ASUS EEE discussions (all models) - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-07-05, 12:58 AM
Veteran

You might want to qualify your review to make it clear that your perspective is for people with a Windows background. I agree that linux is definitely NOT for everyone, but your statement that
Quote:
And as far as media playback under Linux is concerned, it's STILL a complete mess after all this time! I'm currently working on launching a Canadian television channel which will distribute its programming on the Internet via BitTorrent. So for me, a computer's ability to play back just about any video material out there is CRITICAL! And Linux simply doesn't cut it!
is a complete falsehood. It is your lack of familiarity and knowledge that makes it so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-07-05, 02:39 AM
Veteran

So which Linux based media player should I use that'll fully support DivX, XviD, H.264, OGM, QT, RM, WMV, MPEG, Huffyuv, and DV/HDV along with full support for .SRT, .ASS and .SSA subtitle track formats, and play as well or better than the Windows equivalent in a single downloadable package?

Or to put it another way, where can I find Zoom Player for Linux?
post #78 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-07-05, 11:39 AM
Veteran

There isn't a linux equivalent for what you are looking for. Stick with Windows for your needs. Both Windows and linux have their areas where they are better than the other. For your specific requirements, clearly Windows is better.

On a side note, what do you use huffyuv for? That is the only one that I can't seem to find a linux player for. I have never heard of huffyuv until you mentioned it. From what I can find, it hasn't even been updated since 2002!

post #79 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-07-05, 12:24 PM
Veteran

I'd like to buy an EeePC but I'll need the WindowsXP OC installed. Which version should I get? I'm going to be using the following programs:

MS Office
MS Publisher
Nero 7
InDesign
Photoshop CS3 (and definitely 2 Gb of RAM needed).

THX, ISF, Control4 Certified Professional; CEDIA Certified Instructor; CEDIA Certified Designer
post #80 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-07-05, 12:26 PM
Veteran

Huffyuv is an older codec I once used years ago to record TV shows with Dscaler and my WinTV card. It's a near-lossless codec with incredibly low CPU usage, but which consumed a lot of HD space. It was the only codec I could use back then to record a TV show in real-time without killing the computer.

The problem with Linux is not necessarily with the players. Even under Windows, Zoom Player is but a single player amongst many which connect directly to the DirectShow filters that do all the decoding work. The main problem with Linux is that none of the video infrastructure is anywhere near the quality level of what's available under Windows. Even the VLC player had trouble with high definition material on more powerful computers where the Windows software ran flawlessly on the same machines.

The only way I'll understand what's happening in the Linux environment is by comparing the source code on both operating systems. Afterwards, I may be able to create the kind of player I'll need for my TV station since it'll become part of the automated broadcast system, which is why I need support for all of those video formats. Since my television channel will be a public access channel, I'll be receiving material in a wide varierty of formats, all suitable for television broadcast. It'll be a lot easier for me to feed the existing material in the broadcast chain than convert everything to the same format, degrading the image quality in the process.

I really want Linux to work out in this field. All the improvements we've seen over the years haven't altered the basic functionality of the operating system one bit, making even very old software just as reliable today as the day it was released. A single Windows upgrade however can easily break critical software components, which is the last thing I need on such a mission critical installation.

The last thing I want the audience to see is a BSOD.
post #81 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-07-05, 01:43 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post
I'd like to buy an EeePC but I'll need the WindowsXP OC installed. Which version should I get? I'm going to be using the following programs:

MS Office
MS Publisher
Nero 7
InDesign
What sort of timeframe are you looking at? The reason I ask, is that all of the major players have announced their upcoming lineups of these netbook/umpcs, and there should be a nice competitive environment for us consumers. Some are just starting to trickle down to the market, but if you can wait until late this year, you should have quite a selection, and prices are sure to come down. Asus has 4 more models coming out, MSI Wind, Dell, HP, etc. Unless you are in a huge rush to buy, I would wait to see how things play out.
post #82 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-07-05, 02:47 PM
Veteran

I have no particular timeframe. Currently I'm using a Dell lowest-end laptop with 2 Gb of RAM and I'm happy with the speed ($600 shipped, taxes in, bought in November '07). The only problem is that it has 15.4" screen. If it has 14" or less and NOT glossy, I'm happy. All PC in my price range seems to only have glossy screen which is stupid, IMO.

