ASUS EEE discussions (all models) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-01-16, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

ASUS EEE discussions (all models)

I own both a laptop and desktop, but I am currently looking for something to travel with and will not get damaged, I walk alot and with books, currently going to school and my laptop would get damaged. I seen this eee pc, made by Asus, and I had a question if anyone has the answer.
1. It comes with software that you can write and use spreadsheets, both would I be able to read, write and switch with my desktop that runs word and excel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-01-16, 12:13 PM

You could transfer the files to your desktop using a usb stick (or e-mail). The EEE pc runs Open office on a linux operating system. With open office you can save files under the .doc name (just like ms office).
Absolutely no problem there.

IF you want to, you can also take word files from your desktop and transfer them to your eee notebook (open office will open word files, and can save them as open office files, or as ms office files).

Even if you accidentally saved a file in the open office format, I think you can just right click and change the extension to .doc, and it would automatically change it to an ms office file.

Sharp 46" Aquos 1080p (LC46D62U). Shaw Motorola 6416 III PVR. Pioneer HTP-2800 Surround Sound. PS3 & Wii.
post #3 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-01-16, 08:16 PM

At one point in time, OpenOffice's version of Excel did not run Excel macros. If you use macros in Excel, you may want to check that first.

Or you could wait for this:

http://www.realtechnews.com/posts/5264

Congo

Panny TC-P60GT50, Vizio SB3651-E6 Soundbar, Harmony One, Android Box

Last edited by congo; 2008-01-16 at 08:29 PM.

post #4 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-01-16, 08:17 PM
Veteran

If you don't like the all-in-one approach. you could use separate stand-alone apps. Gnumeric (spreadsheet) and AbiWord (word processor)

OTA brings you crystal-clear, uncompressed HDTV, no simsubbing, and the real SuperBowl commercials. You can't get all that on satellite... OR CABLE.
post #5 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-01-19, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

eee pc question

I wanted to know if I brought a 2gb eee pc, instead of the 4 and then placed a 4gb sd card into it. Would I be able to install xp or other apps on the sd and work it off of the computer?
post #6 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-01-20, 09:01 PM

I cannot give any details on how it was done but I have seen a eee running xp. It was running the web browser fine.
post #7 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-01-20, 11:52 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfieblue View Post
I wanted to know if I brought a 2gb eee pc, instead of the 4 and then placed a 4gb sd card into it. Would I be able to install xp or other apps on the sd and work it off of the computer?
Given that chunks of XP, and quite a few apps, MUST install on C:, I doubt that would work. If it did, MS would already have XP functional on the OLPC (One Laptop Per Child).

OTA brings you crystal-clear, uncompressed HDTV, no simsubbing, and the real SuperBowl commercials. You can't get all that on satellite... OR CABLE.
post #8 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-01-21, 09:11 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuvhandles View Post
You could transfer the files to your desktop using a usb stick (or e-mail). The EEE pc runs Open office on a linux operating system. With open office you can save files under the .doc name (just like ms office).
I work on three computers, and move my files around on a USB memory stick.

However - soon after I started this, I found that the USB memory stick was not a transport device. It becomes the home for the documents, with all editing done to them on the memory stick.

The contents of the USB memory stick are copied to each computer, but that is for backup purposes - USB memory sticks can fail, and they can get lost.
post #9 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-01-21, 09:18 AM
Veteran

Installing XP on 4GB is hard enough (I couldn't install a streamlined SP2 on a 3.2 GB HDD).
post #10 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-03-03, 08:53 PM
Veteran

ASUS EEE with 8.9 inch screen at Cebit 2008

No, it's NOT a rumour. The official press conference is Tuesday March 4, but it's actually being shown at The Cebit 2008 show. Engadget has a couple of stories and lots of photos at http://www.engadget.com/tag/Cebit2008/ Boy, am I glad I delayed buying the 7-incher.

post #11 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-03-04, 12:54 AM
Veteran

These EEEs are interesting and something I may be in the market for.

I want something bigger than a Palm device but I don't need a full fledged laptop. These seem to fit the bill.
post #12 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-03-04, 08:10 AM

That might replace MyPal 710 pocket pc.

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #13 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-03-09, 11:30 PM
Veteran

More information:

The 8.9" units will start at $499 with an 8GB SSD model running Windows XP. There will also be either a 12GB or a 20GB model with Xandros Linux (apparently they're still looking into that one). For now they will use the same Intel Celeron M 900MHz CPU, but in the next few months they'll adopt Intel's new "Atom" processor. This new chip will enable much longer battery life (ASUS is hoping for up to 8 hours).

HERE is a good interview over at LAPTOP magazine about what ASUS is looking into with the EeePC line.
post #14 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-03-10, 12:50 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

Exclamation It is perfect as is, so no need for another OS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGY11
The 8.9" units will start at $499 with an 8GB SSD model running Windows XP.
The whole point of these cheap, dependable ASUS EEE laptop computers is to have fast, secure, cheap Internet access with no bugs, viruses, adware, spyware, or other such crap.

Why anyone would buy one with XP or put XP on one is a complete and utter mystery to me when all the Linux apps on it work perfectly, are very user-friendly requiring no knowledge of any computer OSes, cost you nothing extra, don't require anti-virus or security software, and are infinitely safer for Internet use.

http://eeepc.asus.com/global/product.htm

If you feel that there are certain Windows programs you need to run on one of these laptops, you're missing the whole point and should go buy a full featured laptop running Vista.

post #15 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-03-10, 01:54 AM

Wow - I would never buy one with Windows XP on it. I totally agree Stampeder.

I am actually going to buy a Linux one for my 65 year old dad - he just needs an easy way to check stocks, plan fishing, trekking and hunting trips, answer email and manage his pictures (he is an accomplished film photographer and outdoor enthusiast)....

He does not need to mess around with Windows and the relentless stream of critical updates.

42" Panasonic Plasma / 20" LG LCD HDTV / Motorola DCT 6412p2 / Motorola 6200 / Shaw HD Digital Cable, Phone, Internet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in