2nd Router? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-05-11, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

2nd Router?

Hey all, hope ppl are having a great weekend.

I have a question about hooking up devices in my hometheater to my wireless network based upstairs. Some of them (receiver, Xbox) are only able to connect through a an ethernet connection. Is there some way of connecting the ethernet cables to a usb internet device so they can log into the home network? The only thing I can think of is implementing a second router although I'm not really sure how I would do that and if it would connect to the home network?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
TIA,

DHBoogieman

Panasonic PT-AX200 | 92'' HD gray screen | Pioneer Elite VSX-94TXH | Pioneer Elite DVD DV58AV | PS1/PS3 / Xbox | Video Acoustics Speakers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-05-11, 10:49 AM

You can buy dedicated ethernet to wifi adapters.. (They're also called wireless bridges). Just google for 'ethernet to wifi'. I've never used one so I can't comment on their effectiveness.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-05-11, 12:49 PM
Veteran

Ethernet-to-WiFi adapters often only support one device.

If you need multiple ethernet ports in the HT area then buy a second router that supports WDS (Wireless Distribution System). It will wirelessly extend your existing network to the second router, and then you can plug your various HT devices into the LAN ports on the second router.

The only catch is that your first router must also support WDS, and be interoperable with your second router (there are some issues with mixing brands). So check the specs on your first router and if it supports WDS then buy another router from the same company. You may also have to use WEP if your routers don't support WDS with WPA.

Mike / technut

Last edited by technut; 2008-05-11 at 01:11 PM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-05-13, 01:23 PM

Another option would be to use the Ethernet over Powerline options? That would yield a RJ45 port near your HT and from there you do what you want like simply add a switch to connect multiple devices. I've been using a pair of ZyXEL PL-100 (85mbps) with a cheap switch for a while here for that exact purpose. There are faster speeds available.. but for my purpose (streaming + connectivity), that fast enough.

Just throwing it out there as an alternative option.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-05-13, 01:57 PM
Member #1

To the OP,

Can you run ethernet to your home theatre?

If yes, the best thing is to run an ethernet cable from your router to an ethernet switch beside your home theatre and then plug everything into the switch.

Typically, a wired connection is much faster and more reliable than a wireless connection

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-05-13, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
To the OP,

Can you run ethernet to your home theatre?

If yes, the best thing is to run an ethernet cable from your router to an ethernet switch beside your home theatre and then plug everything into the switch.

Typically, a wired connection is much faster and more reliable than a wireless connection
I wish I could but my only option is wireless. The wiring and hometheater are finished. So many devices now-a-days for home theater / gaming want internet but only offer you ethernet input. Thanks for all the great advice and replies. Very much appreciated.

DHBoogieman

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in