Ontario to introduce new tax on computers and televisions - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 2008-07-15, 01:20 PM

As much as I am in favour of reducing what goes into the landfill, I somehow get the impression that we are having the wool pulled over our eyes. When the Blue Box business started, that made sense and we appeared to be on our way to saving the environment at least from the point of view of reducing what went into the landfill. But now it has grown to where the refuse and recycling articles being collected are no longer processed on a local basis but in the case of where I live everything is shipped to a facility in Hamilton.

That got me to thinking. Whereas before, I for instance could avail myself of the composted material for the garden, I could but never did and will never get the chance for that apparently is no longer available to me. I then concluded that here we are collecting and sorting all our refuse and it is being shipped off somewhere, where no doubt it is either processed or shipped elsewhere to be further processed into material or products that must eventually end up on the market for sale to the public, otherwise why go to the trouble ?

I realise there are environmental advantages to be gained from recycling and reprocessing, but if someone is running a profitable enterprise from the raw materials we have all collectively provided, then the so-called 'free enterprise' system has been surreptitiously corrupted all under the guise of a 'green environment'.

Now this would be more palatable if these entrepreneurs remitted a fair share of their profits towards our residential tax burden in payment as it were for the raw materials provided, but I have so far seen no mention by any local authorities to explain that this is part and parcel of the modus operandi behind this part of the 'green movement'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 2008-07-15, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Like many others here, I agree in principle, however, the fact that the details have not been specified by the government makes me skeptical.

It does seem the best way would be to have folks put this stuff in their recycling bin. Actual recycling rates would likely be far higher and that is the goal isn't it?

post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 2008-07-15, 03:27 PM

there is gst on the alberta recycling fee.

yes, thats right, you pay tax on a tax. hurray!

post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 2008-07-15, 04:02 PM
tsa

No, first you have to pay income tax then add the recycle tax and finally the 13% sale tax in Ontario.
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 2008-07-15, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgauci View Post
Just another tax from the Liberals! This will do nothing concrete in real terms to make people recycle their electronics. If you want to make a real difference, make the fee refundable. I'll pay the fee, but when I bring back the said electronics, I should get the recycle fee back. Otherwise, most people will feel that they already paid the levy and did their part and just chuck it into the garbage. How many people will really run across town to a recycling depot to dispose of a single used cell phone or computer drive when they upgrade. You want people to recycle electronics, let me put them out in my recylce bins and it can be sorted in the sorting centre like the rest of the recycled materials.
You're preaching to the choir here wgauci and I couldn't agree more.

Here in Nova Scotia, the provincial gangsters, I mean government started charging an environmental handling fee (EHF) on February 1, 2008 for all CPUs, laptops, monitors, televisions and printers either sold in Nova Scotia or shipped into Nova Scotia. Here's a breakdown of the costs so far:

DESKTOP COMPUTERS – $10 EHF
Includes Central Processing Units (CPUs), mice, keyboards, cables and other components within the computer. This includes desktop computers, desktop computers acting as servers, and all associated keyboards and cabling.

MONITORS – $12 EHF
A display device used for displaying images from computers or other sources that does not meet the definition of a television. This includes traditional Cathode Ray Tube (CRT) and all flat panel display technologies such as LCD and plasma.

NOTEBOOK COMPUTERS – $5 EHF
Includes portable computers such as notebook, laptop and tablet PCs.

DESKTOP PRINTERS – $8 EHF
This includes printing devices that are designed to reside on a work surface, and includes various printing technologies, including Laser & LED (electrophotographic), ink jet, dot matrix, thermal, dye sublimation and “multifunction” devices that may copy, scan, fax, or print.

TELEVISIONS – $15 - $45 EHF
A video display device with an imbedded television tuner.This includes various display technologies, such as traditional Cathode Ray Tube (CRT), flat panel (LCD and plasma) or rear projection.

