Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Black Ops II launch thread (11/13)

5K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  Inzane 
#1 ·
I thought I'd kick off this thread since it appears no one else had.

Here we are, a week to go. Is anyone else excited about the new game?

I'm relatively new to the CoD multiplayer experience, only just having started playing (any of them) this fall. This is going to be my first chance to experience the launch event of a new one. I've pre-ordered a hardened edition via BB online.

Now it's only a matter of when my copy will actually show up in the mail. On the day of? The next day after? I'm half tempted to book a day off, however that would be a bloody waste if my copy arrives late.

I've heard some snippets of things they've developed or changed for this latest version, however things I hope are really fixed (relative to MW3):
- matchmaking. Can they please come up with a better way to balance teams and players (by skill/performance)? I don't know how many times I got dumped into lobbies full of multi-prestige players, which of course meant I'd get waxed badly. Where the heck are all the other noobs like me?!?
- spawns. My god the spawning is bad on Mw3. No fun when you spawn right in the path of an enemy.
- I won't bother ranting on quickscoping here. I've already read somewhere that they're going to continue to allow it. :rolleyes:

Anyone else here pre-order, and which version did you opt for? Anyone go all in for the care package edition (w/ RC quad-rotor drone)?

See less See more
#3 ·
Black ops disappointed... Mw3 was cool but the multi player I got frustrated with.., budy and I went back to mw2 for multi player...... I honestly miss the days of when you could camp with a sniper rifle.. I'm not supper great at the game and the only time I have had great success is with the run and gun but it's tiring after a while...

Bring back the noob tube as well.... Really annoyed that a direct hit is not a kill....

I have been offline since December... Maybe it's time to do some thumb excersices and get them in shape for the fall season :)

Sent from my SGH-I747M

#5 ·
Lol I knew I was safe on a non gamer site saying that.... I always get a kick out of the anti camping arguments though....

Only Rambo runs around in the open like an online gamer in real life.

Sent from my SGH-I747M

#7 ·
Lol I knew I was safe on a non gamer site saying that.... I always get a kick out of the anti camping arguments though....

Only Rambo runs around in the open like an online gamer in real life.
Ah, I was just busting your chops. ;) I fully understand that setting up camp when sniping (hard-scope) is part of the trade.

It's the little <insert name calling worthy of a suspension> that sit in a dark corner of a room or coridor waiting for people to run by... They deserve to be grenade spammed. :D

#6 ·
MW2 was so big, so MW3 was something huge to look forward to. But it disappointed. Black Ops was a big step for Treyarch, so Black Ops 2 has expectations. But it needs to give people a reason to want to tune in. I've been off COD for months. I'll probably wait to read reviews before hopping in.

#8 ·
I no longer have a console although looking in acquiring one soon but this is something that turned me off Medal of Honor and Call of Duty games. I remember the days when Medal of Honor first came out on PC and you had clans in which every member of the clan had a purpose. Some had rifles, some had machine guns and others had sniper rifles and every camp was pretty much the same so you did have campers on both sides and no one ever complained. In a real war, you have snipers too and they are camped for hours upon hours.

Anyway, if I do get a console I'll probably look into getting a MoH or CoD game at some point but will more than likely only play the missions and will not play online. I haven't played these games for a while now so I have no clue what they are like anymore and if I get a console, I will read many reviews before buying one of these games.

What has me hitching to buy a new console is Assassins Creed III...

#9 ·
I fully admit that camping is a perfectly legitimate tactic. It's just annoying as hell to be up against that playing style, that's all.

While camping's legit, I don't think things like quick-scoping and spawn-trapping are. Spawn trapping would be the equivalent of constantly ambushing an enemy army's barracks or medical facility... how likely is that? And quick-scoping... when do you hear of snipers rushing the battlefield armed with only a sniper rifle in short-to-medium range combat?

#22 ·
I hear ya. I mean you don't want a full team of campers either. Using quick scopes and other aids admittedly suck. I remember when Medal of Honor first came out on pc, it didn't take long before there were mods out there for the Force Skin option that would make the opposition look like Ronald McDonald and became more or less, sitting ducks.

