Sony PlayStation 4 Discussion Thread (Launch Date: Holiday 2013) - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 272 (permalink) Old 2013-06-11, 12:25 PM
Veteran

I like the jabs they took at the Xbox One. No restrictions on lending/borrowing, selling, etc. No need to be connected all the time. And the massive crowd cheering that ensued.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 272 (permalink) Old 2013-06-11, 01:56 PM

post #33 of 272 (permalink) Old 2013-06-11, 03:10 PM
Veteran

I'm rather pleased with all the moves that Sony has made, especially the $399 launch price (and... I called it).

That said, I think the whole "used games" issue has a whole other side that nobody is mentioning.

1. You need to put your plastic game disc in the drive, or you can't play. You cannot load/unload your game software like you can apps in other devices, because your game disc is the DRM, and you physically need to swap the media.

2. CD/DVD/Blu-ray discs scratch, break, and can be mutilated by little children. They just aren't durable like N64-style cartridges, especially in the hands of little ones. I've lost a handful of game discs to some sort of mishaps, including a previous girlfriend who moved a Xbox 360 slightly while a game was playing in it. Boom, no more game.

I much prefer the Steam model. This could be part of the reason why I do most of my gaming on the PC.

As an aside, I see all these headlines about how the PS4 is "DRM free", and I wonder how clueless the headline authors were. Nothing that implements Blu-ray is DRM free. And I'm 100% certain that Blu-ray isn't the only DRM technology implemented in the PS4.

post #34 of 272 (permalink) Old 2013-06-11, 03:29 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by audacity View Post
2. CD/DVD/Blu-ray discs scratch, break, and can be mutilated by little children. They just aren't durable like N64-style cartridges, especially in the hands of little ones. I've lost a handful of game discs to some sort of mishaps
And I haven't lost one game since I bought my PS3 4yrs ago. My two sons were 4 and 1yr old then. Four years later, the discs still play. Anecdotal evidence maybe, but I have experience to say that it isn't that big of a problem.
post #35 of 272 (permalink) Old 2013-06-11, 03:44 PM
Veteran

I agree, yes it is possible to scratch discs but I've never had a PS1, 2 or 3 disc become unusable. I always put them away, they never get placed read side down on abrasive surfaces, my 6 yr old takes game discs out to put movies in and knows to never hold the disc by the read surface.
post #36 of 272 (permalink) Old 2013-06-11, 05:58 PM

DRM can be implemented by the publishers Sony said today. There is nothing stopping them from providing their own DRM model as Sony has stated.

Honestly for me it is about exclusives. Since I have lost interest in Gears of War and never played Halo I am undecided on the next gen system I will choose. I enjoy my 360 right now for the little gaming time I do get nowadays with 2 kids so i will probably stick with that for the next year or so.

There is so much talk on the webs about how Sony killed MS this E3....and they are pointing out its price and the DRM issue. For me its about the games that were shown at E3 and in my eyes MS won that battle.

I rarely buy used games, never rent and always buy so for me the DRM thing I could care less about. Kinect always on? Who cares. Its about games and will always be about games for me.
post #37 of 272 (permalink) Old 2013-06-11, 06:07 PM
Veteran

The hard core gaming fraternity are haling the PS4 launch as more successful than the XBox because the PS4 is being aimed at gamers where as the XBox is being pushed as an all singing media box that can play games.
post #38 of 272 (permalink) Old 2013-06-11, 09:08 PM
Veteran

Tons of converts from the 360 to the PS4 over on a different forum. Gamers are not happy with M$. This generation should be interesting.

I'm still up in the air. The PS3 blew me away with its capabilities, to the point that I HAD to buy one. I'm not feeling that way about the PS4. Of course, once all my online buddies are on it, I'll probably cave.
post #39 of 272 (permalink) Old 2013-06-11, 09:11 PM
Veteran

I'm waiting for Microsoft's next shot. They must be second guessing some of their moves by now.
post #40 of 272 (permalink) Old 2013-06-11, 09:13 PM
Veteran

The PS3 was such a leap forward, to expect that again is wishful thinking but remember it also too developers ages to get the best for the PS3 and the same will happen with the PS4.