* 18" or less - $15
* 19" to 29" - $25
* 30" to 45" - $30
* 46" and up - $45

And yes, the HST (13% in NS) is charged on top of this. However, being the frugal type I am, I waited until the HST was reduced on January 1 and then went and purchased a new computer, monitor, printer and TV before the EHF came into effect. If I happen to get a tip that they're going to start charging this on toasters and coffee makers in the future, I guess I'll be making a trip to Wal-Mart too.
post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 2008-07-15, 07:06 PM

Cool

Quote:
I somehow get the impression that we are having the wool pulled over our eyes.
Most definitely. Recycling should be legislated at the provincial or federal level and financed at the local or industry level. Once money is collected at a high government level, corruption sets in due to the amount of money involved. Either the money gets siphoned off for other uses by the government or it gets siphoned off by corrupt leeches with government connections. OTOH, with today's government lobby system, corruption also occurs at the legislative level but at least it is reduced. The income tax was originally implemented as a temporary measure to pay for WW1. Look where we are now.
post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 2008-07-16, 10:28 AM
Veteran

Alberta's Electronic Recycling Program and Fees

DHC members might find this interesting for comparison purposes. Taken from the Alberta Recycling Website (Link at the bottom)

Televisions and computer equipment that pose the greatest risk to the environment and represent the greatest amount of electronic waste discarded by Albertans were the first products to be included in the electronics recycling program.

Eligible products
See below for the list of designated electronics currently accepted at no charge for recycling at the more than 220 collection sites across Alberta.
With increasing advances in technology and new products being introduced into the marketplace every year, the need for new ways to recycle electronic waste and the need to add more eligible products to the program is going to continue to grow.

Televisions -These products include a television tuner, or a device that can operate as both a computer monitor and television. Combinations that operate as both a television and a CPU will be charged two environmental fees at the time of purchase for the Television component of the device and the CPU.
CPUs -The device that is the central processing unit of the computer.
Keyboard, mouse, cables and/or speakers
Monitors -These devices have built in components necessary to operate as a computer monitor and they do not come within the definition of a television as noted above. All-in-one combinations of monitor and CPU will be charged two environmental fees at the time of purchase for the monitor and the CPU.
Printers -Includes desktop printers, multi-function printer copiers, printer/fax copier combinations. Environmental fee will not be charged at the time of purchase for handheld devices that have a printing function such as label makers and calculators, or printers which weigh more than 1,000 kilograms.
Laptops & notebooks -Portable computers that includes the combination of both the CPU, monitor and keyboard all in one package. Only one environmental fee will be charged at the time of purchase.

Environmental fees
Environmental fees are collected on the sale of new eligible electronics in Alberta.
These fees are used to:Collect, transport and recycle unwanted electronics,
Develop research into new recycling technologies, and Build awareness and support for the electronics recycling programs.

Televisions
18-inch screen and smaller: $15
19-inch to 29-inch screen: $25
30-inch to 45-inch screen: $30
46-inch and larger screen: $45
Computer Equipment
Computer monitors (LCD and CRT): $12
CPUs and servers (also covers recycling of keyboard, mouse, cables, and speakers): $10
Printer/printer combinations: $8
Laptop and notebook computers: $5

http://www.albertarecycling.ca/Basic...a8bf_8_14_80_2
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 2008-07-16, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuuk View Post
DHC members might find this interesting for comparison purposes. Taken from the Alberta Recycling Website (Link at the bottom)[/url]
It looks the Nova Scotia bureaucrats borrowed the notes from their Alberta counterparts and implemented the exact same fees. (Except of course you guys only have to pay 5% GST on top of them while we have to pay 13% HST.)

I didn't see any mention of these fees charged for products shipped to Alberta though. Do you know if it they get added in such situations?
post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 2008-07-19, 07:59 PM

Hello, kinda new to the forum but I'd like to offer my opinion on this issue.

I used to work for an organization called Computers for Schools. We took in donated computer equipment for refurbishment and placement in local schools. This was around the time the EHF was introduced.

Prior to the EHF, people had to pay the local recyclers to get rid of computers, monitors, etc.. so instead of it getting recycled, people tossed them into the garbage because they didn't want to pay the fees.

I now work in computer retail where we collect the EHF on equipment we sell. Because people are now paying the fee up front, there is a network of collection points that take the equipment with no charge at the time of disposal. This helps more people to recycle their old equipment instead of just throwing it away.

Keep in mind that older equipment that never had the fee paid is still eligible for free recycling under the new program.

An extra $22 on a thousand dollar computer system really isn't that much when you think about how much stuff will now be recycled properly.

