Need to improve home network speed - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2009-01-04, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Need to improve home network speed

I'm looking for some suggestions on improving my home network speed.

I have two computers connencted via cat5 to a Linksys wireless-g router (model wrt54gs) and then a PS3 is connected wirelessly in another room. I find my PS3 connection is very slow. Streaming a movie from my PC to the PS3 is choppy and just plain awful. Downloading a small file off the playstation network would take longer than expected. Sharing files between both PC's is not something I'm too worried about...it's mainly the problem with the PS3.

I have been thinking of running a ethernet cable to the PS3, because this is an option with my home layout. I'd have to pick up a 25 foot or longer cable but it could work. If this was the case I wouldn't need the wireless router and this is fine by me. The less wireless interfernece running through my house the better.

Should I buy a gigabit switch or router? Should i use cat6 cables?

Whatever I do...I'm looking for a significant increase in performance, not a marginal one.

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2009-01-04, 11:57 AM

How significant an increase are you looking for?

Simply going from wireless to wired will get you about a 4X improvement. There is actually quite a bit of overhead on a wireless network so the "50 Mbps" that is advertised by G networks is translates to more like 25 Mbps in the real world.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2009-01-04, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Well 4x would probably be sufficient...but at the same time I don't mind spending some money to drastically increase the speed.

I don't know much about gigabit switches...would say a D-LINK DGS-1005D be worth it? 1000 mbps would be nice

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2009-01-04, 01:13 PM

I would look into upgrading your router first, http://www.Smallnetbuilder.com/ is a great place to research them.

There's no real need for cat 6 unless you are running real long runs of cable which is highly unlikely in a house but if the cost isn't an issue then it wont hurt.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2009-01-04, 01:14 PM

I can't comment on the quality of the various gigabit switches.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2009-01-04, 01:25 PM

The PS3 has gigabit ethernet and the difference is significant. If you go wired, go gigabit with CAT6 and a gigabit router (D-Link DIR-655/825 or Linksys WRT-310N/610N). You could also go wireless N but I believe the PS3 has wireless G onboard so you would need to invest in an access point as well to get any real benefit.

That said, the internet is not gigabit so you will not see the benefit of a gigabit router in your internet speed (you will see the benefit of a wired device however). Where gigabit pays off is in file transfers from net device to net device. 10/100 should be sufficient for streaming. I haven't streamed over 10/100 in some time so I cannot give a direct comparison. What I can say is that I am running gigabit and get silky smooth streaming of HD content from my Windows Server to my PS3.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2009-01-04, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Ok, thanks all. This will put me on the right track.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2009-01-04, 01:51 PM

I picked up these...

http://www.dlink.ca/products/?sec=1&pid=533

They do 200Mbps max, and work great for me. Now... you CAN'T have them through a powerbar, but I managed to make it work.

PS3 needs to be wired IMO. It's night and day for me.

I also just replaced a Linksys Wireless N router with a D-Link DIR-655 and a wireless N card in my laptop.

My wireless connection, which I use on a laptop and for work STUNK. It's great now.

Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in