Some Help/advice needed regarding wireless printing. - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-10-27, 04:25 AM Thread Starter

Some Help/advice needed regarding wireless printing.

Hi guys.

I'm going to have 4 laptops in a house with no desktop computer, the house already has wireless internet which works fine on all the laptops.

What should I do to be able to print wireless? Will a printer like the Dell 968 with wireless capability work just fine?

Or am I going to have to have it hooked up to a desktop?

I just need a printer where I can leave it alone in a room without having to hook it up to a desktop or to the the wireless modem directly.

Because instead of having a separate D Link Modem (I have telus) plus a router, the Telus guy just installed one black box into the basement storage room where all the electrical stuff is , and I don't think I want the printer down there.

Also if I can do this without a desktop, would it matter which laptop I ran the installation cd on?

I dunno, i'm just not sure what to do.

Thanks

Last edited by Needsomeadvice; 2008-10-27 at 05:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-10-27, 07:50 AM
Member #1

If you want the printer to be on your network without the need for a computer than buy a network printer. Network printers have ethernet ports and sometimes wireless capabilities.

You don't need wireless if you can hardwire it to your router. If you can't hardwire (or its a pain) then you will need to spend more for one that has wireless capabilities (see the HP ads running for some HP models)

I have HP and the setup is very easy. HP (and I imagine most vendors now) provide big diagrams and the setup is usually very routine.

The other option is to buy a regular printer and hook it up to a wireless print server. I don't recommend this as its more of a pain to setup and troubleshoot but it is an option.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-10-27, 08:03 AM

I have a wireless capable HP Photosmart. Also does Ethernet and USB II.

Set it up wirelessly from its own console... took 2 minutes.
Set up the Windows PCs both wired and wireless using the discs that came with the printer... took longer for the installer to load the discs than to do the set up.
From Linux there is a free from HP utility suite that can make the printer do all its tricks quite flawlessly.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-10-27, 04:00 PM
Veteran

Airport Express from Apple will do what you want, and has the added bonus of being able to be plugged into any electrical wall outlet; network printers have to be hard-wired to your wireless router - meaning you'll need ethernet cable where your printer is.

With the Airport Express, you simply plug it in close to where the printer is, "connect" it to your existing wireless network, plug the USB cable from the printer into the Airport Express, and - boom goes the dynamite - you've got yourself a networked wireless printer, useable on any Mac or PC.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-10-27, 04:05 PM
Member #1

Quote:
network printers have to be hard-wired to your wireless router - meaning you'll need ethernet cable where your printer is.
No that is not true. There are wireless network printers that don't require hardwire connections.

I don't think Airport Express is a great idea since it is simply acting as a wireless print server and you can buy a Wireless Print server that has multiple USB and ethernet ports for half the price of an Airport Express!

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-10-28, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
I don't think Airport Express is a great idea since it is simply acting as a wireless print server and you can buy a Wireless Print server that has multiple USB and ethernet ports for half the price of an Airport Express!
Hugh, you are forgetting: in 2008, nothing exists if Apple doesn't make it.
</sarcasm>
Uhg I hate fanboys.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in