Unlike BC's "revenue neutral" carbon tax that will NOT be used to fund clean energy exploration, help big polluters clean up their emissions, etc... the EHF is funding a network of collection points and recyclers to proactively do something about the amount of toxic materials in electronic equipment that leech into the environment.

I personally don't think carbon is the massive problem we make it out to be. There is a LOT that needs to be done about ground level pollution and waste too.
post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 2009-05-12, 01:15 PM

I blissfully bought a $170 printer this weekend, and on the bill is an "Environmental Handling Fee" for $5.05. What the h double ll is that for I asked and the retailer is quick to point out that it is the province of Ontario fee.

I just love how the government wraps it in green, calls it a "fee" and pretends it isn't just a new tax. When I hear that the EHF is put in to a separate account and is only used for specific enviro handling I may not be as p'oed.

Panasonic TH-42PX60U, Harmony 670, Rogers HD 8300, 3250HD, Denon AVR-591, Chartwell SL3-5A, Venturer SHD-7000, Samsung 1600 BR.
post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 2009-05-12, 01:53 PM

The fee is administered by the OES, Ontario Electronic Stewardship and it is my understanding that this does not go into general coffers. It is to fund the diversion of electronic waste from the landfill. If you go to the OES site you can download copious material on what they expect to collect and where the funds will go. Their start costs I thought were eye opening - prepare to have your ire raised. And just to raise your ire further it is taxable both provincially and federally as the fee becomes part of the real value of the product. Just passing on what I know because we are passing it on to our customers.

LONSat
post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 2009-05-12, 02:01 PM

>>>TAXING = GREEN !<<<

The nice thing about a green tax is that it relieves me from having to worry about how to dispose of the item. Having paid the tax, I can just toss it out without worrying about its effect on the environment.
post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 2009-05-12, 02:44 PM

On top of that here is what they are doing in Ottawa.

The City of Ottawa is hosting a one-day electronic-waste collection depot from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday, May 16. Items collected will be completely recycled, preventing the hazardous substances contained in some of these items from harming the environment and ensuring they are diverted from landfills.

The depot is being held at the Robert O. Pickard Environmental Centre Technical Services Building, 655 Shefford Road (end of Shefford Road), north of Highway 174, west of the Montreal Road exit.

Electronic-waste includes old personal computers, monitors, printers, keyboards and computer mice. Other electronic-waste, including TVs, VCRs, DVD players, video game systems and cell phones can also be dropped off. These items will be recycled at a small cost to residents – $2 apiece for most items, $10 for monitors and $15 for TV sets. No charge for PCs.

And as stated the charge is per piece. So you pay at the checkout and then again to get it recycled. I'm surprised the Feds don't demand the GST on top and maybe the Prov. could also add the PST to boost their tax base as well.
post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 2009-05-12, 04:37 PM

I can pollute the environment if I pay money? Big businesses/governments answers to climate change.
If I buy a product why can't I pay the manufacturer to take the product back? Why doesn't the manufacturer assume responsibility also? I'd bet auto makers wouldn't be in the shape they are in if they had to take back their vehicles. As a manufacturer I'd make a better product if I were responsible for the proper recycling of my defunct product. It would probably rid us of the problem of built in obsolescence.
post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 2009-05-13, 10:43 AM

Quote:
The City of Ottawa is hosting a one-day electronic-waste collection depot ......
Electronic-waste includes old personal computers, monitors, printers, keyboards and computer mice. Other electronic-waste, including TVs, VCRs, DVD players, video game systems and cell phones can also be dropped off. These items will be recycled at a small cost to residents – $2 apiece for most items, $10 for monitors and $15 for TV sets. No charge for PCs.
This is not a "small cost". For the electronic junkie with a few boxes, or a room with a bunch of old stuff, this will get expensive. Instead, they can just put it out to the curb and have it taken away at no extra cost. Ideally it is much better to have it recycled, but with the cost per item it gives big incentive for a lot of people to just ditch the stuff.

My favourite way of recycling is to post a "free" giveaway on a local forsale board.

Panasonic TH-42PX60U, Harmony 670, Rogers HD 8300, 3250HD, Denon AVR-591, Chartwell SL3-5A, Venturer SHD-7000, Samsung 1600 BR.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in