What are you watching on Blu-ray? (and discussion of said titles) - Page 130 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1936 of 1945 (permalink) Old 2018-05-04, 10:10 PM
Premium Supporter

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle - Four teens in detention stumble upon - and are pulled into - an old video game that requires them to complete a difficult challenge in order to save the day, end the game and return them to the real world. If they can learn to trust and rely on each other, they will conquer Jumanji; if they don't, Jumanji will conquer them.

Comments: I'm a fan of the original and I wasn't sure what to expect from this quasi-sequel but I was pleasantly surprised: It was entertaining overall and, in a few instances, laugh-out-loud enjoyable.

Blu-ray: PQ and AQ - appropriately huge and thunderous - were perfect.
dm_4u likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1937 of 1945 (permalink) Old 2018-05-23, 09:42 AM
Rookie

The Matrix - 4k UHD in Dolby Vision

Just played The Matrix in 4K. It looked amazing in Dolby Vision. The picture had much greater detail than the Blu Ray.
HDR really came through (in Dolby Vision). I'd recommend this to anyone who wants to see what a UHD Blu Ray can do!
post #1938 of 1945 (permalink) Old 2018-06-02, 09:49 PM
Premium Supporter

Stop Making Sense - Talking Heads play Hollywood's Pantages Theater in 1983 during a tour to promote their latest album ("Speaking in Tongues").

Comments: I am not a Talking Heads fan, but this was a weirdly interesting blend of concert movie and performance art. The song "Once In A Lifetime" (a personal favourite) is, IMO, worth the (~$17) price of admission.

Blu-ray: PQ, overall, was roughly SD quality but at least it was relatively consistent. AQ of the "regular" DTS-HD MA mix was big and reasonably immersive, while the DTS-HD MA "Studio Mix" was distractingly bass-heavy.

post #1939 of 1945 (permalink) Old 2018-06-04, 04:29 PM
Rookie

Re: Stop Making Sense

Were the first few songs massively out of sync? My DVD from probably 20 yeas ago is like that especially the first song 'Psycho Killer'. I'm talking about probably 2 seconds out of sync.
post #1940 of 1945 (permalink) Old 2018-06-11, 03:39 PM
Premium Supporter

As far as I could tell, audio and video were perfectly synched.
post #1941 of 1945 (permalink) Old 2018-10-05, 09:41 PM
Premium Supporter

Ready Player One - A group of dystopian real-world misfits team up to prevent evil-corp IOI from taking taking control of and corrupting their utopian cyber-world.

Comments: This movie is an easy-to-watch combination of fairly bland and simple story-telling slathering in pop-culture references and some truly awesome CGI.

Blu-ray: PQ and AQ were perfect.
dm_4u likes this.
post #1942 of 1945 (permalink) Old 2018-11-04, 02:13 AM
Rookie

2001: A Space Odyssey

Still a great film against which other sci-fi films must be measured. And the 4K restoration is wonderful!
post #1943 of 1945 (permalink) Old 2018-11-30, 09:17 PM
Premium Supporter

The Fate of the Furious - Dom is "persuaded" by cyber-terrorist Cipher to turn on family...but luckily for Dom family won't turn on him.

Comments: I liked F7 and while this movie wasn't all bad it was so incredibly cheesy it could have killed me...but it didn't. But it could have.

post #1944 of 1945 (permalink) Old 2019-09-28, 08:36 PM
Premium Supporter

Thumbs up

The Rolling Stones: Sweet Summer Sun - Hyde Park Live - The Stones play Hyde Park, London, in 2013 as part of their "50 & Counting" concert tour.

Comments: Beautiful set, great sound and visuals (notwithstanding a few too many audience shots - a minor quibble), a solid set-list and an infectiously entertaining performance by the band. What's not to like?

Last edited by eljay; 2019-09-28 at 09:58 PM.
post #1945 of 1945 (permalink) Old 2019-12-06, 10:28 PM
Premium Supporter

Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw - Unlikely allies Luke Hobbs and Deckard Shaw team up to find Shaw's sister, retrieve and neutralize the programmable virus, battle Eteon and cyber-soldier Brixton Lore and save the world. They say you can never go home...but sometimes that's exactly what you have to do.

Comments: It was pretty much what I expected: A big, explosion-y and highly-improbable - but reasonably-entertaining - movie.

Blu-ray: PQ and AQ were excellent.
dm_4u likes this.

Tags
blu-ray

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in