Wall-E: Discussion of the Movie and Features on Blu-ray - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-11-18, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Wall-E: Discussion of the Movie and Features on Blu-ray

Well the family watched Wall-E tonight.

We watched the cartoon Presto then the movie then the cartoon Burn-E

Presto - Cute cartoon, Well animated but definitely not one of Pixar's best

Wall-E - hate to say it but I fell asleep for about ten minutes in the middle. Cute movie, certainly novel, picture quality was great but overall, I would consider this one of Pixar's weaker effort primarily because the story was weak.

Burn-E - Very good cartoon. Interesting use of the movie to create a concurrent cartoon.

Overall Wall-E was a disappointment for me. Had it not been a Pixar film, I likely would be less critical but IMO, Toy Story, Monsters Inc and The Incredibles still rank as the top 3 Pixar films for me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-11-19, 01:56 AM

We watched it last night. I had a very different opinion than Hugh. I found the story and the characters very compelling. And to me that's the hallmark of Pixar films. Recent animated offerings from other studios are finally starting to look as good as Pixar movies, but there's something about a Pixar film that just makes it so so much better. Granted, it was no Incredibles, but I'd rate it in the top, say, 50% of Pixar movies.

The kids got a kick out of BURN-E, but I was a little disappointed in it. I don't think it was as cute and funny as it could have been.

Overall though, this is one of the few movies so far this year I'd consider spending money on to own.

Sony KDL-52EX700, Toshiba HD-D3, Motorola DCT-6416, Popcorn Hour A-110, XBOX 360 w/HD-DVD
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-11-19, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Let me just add, I didn't hate this movie, I just felt it "less than compelling". My kids, aged 9 and 11 enjoyed it but my 11 year old felt it was a bit sad. My 9 year old said it was "pretty good".

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-11-19, 11:22 AM

I don't have the Blu-ray yet, but I saw it at the theater a couple of weeks ago and I agree with Hugh. Maybe I was expecting too much based on the glowing reviews, but I didn't love it. I definitely liked it and will watch it again on Blu-ray, but it didn't have the same spark that some of the other Pixar efforts did for me. The Incredibles, Ratatouille, and Toy Story 2 would have to be my top 3. I'd put Wall-E closer to the bottom, just above A Bug's Life. While the amount of personality they can get from robots is amazing, it just doesn't compare with the personalities of Buzz, Woody, the Incredible family, or Remy. It is a far more subtle film and while that's not a bad thing, it makes it less entertaining for me than the excitement and humor of previous Pixar efforts.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-11-19, 11:24 AM
Veteran

I was extremely pissed off, after wasting 1.5 hours trying to register for a Disney BD-Live account, to find out that Disney doesn't support BD Live in Canada (WHAT?!). I called their customer service line and was told "We decided to try it in North America first" - I told her last I checked Canada was part of North America, and then I was told "We're just rolling it out to test first, then we'll support it in the rest of the world," so I told her Canada has about the same population as California, and I doubt we would be too much of a burden on their system.

I called because I couldn't even get through the registration process on their site - I couldn't get to a place where they could reject me because I was Canadian. I'm going to give it another shot today and see if I can register using a US address (I think Disney's address should work fine), and then see if I can access the features on the disc.

Gord
P.S. Loved the movie - be sure to watch The Pixar Story documentary.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-11-19, 02:52 PM

DTS MA was inproperly labeled on my rental disk. It read as DD 5.1 on the set up menu....when playing the actual movie my BDP 1400 Displayed "multi ch DTS HD".

Paul

Pioneer Kuro 60", Integra DHC 80.3, Parasound Halo A51, Oppo 93, ELAC FS247's, Velodyne SPLR1000.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-11-19, 06:41 PM
Veteran

Gord, as much as I don't give two shakes about BD-Live, I know your frustration. I had a very similar experience trying to get my Digital Copy of Juno authorized.

Disney had better not give me any grief over that when my copy of Wall*E arrives.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-11-19, 09:27 PM

same here... it's also 6.1, not the 5.1 stated on both the jacket and audio options menu.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-11-23, 05:12 PM

Pixar Story

OK. I'm obviously just blind, but I can't for the life of me find "The Pixar Story" on my 3-disc Blu-Ray Wall-E that I just bought. I've looked all through the menu choices on disc two but I just don't see it. Can someone please provide me with a forehead slapping moment and tell me where it is?

Thanks
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-11-23, 05:25 PM
Veteran

I watched Wall-E with my wife and friends last night. We all enjoyed it. I think I'll enjoy it more the next few times I watch it. Like the incredibles, I enjoy it more and more each time. Make sure you watch the Burn-E short. I was really good.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-11-23, 11:46 PM
Veteran

Greg, some of the menus scroll - you just have to press the arrow button a few more times and you'll find it there. It's on the 2nd disc under the "Humans" section.

Hope that helps,
Gord
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-11-25, 07:55 PM

I watched it in the theatres a few months ago and I loved it. I thought the story was great and the animation is excellent.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-11-28, 11:33 PM

Home Theater Optimization Screens

Anyone try this option at the main menu ? You are supposed to see three yellow rectangles around a circle. I only see two ! Also for the brightness, contrast and gamma setting, the pattern will not stay on the screen and jumps to the next one.
Anyone else experience this ?
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-12-02, 10:25 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
I was extremely pissed off, after wasting 1.5 hours trying to register for a Disney BD-Live account, to find out that Disney doesn't support BD Live in Canada (WHAT?!).
I can't believe how much crap junk mail I've gotten from Disney since enrolling in their stupid BD Live program. It comes daily. Never never again.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-12-08, 10:23 AM

I watched this during the weekend. I must say the PQ was great (I can't comment the AQ as this was played on a cheap audio system).

But the story... I was disappointed by the first half of the movie, found it a bit lacking. Fortunately, the second half (arriving on the Axiom and there on) was great. Loved the "Burn-E" extra also, but the magician one was ordinary.

Tags
pixar , review , wall-e

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in