Ordering from Amazon.co.uk to Canada - Your experiences? Mine inside. - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 2007-06-02, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Eug
Rookie

Ordering from Amazon.co.uk to Canada - Your experiences? Mine inside.

Well, I got my La Haine & Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire HD DVDs from Amazon.co.uk yesterday. It only 2 days to ship from the UK!

However, I did have to pay taxes, duty, and the handling fee on this small order though. Have people been able to avoid this by ordering single HD DVDs? If not, it might not be worth ordering from Amazon.co.uk unless you have 2 or more discs to buy. Shipping isn't much cheaper if you order just a single disc, and the handling fee of $5 is still the same.

In case any of you are considering an overseas order, perhaps the details of mine might help you out.

My order:

Harry Potter: £11.04
La Haine: £12.75
Shipping: £4.07
Total: £27.86 (Charged as CAD$61.28 on my credit card.)

Canada Border Services Agency fees (administered by Canada Post):

Value declared for duty in CAD$ - $50.96

Duty: $3.06 (6% of declared value)
GST: $3.24 (6% of declared value + duty)
PST: $4.32 (8% of declared value + duty, in Ontario)
Handling: $5.00 (flat rate)
Total: $15.62

Overall Total: $76.90

That works out to $38.45, which isn't bad considering it would be $49.99 + 14% = $57 for the La Haine import alone from HMV. $38.45 is like paying $33.73 + tax locally.

P.S. In case you're wondering, the prices on Amazon.co.uk include VAT. If you're shipping to Canada, the price will drop when you add the title to your cart because they remove the VAT.

Last edited by Eug; 2007-06-02 at 10:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 2007-06-02, 11:53 AM
Rookie

I did an order from Amazon.co.uk in 2005 (Batfink DVD set) which got intercepted and given the duty/tax/fee treatment. I did another two or three in April/May 2006, as well as a couple from HMV Australia, and none of those 5 or 6 shipments got caught at all (details here). I doubt if the contents of any of the shipments would have been over £20-30 max.

I'm not sure what factors enter into them leaving a shipment alone. It probably depends on how busy they are - during quiet times they may pick up a larger proportion of the small-value things, which I assume might be one of the criteria for being skipped when they can't. I haven't an order in a year, so I don't know if last spring was a fluke or not.

The only things I order like this are films that are unavailable as R1 DVDs. I've got about a dozen (either R2 from UK or R4 from Australia), including some goodies like Greenaway's "Drowning By Numbers" or John Huston's "The Dead", which are criminally unavailable on R1.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 2007-06-02, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Eug
Rookie

Hmmm...

My order was only £28 and they still decided to ding me on it. Bad luck I guess.

Maybe it is worth it to order the discs separately next time, to save on the extra taxes and fees. Sure, the shipping is more, but in the end it would come out cheaper (assuming they're not tightening up stuff in general).

ie.

Harry Potter: £11.04 + £3.08 shipping = £14.12
La Haine: £12.75 + £3.08 shipping = £15.83

Total: £29.95. At the exchange rate I got charged for my shipment, it ends up being CAD$66.88, or a savings of $11.

Not a huge amount to be sure, but it saves on the hassle factor cuz you don't have to go to the post office, and if most single disc orders are cheap enough that Canada Post won't bother stopping them, then one shouldn't be too afraid to pay the proportionally higher shipping costs for single discs.

Mind you, that's assuming the single discs are as cheap as what I paid for them. A lot of the discs on Amazon.co.uk are much higher priced unfortunately.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 2007-06-02, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Eug
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eug
It only 2 days to ship from the UK!
Oops. That's wrong. 4 days. Still, that's pretty good considering it went thru customs.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 2007-06-05, 01:11 PM
Rookie

I ordered the "Network" brand Space:1999 Season 1 DVDs from Amazon.uk back in October. They are Region 2, PAL discs but play in my off-brand Chinese DVD player. Anyway, it took only 3 days to get them and I had to pay duty and taxes right to the Canada Post mailman (he took my credit card and processed it right at my front door).

I couldn't be happier. These discs are not available in North America and were recently remastered. They are much better than the A&E versions available here. For those who are interested:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Space-1999-1...1063303&sr=8-1
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 2017-11-13, 10:03 AM

Mr.

i want to order from amazon in the uk to canada how is this done
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 2017-11-13, 11:44 AM
Rookie

Just go to Amazon.co.uk in a browser and order as usual. You may need to create a Amazon.co.uk account. Orders over $25 may be subjected to import fees and taxes (as noted above.) Some items don't ship to Canada so it may be necessary to find another vendor on Amazon or eBay, or by searching with Google.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 2017-11-13, 12:58 PM
Rookie

You can get some really good bargains from Zavvi in UK, they usually ship multiple items in separate packages.
Same applies with Groovesland in Germany.
They might not have what you want but it's worth a look.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 2017-11-13, 04:08 PM
Rookie

For movies and music, a lot of US and UK sellers also list on Amazon.ca. There are a lot of good deals compared to Canadian retail prices. Even with the extra shipping, it will often be half the price of ordering from Canada with free shipping.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 2017-11-13, 08:20 PM
Rookie

And thankyou for getting me to read 10 year old posts.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 2017-11-14, 02:16 PM
Rookie

They still apply. Not much progress in the Canadian retail sector in 10 years.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 2017-11-24, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedrongo View Post
You can get some really good bargains from Zavvi in UK, they usually ship multiple items in separate packages.
Same applies with Groovesland in Germany.
They might not have what you want but it's worth a look.
This is wonderful news. I recently booked an order from zavvi and was wondering about duty.. Does it mean they ship individually so it wont attract duty? whats your experience.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in