PlayStation VR Will Arrive in October for $399 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 2016-03-15, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

PlayStation VR Will Arrive in October for $399

While the PSVR may not have quite the performance of it's main competitors it's also a fraction of the cost if you are one of the almost 40M people out there who own a PS4. If they have some have some solid launch titles I can see PSVR being a large success.

Really looking forward to 2017 and getting my own VR solution once the dust settles and we can see the pro's and con's of each. Personally I'm still gravitating towards the Vive but a lot can change in a year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 2016-03-15, 08:35 PM
Veteran

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 2016-03-15, 10:58 PM

Doesn't come with the required Playstation Camera though, which goes for $70 in Canada. Playstation Move controllers are also extra if you want them. If I already had a gaming PC, I'd probably be leaning more toward one of the PC ones. Since I don't, I'm hoping the PS VR is good enough.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 2016-03-15, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I have the move controllers but not the camera. I also have a gaming PC capable of running the Vive which I think will be the superior experience overall based on dem internets but will for sure wait until next year before making such a (potentially) expensive decision. Sony could win me over with software.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 2016-03-18, 09:38 AM

So tax in $830 for everything with 2 move controls, $1300 if you don't have a PS4, for 60fps min. VR, when 90fps has been stated as the minimum for a quality VR experience.

Looks like I'll be getting Vive or rift,

Still think it's another gimmick, but I need to play a racing game in VR just to see if they can pull it off.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 2016-03-22, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

PSVR opened up on Amazon for pre-order at 10AM, was sold out by 10:05.

Of coarse it's hard to say what it means unless we knew how many were available. That said, sold out in 5 minutes is impressive.

The amount of hype I see for VR is incredible. Really really hope it delivers and we don't doom VR to another 10 year hiatus to perfect it.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 2016-03-22, 11:54 AM
Veteran

The PS4 can certainly *do* high FPS VR, it's just that the game developers would need to dramatically lower your expectations of scene complexity from what you normally see on a PS4. According to John Carmack, think PS3-level graphics if it were to do VR at ~60fps.

I don't think we're going to see fantastic VR from consoles with this hardware generation. They have all the downsides of PC VR solution (i.e. your headset is connected via a cable) but would be way behind with the graphics performance of a PC. I can see the appeal of smartphone-based VR (like the Galaxy Gear), but I'd much sooner get a Rift or a Vive because from everything I've read, VR needs some pretty incredible graphics performance.

Myself, I'm going to wait until the different products have been released and have been reviewed. Plus, I think that the next-gen video cards from NVIDIA and AMD are going to be a big step up from what we have today, and any VR rig I put together will include one of those new cards with high bandwidth memory.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 2016-03-22, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

So far based on everything I read including the Reddit sub which is very active, the Vive seems to be head and shoulders above the other entries.

I am due a PC upgrade this year but will likely put it off until next year. Honestly, with the lack of competition for Intel there's been little reason for years to fully upgrade a PC. My i7 6700K is still a perfectly acceptable CPU. I just upgraded to a R9 290 last year and will likely buy a 2nd one next year as part of my new VR build.

I'm crazy excited about VR but I'm not one to throw money down just because of hype. Next year once the big 3 have had a year under their belts I'll make a decision.

On the PSVR vs the Rift and Vive. It's going to come down to the games for Sony. I mean, Nintendo never has competitive hardware but they have a reputation for making fun games. PSVR can be amazing as long as they nail the software.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 2016-03-22, 10:16 PM

I just want Skyrim to work with VR

that by itself would make me crazy happy
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 2016-03-23, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzpayne View Post
PSVR opened up on Amazon for pre-order at 10AM, was sold out by 10:05.

Of coarse it's hard to say what it means unless we knew how many were available. That said, sold out in 5 minutes is impressive.

The amount of hype I see for VR is incredible. Really really hope it delivers and we don't doom VR to another 10 year hiatus to perfect it.
Got to love consumers these days, quick spend hundreds of dollars on something we know nothing about.

Steam just auto load Dirt Rally VR to my account, I owned Dirt Rally already. Looks like they want me to buy VR.

I'm thinking Vive is the way to go for me at this point, but I'm waiting for reviews.

Sony 75" X940D, 7.1 Klipsch, Onkyo TX-NR656, Xbox One/360, Nvidia Shield Alienware Alpha, Arris Gateway, 42" Samsung

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in