New to PC Gaming - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 2016-02-20, 02:53 AM Thread Starter

New to PC Gaming

Thought I would give PC gaming a try, so I built a new starter rig this week to get my feet wet.
i7 6700k with a GTX 980 on a 34" 3440x1440 ultra wide

I'm usually an Xbox gamer. What would be a good game to take advantage of the PC gaming experience.
Something to contrast console that I'm used to.

Sony 75" X940D, 7.1 Klipsch, Onkyo TX-NR656, Xbox One/360, Nvidia Shield Alienware Alpha, Arris Gateway, 42" Samsung
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 2016-02-20, 06:32 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

Can you post the specs i.e. ram, drives, fans, etc. and some of the titles you intend to play?

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 2016-02-20, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

i7 6700k OC to 4.8ghz
Gigabyte GTX 980 4GB GDDR5, OC to 1367ghz, plan on more tweaking (already wishing I went 980ti but when I added the monitor and broke the $4000 mark I had to throttle back)
32gb 2133ghz Hyper X DDR4 ram, no tweaks yet.
240gb samsung SSD, plan on adding another.
2 1TB WD blue's in Raid 0
10 TB of network storage.
2 140mm case fans,
2 120mm fans for cpu water cooler,
34" HP Envy curved 3440x1440 21:9 Ultra wide

So far played Dirt showdown, and the latest Tomb raider,
I haven't got Fallout 4 for Xbox yet, part of the reason being I planned building this rig, I also played GTA V on 360, may pick up for PC too.
I mostly play racing games and FPS on console. Often with friends. Looking for more solo games for PC. As most my friends play Xbox
I think I'll have to get battlefront, just given how pretty it is.

Sony 75" X940D, 7.1 Klipsch, Onkyo TX-NR656, Xbox One/360, Nvidia Shield Alienware Alpha, Arris Gateway, 42" Samsung

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 2016-02-20, 10:21 AM
Veteran

Project CARS would be a good one. Also, while not racing or FPS, The Witcher 3 is great on PC.

Fallout 4 is pretty good as well once you install some mods that improve graphics (high-res texture packs).

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 2016-02-20, 03:39 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Very impressive! It will be neat to see what temps and framerates you are getting in full-on play. Which OS? Are you going to use joysticks/gamepads etc.?

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 2016-02-20, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

I'm running Windows 10,
As far as temps, they seem to hold around 50 on the CPU and high 60's on the GPU in game,
Idles below 30, GPU fans are completely off unless in game.
Fans run pretty minimal until 50. As soon as the case fans come on at all heat stops where it is, they haven't gone full speed yet, unless I commanded it. I haven't done an 8 hour shift yet so we'll see how it goes once the heat starts to saturate.
Noise wise my power supply seems to be the biggest contributor, might look into a silent one or go bigger so it's not under load so often.
GPU fans can be loud but in game with volume it's not super noticeable

On the games I've played if I'm ok with 30fps I can pretty much run ultra on most setting, high and very high for the most part I can hold 60 min.
haven't got the whole setting thing quite figured out yet, AA seems to have a large effect of frames The way Nvidia GeForce sets it up I'm usually 90-100+ frames with medium to high and some ultra setting depending.
From what I understand with a 60hz monitor that is a waste

I plan on streaming a lot of games to my big screen, if I drop resolution from native to 1920x1080 I was running Dirt Rally (thought it was Showdown but I'm playing that on Xbox) I was nearly at 200fps. so I cranked the setting to max and was still above 60fps

Obviously a lot more playing around to do.
Right now I just have a Corsair M65 mouse and an Xbox one controller, I bought a logitech gaming keyboard but the wife shot that down very quickly, said it was ugly. Returned that and looking into other options. Probably a headset, wife hasn't been exactly thrilled through out the process. Should have maybe mentioned to her I was getting a new computer, lol
My media room is in the basement and my computer room is beside the living room. So if I'm playing games in the computer room she can hear them.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 2016-02-20, 10:59 PM

Which computer case did you get? Are you using a custom heatsink?

Is the heatspreader attached to the chip again or have they done away with that forever except with the extreme editions of intel lineup?

Just trying to remove that damn setup progress bar.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 2016-02-20, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Case is a Fractal R5.

Heat sink is part of the water cooler, it's the same as previous designs, that cooler is universal to previous AMD and Intel processors.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 2016-02-21, 04:19 AM
Veteran

Heatspreaders are on all processors - even the Extreme Edition ones (though those ones tend to use a different Thermal Interface Material between the die & heatspreader).

Some people remove the heatspreaders for even better cooling performance, but there would be a high risk of damaging the die if you're not careful.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 2016-02-21, 04:29 PM

well, if you're a FPS guy, you can now finally play FPS properly, with a mouse and keyboard!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 2016-02-22, 03:17 PM
Veteran

Are you picking up an Oculus Rift or HTC Vive? Would be unfortunate if we don't have anything to argue about in the VR space.

If you plan on doing any serious overclocking it's generally recommended to stick with 2 ram modules. Reason being your memory overclock is only as good as your weakest module. That said, most folks won't push their system that hard. Surprised you just got the 256GB SSD. 512 is kinda the sweet spot right now. I picked mine up for $179 6 months ago. I had a 128GB first which just allowed me to have a couple games. 256 was more reasonable but still, found myself having to be careful what I had installed. Since upgrading to 512 I've had no issues with space. I happen to have a media server with 12TB and Plex running though so my SSD only needs to have games installed.

With the Vive and Rift launching this year that will likely be my next upgrade. My rig is 3 years old besides my video card (R9 290) and I passed the SteamVR test with a recommended "High Fidelity" setting. With AMD no longer providing any serious competition to Intel there's much less reason to upgrade anything besides the video card.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 2016-02-23, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

Do plan on getting VR, not sure which yet. Was part of the reason for the build.

Got the ram dirt cheap, was only going to get 16gb on 2 sticks. The price was right got 4, more for the look lol.

SSD was cheap too, I actually bought it for my laptop and had it kicking around. I was originally planning a 1tb SSD and running the HDD's in raid 1. Likely I'll go bigger on the SSD in the future. The HDD's in raid 0 are pretty fast. No real complaints about load times off them.

There will be more changes to come. Still not sure if I'm going to keep 2 desktops like I have now or move everything over to this one.
Time will tell. Pretty happy so far. At 1080p streaming to my alpha I can run all my games ultra. At 3440x1440 I only got to turn them down a bit.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 2016-02-26, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Picked up Cities Skylines, not the most demanding title. Not usually the type of game I play, but I like it.
Brings a different kind of challenge.
Been playing Tomb Raider quite a bit too, again not my usual style, not even a game I would buy.
Getting it free with my graphics card was a good deal.
No keyboard for Tomb Raider though. I tried, wasn't working out.
Might give it a go again, was having a super hard time moving with the mouse.
Aiming was easy but general movement direction was throwing m for a loop.
Might need more mouse speed or even less. Not sure. I think I'm just use to the sticks centering themselves.

I see a lot more PC gaming in my future. Already getting the gears from a few Xbox friends.
Would like to see some cross play in the future. Guess we will see how Quantum Break plays out.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 2017-12-09, 08:19 PM
Rookie

Very nice rig dude. Always loved the black and white setups.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in