Star Trek (2009 Reboot) On BD & DVD: Nov. 17, 2009 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 2009-11-16, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

Thumbs up Star Trek (2009 Reboot) On BD & DVD: Nov. 17, 2009

As mentioned in this main Digital Home site article, the Star Trek (2009 Reboot) movie comes to retailers tomorrow in a variety of Blu-ray and DVD packages.

Looking at sales flyers and the sites of many Canadian retailers there appear to be several editions of each, from basic to added-feature or enhanced packaging versions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 2009-11-16, 09:37 PM

Will be picking up my 'Steelbook edition' from Future Shop tomorrow.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 2009-11-17, 09:49 AM
Veteran

I just posted about the pricing for this in another discussion, so I won't repeat the details.

Is anyone going to start a discussion in the Digital Deals section about where to get this movie cheap?

Having had a quick look at Futureshop and Bestbuy, it looks like they are deliberately not carrying the same items. FS has far more options, and BB is more expensive but does not have the same items, so you can't price match.

Is FS the only one with the steelbook?

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 2009-11-17, 10:28 AM
Veteran

Anyone know if there is a chance of getting stuff like this at a major discount during the US Black Friday sales?

Sorry if this seems like the wrong area for such a query - I am asking specifically about this movie. I am guessing that a general disucssion of Black Friday deals does belong in the Digital Deals area.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 2009-11-17, 05:15 PM

I remember reading somewhere that Future Shop has exclusive rights for 'Steelbook' versions in Canada. That's why you don't see them elsewhere.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 2009-11-17, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

The 3-BD set I got at BB today came with a plastic model of the Enterprise, with the saucer section flipping open to where the BD discs are stored. Only BB has that version in Canada, from what the store's display said.

The model is cheap and kind of tacky, but if the package is never opened or unwrapped, cheap and tacky goes a long way with Trek memorabilia collectors in the years to come.

The movie itself is on Disc 1, while Disc 2 contains over 3 hours of special features, and Disc 3 is for iTunes or WMP users to download a digital copy of the movie with the supplied serial code. I'll be picking up a proper DVD/BD case for putting the BD discs into.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 2009-11-17, 11:08 PM

Picked up a BR 3 disc copy in the USA today for 1 cent less than a 20.

Much better than the CDN pricing. The Canadian retailers and studios need to smell the coffee quickly..........

Samsung LNS4692D, Oppo 981HD, PS3,
Denon AVR-2309, Tannoy mX series, Mirage S10 Sub
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 2009-11-17, 11:08 PM

Just finished watching Star Trek with my wife. We both enjoyed it. PQ and AQ were good. Well done Paramount.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 2009-11-18, 08:22 AM

I bought the regular 3 disc edition at Best Buy and it had 2 copies of disc 2 in it, no disc 1. Taking it back today and hope they have more copies.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 2009-11-18, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennH View Post
Picked up a BR 3 disc copy in the USA today for 1 cent less than a 20.

Much better than the CDN pricing. The Canadian retailers and studios need to smell the coffee quickly..........
Never used to be that kind of price difference Canada vs US. I remember looking at some Bluray in the States and they were more expensive even without the exchange factored in. Never saw Star Trek anywhere yesterday in Canada cheaper than $29.99 some places $34.95, what is it gas?
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 2009-11-18, 01:15 PM
Veteran

Although I loved this movie, and really want to rush out and buy it, I have to wonder about something......

It has been released at a good time for the Americans, what with the Thanksgiving shopping binge only a few days away.

However, most major movies seem to be released in yet another version, "Director's Cut" or "Unrated Cut" or somesuchlike, just a short while after the initial release.

I wonder if this will happen with the Star Trek movie as well?
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 2009-11-18, 01:30 PM

Question

Has anyone noticed that its a quieter soundtrack (very dynamic though)? I had to crank the opening 10mins up 10dbs to match other discs that I watched - its Dolby TrueHD (or is something weird going on with my setup?)

Panasonic PT-AE2000U|Elite Cinetension2 100"|Yamaha RX-V3900|PS3|Paradigm Monitor 7|Bose AM-10s|Polk PSW350
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 2009-11-18, 01:59 PM
Member #1

Please keep all discussions on the movie and blu-ray edition. If you want to discuss cheapest price etc, use the Digital Deals forum

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 2009-11-18, 02:08 PM

watch for the shot with R2D2 in it!

http://gizmodo.com/5405276/confirmed...d-in-star-trek
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 2009-11-18, 05:19 PM

Quote:
However, most major movies seem to be released in yet another version, "Director's Cut" or "Unrated Cut" or somesuchlike, just a short while after the initial release.
I wouldnt say most...even then, considering those terms mean almost nothing these days, I wouldn't be too worried about picking it up now.

Sharp LC-52D64U, Yamaha HTR-6160, XBOX 360 w/ HD DVD, PS3, Wii

Tags
blu-ray , new release , star trek

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in