Intermittent "LAN Cable disconnected" Errors - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-05-19, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Intermittent "LAN Cable disconnected" Errors

I am consistently, but intermittently, getting the little pop-up window on the task bar with this error (or something very similar if I didn't get it precise). Within seconds it seems to reset OK. Generally it's not a big deal but it's killing my 30 day free trial of Lord of the Rings Online!!! :-)

I'm running Windows XP SP2 on a Dell 8300 machine and use a D-Link DI-624 router to connect to the Internet. There are a couple of other computers (ME and Windows 98) on the network, as well as a Wii and PS3. Only the game machines use wireless.

I have searched and read many posts on the web. It seems to be a fairly common problem. Most indicated changing settings on the D-Link router. I have made all these changes. I have also updated the drivers to the NIC in the machine and tried a couple of different cable and a couple of different ports on the router.

Some of the posts seem to lay the blame on the NIC or XP. Others blame the router, although some have had the same problem on more than one router.

Anyone have any insights?

Thanks for anything you can offer.

Up - 51H83/HTR-5550/Point 5/RP-62/6208-HD
Down - 50PHD8UK/HTR-5840S/Micra 6/DVD-S77/6412-PVR
My DVD Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-05-19, 10:55 PM
Veteran

So this only happens to the Dell 8300 machine? I'm assuming this isn't a particularly long cable (100+ ft)? And it's not running over something that would cause a lot of electromagnetic interference. And you've tried different ports on the router and different cables. That pretty much narrows it down to the machine.

I wouldn't blame XP, this is more of an ethernet physical layer problem. First thing I'd try is go into the adapter properties and set the ethernet speed... instead of Auto try a fixed speed like 10 Mbps half duplex, in case the ethernet auto-sensing is getting confused.

If that doesn't fix it, I'd buy a new ethernet card for the PC (they're cheap) and slap it into an empty slot. That should fix it once and for all.

Mike / technut
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-05-20, 02:42 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. I think I've done it now.....meaning I likely need a new card.

I tried a few things (turning it off in bios, uninstalling drivers, downloading new drivers, uninstalling from the device manager, manually adding the hardware from a list, etc.).

Now, if the adapter shows up at all in Device Manager, I get a "Code 10 Device cannot start" error.

Also, if I uninstall the drivers and the hardware (from the device manager) and let Windows detect new hardware, it only detects the "hardware" for the Intel Pro/100 VE Network Connection. It doesn't detect and add the Intel Pro/100 VE Desktop Adapter. When I try to add the adapter manually using Add Hardware and a downloaded driver, I end up back at the Code 10 error.

I suspect the card may not be as dead as it appears. It is likely something that I'm doing. I'm hoping that a new card with a make this all go away (both the Code 10 and the "network cable unplugged" error).

My DVD Collection

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-05-21, 03:52 AM

If it's a card/ Unplug and plug it in again.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-05-21, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

It's actually a built-in connection, not a card. However, I bought a new card and a new router yesterday to try out. I installed the new card but within a few minutes, I had the same problem (I didn't see the pop-up but I was playing Lord of the Rings Online and it disconnected, they way it always had).

So I left the new card in but changed to the new router. I've only played for a couple of hours but so far, so good with no disconnections and no pop-up messages. I'll report back if I learn anything more.

Thanks.

My DVD Collection
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-05-23, 01:34 PM

I had the exact same problem with a DI-624 router a couple of years ago. The router seemed to be rebooting itself at random, causing the disconnect/reconnect. Replaced the 624 with a DIR-655 and life's good
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-05-23, 01:53 PM
Veteran

You could be right, but router reboots would also effect his other 4 devices. He said this was only a problem on the Dell. Guess he just never noticed it on any of the other machines.

Mike / technut
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-05-25, 04:17 AM Thread Starter

You're right that I only noticed it on the one machine. However, the other computer uses Windows ME, which I don't think has the same pop-up message. The other two devices on the network are the Wii and the PS3. The PS3 did suffer from occasional drop-outs, although I always thought it was the weak wireless signal (it seems to vary between 25% and 50%). I'll have to watch the PS3 to see if it has stopped "signing out" on occasion.

It does appear that the new router has fixed the problem. I've played LOTRO for more hous than I should have in the last few days and there hasn't been a single disconnect.

There did seem to be some anecdotal evidence on the Internet that this was a possible problem with the DI-624 router.

FS dropped the price $20 a couple of days after I got it, so I ended up wth not a bad deal.

Thanks for the comments.

My DVD Collection

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in