Apparently the PS4.5 is a real thing - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 2016-03-29, 11:33 AM
Veteran

Yeah, I've seen a number of mentions of the $400 price tag, but accompanied with the commentary that Sony still had not decided on the price just yet, but they were considering the $400 price point.

Anyway, if they could sell the PS4 at $400 in 2013 using a 28nm process, I don't think it's unreasonable that at 2016 they could have a GPU that is 4x as powerful using a 14nm process @ $400 because in the PS5 because the GPU silicon would be exactly the same size as the 28nm PS4 chip version (because the physical size of the chip plays a significant role in the cost to manufacture).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 2016-05-26, 02:34 PM
Veteran

Apparently on the Microsoft side of the fence (they also source their processors/GPUs from AMD) there are multiple leaks saying that the upgraded Xbox will be released in 2017 and would be 4x the performance of their current machine. They're also releasing a "slim" version of the current generation hardware.

This is in-line with what I'd expect to see from improved AMD chips given the significant process shrink, and reinforces my points earlier about the next console's GPU performance will be a lot better than 2x that of the current generation console parts.
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 2016-05-27, 01:20 AM

Nintendo's next console is set to be released in 2017 too. There's potential for Sony and Microsoft to crush Nintendo in the console business if their next console doesn't become a hit. At least they're branching out, so in case they fail it won't be as hard of a crushing blow as it might be.

Just trying to remove that damn setup progress bar.

post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 2016-05-28, 04:34 PM

From what I hear the the PS4 "Neo" is predicted to be capable of 4 teraflops. And 4k capable for everything besides gaming.
It's also likely going to be a requirement for PSVR that doesn't suck, also a big part of the reason it is being released. At 4 teraflops it would be in GTX 970 range, the minimum requirement for PC VR

From MS I hear they are going to be releasing a Slim 4k capable(not gaming) xbox one for late this year. In Q2 2017,which is a big change for MS. They are going to release Xbox "Scorpio" capable of 6 teraflops. They are also expected to to announce a partnership with Oculous Rift. 6 teraflops puts you near a GTX 1070, which would also put 4k gaming in range. With top quality VR.

Nintendo's new console is also expected Spring 2017, but it's going to be different, and Android based.
It's said not to be a Wii U or 3DS replacement. Yet it's supposed to be a handheld and a console, that may use the "cloud" in the form of other consoles to help game rendering? All could be complete BS, but I think Nintendo is looking to really shake things up.

I'm sure we will have a lot of answers in the next couple weeks.

Sony 75" X940D, 7.1 Klipsch, Onkyo TX-NR656, Xbox One/360, Nvidia Shield Alienware Alpha, Arris Gateway, 42" Samsung
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 2016-06-21, 09:57 PM

Mostly right so far, will be interesting to see price point for the Neo and Scorpio. Surprised Nintendo remained silent

Sony 75" X940D, 7.1 Klipsch, Onkyo TX-NR656, Xbox One/360, Nvidia Shield Alienware Alpha, Arris Gateway, 42" Samsung

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in