Ultraviolet (UV) Streaming - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 2019-02-01, 04:30 PM
Premium Supporter

On the UV website at https://www.myuv.com/retailers , there is a setting in the lower right corner to change countries.

Changing from the USA to Canada reveals a different set of retailers.

I don't use the UV service, so I can't test to see which one, if any, will work.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg UV-Retailers-Canada.JPG (63.6 KB, 181 views) File Type: jpg UV-Retailers-USA.jpg (60.5 KB, 178 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 2019-02-01, 07:59 PM
Veteran

The only site of the three that really works for Canadians is Flixster. The other two are limited in their scope and utility. Flixster has served me well but it has already shut down in the US so I'm just not confident that it has much of a future in Canada. If it goes then all of the digital movies that I've downloaded or for which I have streaming rights from UV will be garbage.

And in the meantime almost every disc I buy continues to include a digital copy whether I want it or not. It is bad enough that each copy is usually only playable in only one of the two phone/tablet ecosystems but now almost every digital copy is tied to Movies Anywhere which despite its name doesn't sell their services to Canadians. Digital copies are becoming useless in Canada and I would hope the disc producers would remove the digital copy/code included in all Canadian disc packages and hopefully give us a break on the price. (I can dream).
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 2019-02-06, 05:04 PM

So, I had Flixster from couple of years ago and still works (it has chromecast ability too), do I have to do anything about UltraViolet email?

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 2019-02-07, 02:29 PM
Veteran

If there are any emails with important information such as license keys or account information then I would save them locally or forward them to a secure email service.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 2019-02-07, 06:03 PM
Veteran

Flixster's situation is weird. I redeemed something on there at Christmas and it was an adventure dealing with WB support (who apparently own Flixster movies in Canada now?). It seems WB has another movie app that doesn't work reliably here so they support Flixster for us, although I can't imagine that state of affairs will go on forever.

If you've already linked UV and Flixster together, you shouldn't have to do anything in regards to the email.
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 2019-04-18, 09:56 AM
Veteran

Five of my UV movies have suddenly become "unavailable". Can anyone tell me why? (I'm using the Flixster android app)
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 2019-06-20, 02:27 PM

Got this email today:

Following the announcement by UltraViolet that it will be discontinuing its service on July 31, 2019, we are writing to provide you notice that Flixster Video is planning to shut down its website, applications and operations on October 31, 2019.

To enable you to continue to enjoy your video collection after the shutdown of Flixster Video, we have made arrangements to allow Flixster Video users to migrate available videos in their Flixster Video collections to Google Play. Google Play is a global online store that is home to the latest apps, games, music, movies, TV shows, books and magazines you can enjoy and share on all your favorite devices.

Please note that certain videos in your Flixster Video collection may not be available for migration to Google Play. Certain other limitations may apply subject to the terms of service and available features of Google Play in your country.

We will provide you further notice and information once this Flixster Video – Google Play migration process is available for Flixster Video users, which is expected to be in July 2019
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 2019-06-21, 08:46 AM
Veteran

So my fears as outlined in post #17 in this thread have now come true. As a Google Play Movies user already this will hopefully make the transition seamless although that I'm concerned about movies to which Google Play may not have the rights. The idea that the rights owners can withdraw their permissions on a whim is one of the reasons that I have never made much use of cloud based anything. I own those digital movies (paid for them when I bought the discs) and now I may lose them. If that does happen it's outright theft of my property.
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 2019-06-21, 02:47 PM
Veteran

Blu-ray discs themselves are not much different from cloud based movies. You don't own the content on the discs, only a conditional license to view it. Rights to view the discs can be revoked at any time and some player makers have had their licensing rights revoked, potentially making discs unplayable on their equipment. I've seen a number of software based Blu-ray players become unusable because they were abandoned by their developers. The main difference is that the disc and hardware player markets are more stable than streaming services. Streaming and cloud based services are a less stable market with a lot of consolidation and failures taking place.
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 2019-06-22, 09:35 AM
Veteran

@ExDilbert : OT. You seem to know a lot about movie rights. Is there any truth to the rumour that physical bluray discs have a secret flag that if activated by the movie studios would make a disc unviewable and turn it into a drink coaster? I seem to remember a couple of stories about this in the media shortly before BDs were introduced but since then I've never seen the subject mentioned anywhere. Know anything?
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 2019-06-22, 11:47 AM
Veteran

Blu-ray discs are encrypted using a key that is created by the movie studios. Players have a set of decryption keys built in but new discs may require that a new, current key be obtained online. Without the correct key, the disc is unplayable. Decryption keys may be revoked at any time, though I've never heard of it happening.
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 2019-06-23, 10:56 AM
Veteran

@ExDilbert : Thanks for the information. It does open up some interesting possibilities in the future.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 2019-07-26, 11:55 AM

Update:

We informed you in an e-mail last month that Flixster Video is planning to shut down its website, applications and operations later this year, and that we have made arrangements with Google Play to enable you to migrate available videos in your Flixster Video collection to Google Play. While we had expected the Flixster Video – Google Play migration process to be available in July, this migration process is not yet ready and available for Flixster Video users. We expect to launch this service soon and appreciate your patience.

We will provide you further notice and information once this migration process is ready and available for Flixster Video users.
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 2019-07-27, 04:56 PM
Veteran

I got this email from Flixster.

IMPORTANT ACCOUNT NOTICE

To Flixster Video users:

As you are aware, UltraViolet will cease operations and shut down its service on July 31, 2019.

The shutdown of UltraViolet will not impact the titles in your Flixster Video collection or your ability to view those titles, as we have worked to retain each user’s video collection information on Flixster Video. You can also continue to redeem valid digital codes for movies and television shows on Flixster Video after the shutdown, but these redemptions will no longer be added to your UltraViolet account and will only appear in your Flixster Video collection.

We informed you in an e-mail last month that Flixster Video is planning to shut down its website, applications and operations later this year, and that we have made arrangements with Google Play to enable you to migrate available videos in your Flixster Video collection to Google Play. While we had expected the Flixster Video – Google Play migration process to be available in July, this migration process is not yet ready and available for Flixster Video users. We expect to launch this service soon and appreciate your patience.

We will provide you further notice and information once this migration process is ready and available for Flixster Video users.

Thank you,

The Flixster Video Team
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 2019-07-28, 10:33 AM
Veteran

Received the following last night from UV:

"We want to thank you for making UltraViolet part of how you enjoy entertainment. Our mission to facilitate greater access to digital movies and TV shows and help users build online entertainment libraries has come to an end.

As previously announced, UltraViolet will cease operations on Wednesday July 31, 2019. Hopefully, you followed the directions included in our previous emails and linked to one or more retailers before the UltraViolet shutdown and are able to access some or all of your previously acquired movies and TV shows. Going forward, you can redeem digital codes included in packaged media and make additional electronic purchases from retailers.

Thank you again for being a part of UltraViolet.

Sincerely,
UV Team"

I'm still leery that I'm going to lose some or all of my collection on Aug. 1 as I don't trust the cloud, but it was nice of them to send that email. Not too many companies these days send a final goodbye message to their users when they shut down.

Now for those of us with UV accounts linked to Flixster, we can only wait and see how Flixster will handle their shutdown this fall. Perhaps the moderators should change this forum to include Flixster Canada's demise and the upcoming transfers of our movie libraries to Google Play Movies or even create a separate forum to handle issues arisng from that transition.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in