Ontario to introduce new tax on computers and televisions - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 46 (permalink) Old 2009-05-13, 11:29 AM
Veteran

Question

I would rather see the money go directly to city and regional governments, as they appear to be doing the most for recycling and waste disposal. We must pay for disposal of hazardous waste at city collection sites. Is that going to change? Then we must deal with people and companies who need incentives to recycle and dispose of hazardous waste safely. How about a refundable deposit?

Quote:
These items will be recycled at a small cost to residents – $2 apiece for most items, $10 for monitors and $15 for TV sets.
Like that's going to draw a large turnout. A free drop off day would be much better, where costs are paid for by the new tax. Fees like this just encourage some people to dump stuff in ravines and rivers. (Or in our back yard like somebody did with some old paint cans.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 (permalink) Old 2009-05-19, 03:33 PM

New tax on electronic

Sorry NeilN

I didn't see any official posting about the starting date of the new TAX

Since April 1 - 2009 an ECO TAX I mean FEE will be levied on every electronic
component follow the link >
http://www.ontarioelectronicstewards...ards/fees.html

More green for the Greeny

HL-R5064+DTB-260F,HL67A750,DVD-HD860,SA-DA10,Cable Free! ,OTA-DBGH,AT-PL120 A-Technica , OTA HTCP, PS3 Slim

Last edited by DLPAddict; 2009-05-19 at 03:43 PM. Reason: correction
post #33 of 46 (permalink) Old 2009-05-22, 08:43 AM
RRH

I don't mind paying it if I know the products getting recycled, the recyclers actually make very good money off computers especially ( gold content).

My biggest bitch is batteries I would really like to see some concentrated measures to get these out of landfills as currently less the 2% of all the alkaline batteries sold ever make it back into the proper recycling (disposal )stream and that's pretty scary.

If Iam any indication I can recycle about 20 a month out of my house alone
easily, and that's every single month sometimes a lot more.

post #34 of 46 (permalink) Old 2009-05-22, 09:29 AM

Bottle Deposits Work

I agree with all the refunders. Every product should have a return fee. How many coke cans and plastic bottles do you see left by the inconsiderate. Now how many beer or liquor bottles?

On the same theme, carbon tax makes way more sense than cap and trade.
post #35 of 46 (permalink) Old 2009-05-22, 09:50 AM
jem

Remember how that $5 tire "surcharge" was supposed to go toward proper disposal of tires in Ontario? Did that ever happen? No. I'm sure the same will happen with this new tax. It'll go into General Revenue, and never be put toward environmental cleanup.
post #36 of 46 (permalink) Old 2009-05-22, 10:23 AM

Quote:
If I am any indication I can recycle about 20 a month out of my house alone easily, and that's every single month sometimes a lot more.
Ever thought of using rechargeable ones ?
post #37 of 46 (permalink) Old 2009-05-22, 10:40 AM

I purchased a $30 electronic item and was charged $3.50 EHF in NS.
post #38 of 46 (permalink) Old 2009-05-22, 11:02 AM
RRH

Quote:
Ever thought of using rechargeable ones
OH I use lots of those as well in real high use items camera's and such, just don't have them in everything.
post #39 of 46 (permalink) Old 2009-05-22, 12:59 PM
Digital Sage

I just paid this tax for the first time this week. $13.50 for a refurb desktop.
post #40 of 46 (permalink) Old 2009-05-22, 04:02 PM

James I would investigate, you may be entitled to a refund because as far as I know and understand the fees, it does not apply to used equipment.

LONSat
post #41 of 46 (permalink) Old 2009-05-22, 11:04 PM

Picked up a new TV today. Gotta love the fact that you dinged GST & PST on top of it.

Samsung FP-T5084; Yamaha RXV1400; Sony BDP-S570 & SS-X speakers; SA 4250HD; JVC SVCR (STILL ticking), Panny TH42PZ800.
post #42 of 46 (permalink) Old 2009-05-23, 11:45 AM

Here in Greater Vancouver the (garbage) transfer stations don't accept TVs, computers, oil, paint, etc. It all goes to recycling centers. It's a mixed bag since one center doesn't accept everything.
post #43 of 46 (permalink) Old 2009-05-23, 01:12 PM

GST generally applies to any transaction so no surprise there. Per Retail Sales Tax (RST) rules the fee becomes part of the real value of the product being sold and is therefore taxable. If the RST didn't apply now it would have next year under the harmonized system anyways.

LONSat
post #44 of 46 (permalink) Old 2009-05-25, 07:09 PM

I've sent my old Price Phister taps back to them, my old router back to d-link.
I live where there is little recycling because of remoteness. So instead I'm sending my old stuff back to the manufacturer, without a return address.
post #45 of 46 (permalink) Old 2009-05-27, 05:46 AM
Veteran

Cool

I tried returning my old Sony VCR to the Sony service center here. They just threw it in the garbage bin out the back. In Europe, they would be required to accept and recycle it at no charge. Manufacturers should be responsible for the cost and recycling of their own products. That way, they have a stake in making new products easier to recycle. Sure, it would increase overhead and raise prices but it would also keep costs down due to competition. It would also make recycling more acceptable and accessible.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in