WPA/WPA2 no better than WEP? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-10-13, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

WPA/WPA2 no better than WEP?

It looks like VPN is the only way left to run a wireless connection if you want others not to see the content...
Courtesy Elcomsoft, the same people that broke Adobe PDF protection, were sued for DMCA violation and won,
if you have SLI NV (better, a farm of them) you can crack WPA/WPA2 passwords 100 times faster.
http://securityandthe.net/2008/10/12...racking-speed/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-10-13, 11:20 AM
Veteran

The only thing really 'groundbreaking' with this news is the utilisation of NVIDIA GPU's in what is otherwise a conventional brute-force attack. I wouldn't really define a 100x increase as something that's out of this world.

And as per the article:

Quote:
Update: This will, of course, mainly affect simple ascii keys. And it will only work against static keys; anyone using more complicated authentication schemes will not be at risk for now. But since that takes a couple of extra minutes when installing, smaller businesses or departments often skip setting this up.
Meaning you are really only at risk using simple 6-8 character passphrases i.e. from a zdnet blog:

Quote:
a 15 character password made up of uppercase, lowercase, digits and common punctuation is highly resistant to a brute-force attack. Even at the rate of 100,000,000 password attempts a second, cracking that could take 3.5 x 10^12 years.
Anyway, if someone wants to build a dedicated password-cracking server farm so they can break my WPA security to see what pr0n I've got stored on my PC, then there's not much I can do about it
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-10-13, 11:29 AM

i'm in fear...what will i do now that all my 55+ year old neighbors who barely have an interest in turning a computer as it is, could pool their money and build a code breaking farm to see this message???????

location-alberta, shaw cable, motorola hdpvr

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-10-13, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

"In theory, there is no difference between practice and theory. In practice - there is."

The opening post wasn't targeting these know-it-all types... It was mostly theory.

First, there was no protection in the WiFi space and it was used. Under the same premise of 55 years old neighbours.
Then, WEP came along. And it was hailed as best thing after sliced bread until FBI showed how to break it in 5 minutes.
WPA2 was the latest significant development in consumer level routers. It was considered to be almost as good as VPN. Until now...

In practice, if you know what you're doing, this doesn't change much.
Install WPA Enterprise, RADIUS, use good passwords and you'll be OK
http://www.schneier.com/blog/archive...o_harvest.html
BTW, if you believe Schneier, the network must be free; the endpoints should be secured, aka VPN...

What this latest Elcomsoft announcement changes is the perception that WPA2 is "good enough" for sensitive communication...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-10-14, 10:39 AM
Veteran

Even "lowly" WEP64 coupled with MAC address filtering will give you all the protection you could want.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-10-14, 03:01 PM

MACs are easily cloned.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-10-14, 03:54 PM
Veteran

So now you're gonna break my WEP password AND spoof my MAC address (considering the real MAC is already on the network, have fun with that)?

Just how badly do you want those vacation photos from summer 2003?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-10-15, 02:20 AM

Since I can do a scan on my WRT54G or PSP and pick up 6 or so totally unsecured networks called "linksys" this is the least of the average clueless joes problems.

One scary one is called "AmExpress".... since I live by an airport "American Express the credit card company" comes to mind. They finally put up WPA protection after it was wide open for almost a year that I know of.

Epson EX71, Tosh HD-A2, Denon AVR590, Athena P4100, Infinity P362,C250,P162. RCA L42WD22, Pio VSX1016, Athena LS50
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-10-15, 10:22 AM
Veteran

More likely - I would hope - a courier company called AM Express!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-10-15, 11:52 AM
Veteran

Not saying it's the case in this instance, but sometimes, companies (or individuals) may broadcast an easily accessible/hackable 'dummy' signal that basically goes nowhere in order to steer attention away from their real, more secure, wi-fi network.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-11-06, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in