16/9 monitors do not impress me... yet - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 2009-01-05, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

16/9 monitors do not impress me... yet

There are two lcd monitors in use in this house. Wife has a 4/3 19 incher and I have a Viewsonic model 2021, also 4/3 ratio. Just purchased a non-returnable, refurbished 16/9 24 inch Samsung from a close out type store. I thought my computer was fairly up to date but none of the bells and whistles function on my computer such as Magic Tune, automatic setup etc. All family photos look like everyone suddenly gained 20 pounds (@Xmas?? ). Horizontal linearity adjustment seems to be a non adjustment. Is this a common problem with these wide skinny monitors? My video card is a NVidea. I can adjust brightness, contrast and gamma. I cannot adjust Image Sharpening although that function shows up on the display settings. The slider washes out and cannot be moved. I have stayed with 1024 x 768. Higher settings are too small for these tired old 77 year old eyes. Refresh rate is 75hz. Comments on my "problems" are most welcome. sailmaker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 2009-01-05, 02:14 PM

Larger monitors are meant to be run at their native resolutions (probably 1920X1200). The sharpness will not be there unless you run it at its 'proper' resolution. You can try increasing the font size and icon size and see if that helps.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 2009-01-05, 02:19 PM

>>>>>All family photos look like everyone suddenly gained 20 pounds......I have stayed with 1024 x 768<<<

If you are going to hook up a widescreen monitor (16:9) to your computer, you should set your computer to output a 16:9 resolution. If you send it a 4:3 resolution (such as 1024x768), everything gets stretched horizontally to fit the widescreen format, thus making everyone look fat.

If the resolution selected makes text look small, try changing the size of the text within the program you are using.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 2009-01-05, 02:21 PM

Location: Ottawa (Barrhaven)Toshiba 37HL57 LCD , SA8300HD, Rogers, Homemade HTPC running GBPVR/Hauppage 150
Quicksilver is correct. A 16x9 LCD will look terrible if not run at it's native resolution (24 is probably 1680x1050) but your graphics card should be able to run in 1440x900 or even 1280x800 to at least maintain the aspect ratio and make your pictures look normal. If your slider in the display properties do not have those ratios, make sure you have installed the driver for that monitor that came with it and make sure you have the latest graphics driver installed. If the monitor shows as a plug and play LCD then it will need the monitor driver installed so it will tell windows what resolution's it can handle.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 2009-01-05, 02:24 PM
Veteran

I agree - I hate the widescreen LCD monitors. What we need when surfing the web is more vertical space - not horizontal space. Web pages are long, not wide. There are very few applications that benefit from a widescreen. Unless you use the native resolutions, which are way too high (making everything really tiny), the text is way too fuzzy. I much prefer the old-4:3 monitors for computer applications. For TV, that's another story, but for computer use the widescreen monitors suck.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 2009-01-05, 02:58 PM

I love my 19" 16/9 monitor at home and find it hard to go back to the 4/3 one at work. It looks so much more "tv-ish" for one thing. And when I do have to work from home, it's so much nicer to be able to have two screens open side by side without having to tab between them. But I guess it's a matter of taste.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 2009-01-05, 02:59 PM
Veteran

Many wide screen monitors let you rotate them vertically, so you have more height than width. Good for editing documents I suppose. Personally I like the wide screen, but as stated, they need to be set to their native resolution.

-Mike

Sony XBR65X930D | Denon AVR-X1300W | BELL Fibe | Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K | XBOX One X
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 2009-01-05, 03:03 PM

There was a batch of Samsung monitors that Futureshop had on sale recently that only allowed selection of display resolution three times - 3 strikes and you were out of luck. It would lock you out, and not allow any chance of performing a reset.

Boo to Samsung forsuch a product.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 2009-01-05, 04:15 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent View Post
There was a batch of Samsung monitors that Futureshop had on sale recently that only allowed selection of display resolution three times - 3 strikes and you were out of luck. It would lock you out, and not allow any chance of performing a reset.

Boo to Samsung forsuch a product.
I think the term for this "type" of monitors is "defective" and there are a few easy solutions, all involving customer service.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 2009-01-05, 04:35 PM

the 3 strike monitor was the 2443BW
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 2009-01-05, 05:42 PM

Right click in the middle of your desktop, Properties, Settings tab, the slider on the left side (screen resolution), move it as far to the right as it will go, this will tell you what the highest/largest resolution that your nVidia card will support, then mess with it resolution till it looks good and fits your new screen.....look up the specs for the Monitor and match the resolution numbers as close as possible (eg:1440x1050)....its all about matching the max resolution of your video card to your monitor's max resolution....some tweaking will be needed......

Sony 46XBR3, STR-DE898, PS3 60GB, JBL fronts, Bose rears, Polk sub/center, HK-DVD22, BellTVHD, Harmony1
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 2009-01-05, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

WOW! Never thought my post would bring so many helpful comments. But I agree with Larry, 16/9 monitors are not the best for internet use such as reading emails, newspapers, etc. Many thanks to all for responding. Monitors 101 class is in session. Now I have a handle on where I went wrong. NVidea can be accessed directly by right clicking a blank spot on the desktop, same idea as BadLag suggested. I tried all the preset settings. This is what is available: 1920x1200; 1600x1200; 1600x900; 1280x1024; 1280x960; 1152x864; 1024x768 and your favourite and mine (just kidding) 800x600. Several solutions come to mind. One is to take back my Viewsonic monitor from my wife (she is not thrilled with it anyway). Another is to switch settings just for viewing all those family photos that keep showing up in my emails and then reverting to my 1024x768 which works just fine for reading newspapers etc. Thanks to all and to all a good night. sailmaker
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 2009-01-06, 12:30 PM
Veteran

1920x1200 is likely the display's native resolution and you should really set it there and leave it. If the icons and type are too small, you can change the default sizes.

A 24" widscreen display is the SAME HEIGHT as a 19" 4:3 display so you loose absolutely nothing but rather, you gain width. Most 24" displays have a higher vertical resolution which makes everything look smaller, but the higher resolution is really a good thing.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 2009-01-06, 12:38 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, SA8300HD + 640GB external drive. Samsung LCD LN40A750 1080p 120Hz. Blu-Ray BD-P1500
Quote:
higher vertical resolution which makes everything look smaller, but the higher resolution is really a good thing.
What is "good" is not universal. What's good for one is not good for all. People with reduced vision or older eyes often have difficulty on high-resolution monitors. Two points:

1. LCD monitors will display their best and sharpest image only when run at their intended native resolution.

2. If the native resolution is too small for you to read text comfortably (assuming you've tried increasing font and icon sizes), then get a different monitor. Get a good monitor with a resolution and physical screen size that suit you better, that will be comfortably readable.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 2009-01-06, 12:48 PM
Veteran

I disagree. If you enlarge the fonts and the icon size than those things are made up of more pixels which makes them sharper and easier to see.

XP isn't wonderful (to say the least) at handling this sort of thing, but Vista's Aero interface is and so are Macs. You can't blame the technology for XP's shortcomings.

To suggest otherwise is akin to suggesting that the visually impaired are better off with a 53" 4:3 TV and NTSC resolution rather than a 65" widescreen with High Definition.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in