The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Thoughts - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 2015-09-04, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Thoughts

So I finally finished my first play-through. Wanted to share in case anyone was on the fence of purchasing.

Positives:

Incredible amount of content
Incredibly large world
Story is fantastic
Quests stay interesting right to the end, even the side quests are often scripted and extremely well done.

Negatives:

Itemization of the world sucks
Combat difficulty starts high but once you get enough levels and gear it becomes trivial

My suggestions to anyone playing this coming from Skyrim or Fallout. It's not the same. It's open world but if you treat it like a Bethesda game you're likely going to be disappointed. In Fallout, you could pick a far off waypoint and just walk towards it and never make it because of the interesting things between you and it. The story was secondary really to the world building. With The Witcher 3, the world is really just there as a backdrop that serves the story. There are hundreds of POI's but they are all bandit camps, small hamlets needing to be freed, monster nests, all morsel sized bites of content. Takes 2 minutes to clear. Also, the best weapons in The Witcher 3 are from diagrams you can buy maps to find. In short, there's little reason to just randomly explore. I struggled with this concept for weeks. Finally I went with the flow and just started doing quests, tracking down bounties, following treasure maps, playing Gwent and honestly, at that point the game got really really fun. If you do those things, the game will take you to all corners of the map anyway. The closer to the end I got the more caught up in the story I became. There are multiple endings and what is considered a "best ending" which I didn't get. Will play again once they release the 2 expansion packs. With those expansion packs it's well over 100 hundred hours of content. I spent more than 100 without them. Will wait though, personally will likely want to play with a combat re-balance mod and maybe someone will do something about the itemization of chests and monsters. Give people a reason to head out into the wilderness. I'd really like to see:

1: Larger pieces of interesting content not tied to a quest with unique items as rewards. Bethesda has this one nailed.

2: A different class of items in the world, Diabloesque. in W3 the Witcher class of gear (the green stuff) is easily obtainable and king. Everything else becomes vendor fodder, even the Relics. This was a real thorn in my side. Love to see randomly seeded legendary class items or random loot be completely....random like Diablo with a point based stat system.

In the end though it's a bloody fantastic game and worth it for anyone to play. They recently announced they surpassed 6 million copies sold. Consider that no one heard of the The Witcher when it was released by a small games studio in Poland 8 years ago. The fact they just built one of the largest open world games ever (their first attempt at open world), almost bug free, to rave reviews and heading towards 10 million copies sold is nothing short of amazing. Can't wait to see what these guys do next.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 2015-09-04, 10:32 AM
Veteran

Good writeup!

The only reason I didn't get into it myself was the very small font on the Xbox One. While my vision isn't the best, I would have to sit even closer to the TV to read it as opposed to other games (such as Dragon Age inquisition).

If they allow a large font option like in The Witcher 2, I'll try it again
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 2015-09-04, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

I'm sure you could accomplish that with the PC version but yeah, limited with a console. Personally I used my PS4 controller on my PC version of the game. Worked splendidly. Only mod I used so far is unlimited weight because I'm a pack rat and I don't understand why developers need to conform to realism for that one aspect of games.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 2016-04-05, 08:16 PM
Veteran

Thanks for this write up. I just picked this up on Xbox One for 30 bucks. I haven't played an RPG in a while. I was a bit overwhelmed by all the operational mechanics but got over it after a while. I am on to the second town and am starting to really enjoy! One thing for newbies of this game, there are two cows near your stash in the town White Orchard. They are sacred don't kill them over and over or you will pay the price. There is a big monster that will spawn there that you cannot kill. Even if you are high level enough to kill it, it comes back.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 2016-04-05, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

There's a reason for that. People were killing the cows over and over and over for the gold, it was an exploit basically so the Dev's patched it in the most awesome way possible.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 2016-04-06, 08:10 AM

I just picked this up (download que) for my PS4. Looking forward to it when I get home.

I looked at the video on the Playstation website, but it just seemed like a bunch of cut scenes and no gameplay. We'll see I guess.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 2017-09-18, 02:09 AM
Rookie

Great review! I bought the game 3 days back for my son on his birthday. He's more into MMORPGs. As soon as I saw Bethesda, I had no second thoughts about getting it. I played a bit but then I stopped because it seemed to be too addicting.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 2017-09-18, 11:31 AM
Veteran

This game isn't made by Bethesda - its CD PROJEKT I believe
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 2017-09-19, 12:32 AM
Rookie

Good lord. I just got "rekt-in-the-face" like my son says.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in