra airflow, hopefuly, and I've got 'er up on 2 pieces of 2x4 so that that the bottom doesn't get too hot either. So far so good. I also figured out one of the reasons my old ps3 died...the person from whom I bought it used and refurbished didn't do a good job reattaching one of the main cooling fan wires to the plug underneath. He soldered it to something else and used the thinnest teeniest possible wire to get the repair done. I think he bypassed the wire that does the fan control, or the other one (I'm no expert when it comes to these kind of things, but I know when something doesn't look right)
so maybe I'm lucky it lasted as long as it did. And I figured out why I can't just plug the old hard drive into the new ps3--security and copyright reasons. I tried that and it asked me if I wanted to format it and wipe out the data that was on it, so that was a no-go.
Apparently you can backup your stuff to another working ps3, assuming yours has not just died, via Ethernet, or store your game saves on a usb stick, which I didn't do, because what are the odds that a phat ps3 might die on me...nahh, it couldn.....oh, it did, and I didn't backup my game saves before it died, so I've learned something, Anyways newer ps3 is working fine, nice n' quiet, but I'm going to give it a rest now and again, and backup my game saves once in a while....

again thanks for your help and your reply

John B

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in