I'm really excited by the support Sony are giving to the indie developers
post #41 of 272 (permalink) Old 2013-06-12, 09:53 AM

@audacity

Quote:
1. You need to put your plastic game disc in the drive, or you can't play. You cannot load/unload your game software like you can apps in other devices, because your game disc is the DRM, and you physically need to swap the media.
That's actually part of the problem with the Xbox One. You have to install the game and tie it to your Xbox Live account at which point you no longer need the disc. To pass on the game to someone else you then need to uninstall it from your Xbox and detach it from your Live account. They call it "Games Licensing". Oh, and you can only give the game to someone who has been on your friend's list for 30 days and they can never pass it on to someone else. Aaand, they allow 3rd-party publishers to say you can never pass it on in the first place.
post #42 of 272 (permalink) Old 2013-06-12, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineBall View Post
@audacity

That's actually part of the problem with the Xbox One. Aaand, they allow 3rd-party publishers to say you can never pass it on in the first place.
Isn't Sony doing the same thing?
post #43 of 272 (permalink) Old 2013-06-12, 11:58 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineBall
That's actually part of the problem with the Xbox One. You have to install the game and tie it to your Xbox Live account at which point you no longer need the disc.
Lets be clear: this is a good thing. Physical media, and especially optical media, are relics of the past. Once you have a decent internet connection, it's much easier to have your games delivered digitally and "unlocked" the second the game is "released". This is how it works now on the PC (Steam, Blizzard, etc). So, while the console industry is trying to catch up to the PC on the hardware front, I want them to also catch up in the game delivery front.

The PS4 fails on that department because, as I understand it, Sony won't allow me to download a new game on the same day that it's released in stores.

The whole "lets get in the car and go pick up the data", should be a thing of the past, with DVD/Blu-ray being superseded by streaming video. Heck, it eventually will be a thing of the past - the question is how quickly this will happen.

Now, I don't want to come across as super negative on Sony. I think they did a great job on the PS4 - a much better job than what they did with the PS3. They made smart technical decisions, and they're keeping the price down as low as they can. I just can't understand why the internet suddenly has a love affair with the plastic disc.

Honestly, I think what both Sony and Microsoft should do would be to implement a game rental service where you can use a On2-style service for a monthly fee and play almost any game - or perhaps you get a 2 game tokens a month, like Audible. I'm thinking something like $15/month and you can play any game that isn't a "new release". And you have the choice to either download the game or play it using the same On2-style streaming techniques. That, IMHO, is a better future. Microsoft has said that they put the necessary tech into Xbox Live + Xbox One, and Sony is doing something like that for PS3 game compatibility. They just need to take the next logical step.
post #44 of 272 (permalink) Old 2013-06-12, 12:20 PM
Veteran

The delivery model of games to the PS4 is outdated today, and likely will be on launch day. Let's face it, Sony is the biggest stakeholder of Blu-ray so this move is probably in their best interest. It doesn't mean however that they can't change that mid cycle with the PS4.

On another note regarding the handling of media. I never understood the issues of discs being damaged as my kids were always kind to the little plastic discs over the years since they were little. I had a wake up call once I was re-married and was introduced to my new wife's kids. That was a whole other ball game. So many game discs, DVDs HD-DVDs and Blu-rays destroyed from miss-handling. I finally had enough and had to put all the discs I cared about behind lock and key. Needless to say for my house the more digital distribution the better.
post #45 of 272 (permalink) Old 2013-06-12, 12:27 PM
rlb

Many people are still on 6Mbps plans with low monthly caps.
Downloading a 10GB game is very slow.
On the PS3 you can currently download many new games on release day.

Personally, I have a 6Mbps plan but a high cap so I don't mind downloading something overnight. I also like not having to insert a disc to play a game. However, I have no problem buying a physical disc either.

Downloading a digital version should be cheaper than a retail store though. That bothers me. There is no packaging and there is no resale value with a digital version.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in