I actually just got a PS3 over the weekend and got AC III. I bought the NHL 2013 bundle but will be looking for other games eventually and Black Ops II will certainly be considered. I may get older discounted CoD or MoH games first in order to get re-acquainted with the game and by the time I'm ready for Black Ops II, it will more than likely be discounted by then.:D

#10 ·
I hate quick scoping, such a terrible part of the game, but rushing with the striker is a good way to take care of them on tight maps,

I'll be heading out at midnite to pick it up, I don't play Duty like I once did, I'd say I peaked with MW2, literally playing the games for 24 hours straight a couple times, and 12-18 hour shifts not uncommon at all, Black Ops was ok, MW3 got kind of boring, Kill confirmed was a good addition though,

I do miss the big open maps, hopefully they open things back up with Black ops 2

#11 ·
Maybe if I get my first kill before my first death - I will quit and retire with a respectable k/d ratio. More likely I will run around trying to learn the maps like I have a target on my back. I would really love to be able to reset stats after prestiging!

I will be a 8 am purchase (hopefully my small town shoppers/the source has it).

#14 ·
Best thing to do at first is circle outside the map, keep your back outside edge,
also I like to play domination a lot at first, gives you a reference point on maps to kind of build off of.

K/D will come, it takes hours of practice, I was a newbie when MW2 came out, had only been playing World at War a short amout of time,

My K/D's
WaW .85 360, 1.15 PS3
MW2 1.52 360, 1.60 PS3
BO 1.72 360
MW3 1.47 360

I quit buying for both systems after MW2,
Also not too worried about K/D any more, I sacrifice myself a lot now, playing capture the flag and domination,

#17 ·
I wouldn't say for sure. My wife pre-ordered Black Ops 1 from eb, and gave it to me for my birthday. I had the work the day it was released, I show up at 5:40pm, they were supposed to be open till 9pm, walk up to the door, they wouldn't let me in the store, said they were closing at 6pm since they were open at midnite that day, I said ok, well its not 6pm yet, they said they had people in the store and couldn't let me in.
I told him I pre ordered, they didn't care. told me to come back tomorrow.

Had already had problems with eb and their rude staff in the past, after that, I've never gone back.
I actually got laughed at when I went to get Forza 3, buddy asked if I pre-ordered, I said no, and he laughed, said there was no chance getting that day, I went to Rogers they had a special edition on the shelf and a dozen more copies. I could go on but eb is a retailer I will never shop at again.
Costco, Walmart, London drugs and many others always have stock when others are sold out
Sorry for getting off topic,

Loving black ops 2, just lighting it up, the laser sight is wicked for run and gun with a sub machine gun, just went 28 and 12 and I've played like 10 rounds maybe

#19 ·
Just finished a 7 hour shift, minus a couple breaks,
great game, really like it, guns seem really balanced,
the class setups are insane, you can do so much different stuff

loving a lot of the maps, not like mw3, where there are maps I can't stand playing, and only a couple I really want to play,

only complaints is quick scope seems to be in full effect,
and the game seems to be a tad glitchy, occasional freeze up, had to restart my 360 1 time,

other than that, highly recommended, nothing like MW3, and a huge improvement on the original black ops

#21 ·
I pretty much agree with Steve on his thoughts. Maps seem so different from MW3 and I think they are way more brighter. Makes it easier to pick out the other team. I am still getting a few "WTF" moments but far less than MW3.

The maps are big (at least the ones I played last night) and I must have gotten shot from behind a million times. Could be from my noobness with the map layout.

So far the game tries to force you to play as a team more than a single "run and gun" style. I agree on the many many options for loadouts and scorestreaks. I am still trying to wrap my head around all the different customizations. I am not used to scorestreaks instead of kills so it will take awhile for that to sink in. Overall really like the direction they took this franchise for MP.

#26 ·
Still waiting for my copy. Hopefully it shows up in today's mail.

I know MW2 and COD4 are hacked, but I've played both over the last couple months and so far managed to avoid any problems. I occasionally encountered a hacked lobby in COD4, which I just backed out of as soon as I knew. (It was usually something obvious like a speed lobby).
With MW2, the only thing I've noticed is maybe the odd cheater here or there, but hard to prove.

#27 ·
How is the campaign? Is it different from the typical "follow me, do this" no choice crap that has plagued this series from the beginning?

I've held off on this purchase as the series has gotten very stagnant over the last, oh, four games (shame on me for being suckered each and every time though) as it is the EXACT same formula each time out with only different venues for the campaign and maps for the multi-player.

I would love to be convinced otherwise as my buddies are complaining about me not having it but I have no reason to buy it if it is not significantly different (better?) than mw3.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.