Ontario to introduce new tax on computers and televisions - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 2008-07-11, 11:22 AM
Veteran

I think it's a good idea, I believe they already have it in Alberta.
What I don't think is good is if this applies to computer components..
If I just replace a motherboard, am I going to have to pay $10 on top of that?
(Which can be as much as 1/6 the cost if its a lower-end board..)
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 2008-07-11, 02:02 PM

That's the exact same question I have. This is a tricky situation and I hope they've explored all the little details.

For example, what constitutes a PC? Is it a complete system with monitor? What if there's no monitor? What if I bought an assembled PC but without any hard drives? etc etc.

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 2008-07-12, 06:09 PM
Jaw

With building from parts there can be a lot of re-use. You can switch out a lot of stuff over time, slowly. I have had the same case for ages, and re-used stuff like power supplies, video cards, optical drives, etc, across various upgrades. Definitely a more "green" arrangement.

That being said, I agree and hope they have done something fair for those who build from parts. However I would be willing to bet at least one person who made this decision might've been unware that you can even build a computer from parts.

Here in Alberta the big focus has been on taxing monitors and TVs.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 2008-07-12, 06:25 PM

the alberta disposal service e-cycling from, i believe, February 2005? was a knee-jerk reaction at best. they really haven't done anything since then to add in, say, digital cameras or dvd players.

the price structure is a little funny, and as computer users, there are loopholes, you get charged for an entire tower, but you wouldnt get charged if you bought every single piece seperately at the same time and assembled them yourself.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 2008-07-12, 07:30 PM

Just another tax from the Liberals! This will do nothing concrete in real terms to make people recycle their electronics. If you want to make a real difference, make the fee refundable. I'll pay the fee, but when I bring back the said electronics, I should get the recycle fee back. Otherwise, most people will feel that they already paid the levy and did their part and just chuck it into the garbage. How many people will really run across town to a recycling depot to dispose of a single used cell phone or computer drive when they upgrade. You want people to recycle electronics, let me put them out in my recylce bins and it can be sorted in the sorting centre like the rest of the recycled materials.

Aquos LC42D64U Yamaha HTR6080 Emotiva XPA-5 Polk CSiA6 RTiA7's RTiA1's Velodyne DLS4000R Mot. 6416 III PS3 Harmony One
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 2008-07-12, 08:21 PM
Veteran

Quote:
the tax is necessary to deal with the disposal of about 90,000 tonnes of old computers, printers and televisions
Something doesn't sound right. The consumer will most likely not know that he's paying an extra fee because it will be rolled up in the price. So how is that going to ensure that this material does not end up in our landfill site? What will be the incentive to the consumer to make sure that this material is recycled? I mean, he already paid the levy at that point so what's the point?
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 2008-07-12, 10:10 PM

i can get behind the government starting initiatives to protect the environment and whatnot, but, it seems in the past few years since it's become the biggest deal, there has been no accountability to where that money is going... biggest/easiest example of that right now is the carbon tax in BC... any indication of knowing where that money is going? doubt it.

Saving the environment is surely a good thing, but using it as an excuse to squeeze more money out of our pockets for their own non-environmental agenda, is totally wrong.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 2008-07-13, 08:11 AM
tsa

Just another way to tax the people, remember the $5 tax on each tire here in Ontario. They collected 100s millions and none was used to recycle the tire and where are the money now?
Oh yes, what about the road tax in each liter of gas?

Don't get me wrong I totally support recycling but putting on another tax?
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 2008-07-13, 09:40 AM

Thumbs down

I agree, yet another tax grab. Here we have a $15 fee for disposal of electronics and other waste at a local depot. If the provincial $10 tax went directly to operate local recycling efforts by municipalities I could get on board. That way local fees for recycling hazardous waste could be eliminated and more items would get recycled. OTOH, I doubt local recycling efforts will see one penny of the new tax and taxpayers will end up paying twice to dispose of the taxed items.
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 2008-07-13, 10:10 AM

The Ontario government is supposed to open 400+ electronics recycling centers over Ontario this April to coincide with the introduction of the tax and the number of centers is supposed to grow to 600-700 within a few years.
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 2008-07-13, 04:10 PM
tsa

And I think they are going to charge GST and PST on that $10-$15 tax too.
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 2008-07-13, 04:59 PM
Veteran

Of course. I wouldn't expect any less.
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 2008-07-15, 12:08 PM

Thumbs down

TAXING = GREEN !

Don't get me wrong but another TAX I mean incentive to recycle Plueasssseee!

Since July 1 in Ontario you pay more for anything containing any sort of chemicals (engine oil,paint,cleaner,spray can,engine coolant,oil filter, etc...) but no word of how or where to send the empty's for recycling but since it is the Green thing to do we all feel better

Another way of squeezing money out of our pocket without doing any thing for the environment

I agree with wgauci!

Allow people to put it in the recycle bin it will be easier and no driving to the recycle centre...less pollution!

HL-R5064+DTB-260F,HL67A750,DVD-HD860,SA-DA10,Cable Free! ,OTA-DBGH,AT-PL120 A-Technica , OTA HTCP, PS3 Slim
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 2008-07-15, 01:17 PM

Thumbs down

I've been paying a recycling fee on old engine oil for over 15 years. Paying $2 to the people who handle the oil and actually send it out to be recycled I can live with. Putting the money into some nebulous government financial pit, I can't. You just know the next government is going to cut back or eliminate the recycling program in the name of fiscal restraint. The tax won't go away though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in