IE vs FF vs Chrome vs Safari - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 73 (permalink) Old 2009-01-05, 02:25 PM

Opera? Its my favourite and I've used the others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 73 (permalink) Old 2009-01-06, 01:18 PM
Veteran

Well, reading threads like this, one would wonder how come IE has 80% of the market!
Two simple reasons - it's always there, and it renders properly all web sites and that's what non-geek users (i.e. almost everybody) care about.
I personally use IE8 and FF, and to some extent IE7. With dual core processors being the norm these days, I'm not sure what you guys mean by "performance", since everything seems to be rendered instantaneously with any of the above mentioned browsers.
I hope IE8 becomes the mainstream Windows browser soon so that I won't have to click the IE7 compatability icon on the address bar for some web sites. I like it better than FireFox (my previous favourite). As for Chrome, Safari, Opera, etc. - I file them all in the "making a limited number of independently thinking users happy by working properly sometimes", a.k.a. "waste of time" category.
This opinion coming from a self-confessed, but easily running out of patience geek.
post #18 of 73 (permalink) Old 2009-01-06, 01:23 PM
Veteran

I use FF primarily, with IE 64bit as my backup.

post #19 of 73 (permalink) Old 2009-01-06, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Dent View Post
Well, reading threads like this, one would wonder how come IE has 80% of the market!
Two simple reasons - it's always there, and it renders properly all web sites and that's what non-geek users (i.e. almost everybody) care about.
I personally use IE8 and FF, and to some extent IE7. With dual core processors being the norm these days, I'm not sure what you guys mean by "performance", since everything seems to be rendered instantaneously with any of the above mentioned browsers.
I hope IE8 becomes the mainstream Windows browser soon so that I won't have to click the IE7 compatibility icon on the address bar for some web sites. I like it better than Firefox (my previous favourite). As for Chrome, Safari, Opera, etc. - I file them all in the "making a limited number of independently thinking users happy by working properly sometimes", a.k.a. "waste of time" category.
This opinion coming from a self-confessed, but easily running out of patience geek.
If compatibility button appears, does it mean that it isn't web standard? I used IE8 on the past, and I'm not quite sure about that. I'll hope that IE becomes more web standard based. It'll be more fair for other browsers to compete.
I used IE for primary browser and FF and chrome for secondary browser in the past, but I use FF for primary and Chrome for secondary and IE for back-up for those sites only support IE.
I wonder what site where you go usually. Most sites work good with FF, etc.(I go sites like amazon.ca, Wikipedia, "Ymail" & Gmail, etc.) Chrome, Safari, Opera actually works properly MOST times, not SOMETIMES.
post #20 of 73 (permalink) Old 2009-01-07, 12:04 AM

yeah, I have yet to see a site not render FF properly and I go to a lot of off the wall sites. Opera is more troublesome but I use it first due to its speed and out-of-the-box features keep it small. IE is last resort for things on Microsoft sites usually, go figure.
post #21 of 73 (permalink) Old 2009-01-07, 12:08 PM
Veteran

"Most times" and "sometimes" is pretty much the same to me. I don't have any more patience or time to install, test and inevitably uninstall freeware whose only "selling point" is "Down with Microsoft". FF and IE are the only browsing tools deserving to exist currently. It is true that FF is good for almost 100% of the web-sites I visit, but I prefer the feel and features of IE8.
post #22 of 73 (permalink) Old 2009-01-07, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
"Most times" and "sometimes" is pretty much the same to me. I don't have any more patience or time to install, test and inevitably uninstall freeware whose only "selling point" is "Down with Microsoft". FF and IE are the only browsing tools deserving to exist currently. It is true that FF is good for almost 100% of the web-sites I visit, but I prefer the feel and features of IE8.
I agree that I'd like those accelerators features, but it can all done by Add-ons for FF.
post #23 of 73 (permalink) Old 2009-01-10, 12:28 PM

I use FF and Chrome and if I absolutely have to, I will use IE, though like many of you, I HATE it.

I'm Legally blind and I like the clean aspect of Chrome and it's ability to not crash, also it increases font size so easily! I love that it does not make the screen wider (add a scroll bar on the bottom) I also love the inline spell checker, i find it is more intuitive than IE or FF.. Chrome is also easy to adjust the fonts ( I use Tahoma 16pt ) and I am just blown away by its speed.

I have used FF since the day it first came out in beta, I'm an old Netscape user as well, and in a few ways miss it a lot.

FF has been my main choice for so many reasons it would take too much space to say it all here.I just love it, espicially how you can install themes and make the buttons bigger. It also works well with my screenreader.(Jaws 8)
post #24 of 73 (permalink) Old 2009-01-11, 07:42 PM

Quote:
I dont have the patience for IE's numerous security updates that take ages to install. Its much quicker for updates for Opera and FF to install. IE's complete lack of featuers such as mouse gestures and lame keyboard shortcuts is frustrating. Also I like that Im safer from mal-websites by not using IE. In the end, to each their own.
post #25 of 73 (permalink) Old 2009-01-11, 08:43 PM

FF for me

Can someone link some of these infamous web site's that FF can't open? because I personally haven't seen one since before FF2
post #26 of 73 (permalink) Old 2009-01-15, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

There's plenty of sites that FF can't open. Most problems are for sites that use ActiveX to run some program that is needed to use some "function" of website. and "some problems" are that is coded exclusively for IE.
post #27 of 73 (permalink) Old 2009-01-15, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

IE8 will probably become the windows mainstream browser when Windows 7 comes out... but I don't know people will upgrade to Windows7 because many people didn't like Windows Vista, and many people are actually using Windows XP!
post #28 of 73 (permalink) Old 2009-01-19, 05:37 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop View Post
Can someone link some of these infamous web site's that FF can't open? because I personally haven't seen one since before FF2
http://maps.brampton.ca/

Maybe there's a way to make these maps work with FF3? Let me know, because I use FF all the time and I hate having to open IE every once in a while.
post #29 of 73 (permalink) Old 2009-01-19, 07:18 PM
Rookie

works for me firefox 3.1beta2
post #30 of 73 (permalink) Old 2009-01-19, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

It can't work. Brampton maps use Adobe SVG viewer and SVG viewer can be downloaded only in ActiveX form, and SVG viewer discontinued.
So *Brampton Maps* should change their form.

And you can download add-ons like IE tab, or website makers should make their site web-standard and their plug-in available in all browsers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in