THX, ISF, Control4 Certified Professional; CEDIA Certified Instructor; CEDIA Certified Designer
post #83 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-07-05, 03:15 PM
Veteran

I would recommend you wait then and see how things play out. One thing I would point out to you given your background (photography) and your listed program requirements, I personally don't think any of the current crop of eee PC's would be a great choice for you. I know there are a number of photographers that use these programs on the eee PC, but personally, I find that the screen is just not high enough quality to do any serious photo work. The colours change too much depending on your viewing angle. It is so sensitive that at any one time, you will see a slight colour/contrast gradient from top to bottom, which changes if you raise or lower your eyes slightly.
post #84 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-07-27, 12:38 AM
Veteran

Location: Downtown Toronto • Toshiba 52XL177 • HD DVD Toshiba • Rogers HDPVR Cisco 8642
I've been watching this ASUS eeepc product develop since last year when it was first announced as "shipping soon". At CES2008 in Las Vegas in early January, I had several spontaneous adhoc discussions about it.

But I live in Canada and the "$300" price point didn't quite materialize here. Also, the Linux-only option in the the early editions were not dal breakers but they did make me pause. For "$200", well, what the heck? But at double that in stores ... hmmmmmmm.

I have a single use for a laptop like this: travel. Under a 1 kilo; does wifi out of the box; can use an Internet browser; might be able to back up photos from a digital camera; "disposable" price; holds out the promise of adding a few familiar Windows apps ... I'm in.

The Linux thing (and Canadian MSRP) was enough to put me on the sidelines. But now I am seeing the Windows XP 12 GB edition for $450 locally. For an all solid state, very lighteight, Windows notebook strictly for travelling ... now we're talking.

Anyone have any recent updates? Especially longer term users?
post #85 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-07-27, 12:46 AM
Veteran

The $450 price tag is for which specific model? And would you know its battery capacity? This is important because if the battery is less than 5800mah for the 900 series, your overall battery life will be seriously reduced.

Also, if you can wait a couple of months, there are new netbook models coming out all the time. You might find something at a price point that agrees with you, and has all the features that you want.
post #86 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-07-27, 09:37 AM
Veteran

Lack of memory makes it tough to add some practical programs. But, with the minimum installed, and by playing with how XP manages memory, you can get it to do what you need. I wish it had Bluetooth, though. And a touchscreen would be a nice touch.
post #87 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-07-27, 12:21 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by asif9t9 View Post
Lack of memory makes it tough to add some practical programs. But, with the minimum installed, and by playing with how XP manages memory, you can get it to do what you need. I wish it had Bluetooth, though. And a touchscreen would be a nice touch.
Lack of memory? What are you using this NETBOOK for anyways? Also, dime-sized bluetooth dongles can be purchased for less than 10 bucks.
post #88 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-07-27, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

MS Office
MS Publisher
Nero 7
InDesign
Well I finally got my wife a NetBook but I ended up getting an MSI Wind instead of an EeePC. I bought it from Staples Business Depot for 530. It runs XP and surprisingly, the Hyperthreaded Atom Processor is more than adequate to run Office 2007 (60 day trial version is pre-loaded), streaming video from my Slingbox PRO, Adobe Photoshop CS2, and Firefox 3.01. I connected it to an external 24 in monitor and it had no problems running apps in dual screen mode (1920 x 1200 on the 24" and 1024 x 600 on the LED backlit screen).

RAM is upgradeable to 2 GB and it has Bluetooth built in which I used to connect a Logitech Bluetooth Mouse (V470) and a Motorolla Bluetooth headphone (MotoRokr S9).

The only caveat are that the Wind sold at Staples have the Bilingual keyboard... some folks don't like this but me and my wife can live with it; and the battery is only 3 cells which is good for about 2 hours of non-heavy duty use. I managed to get about 2.5 hours after manually underclocking the processor... you could do this when the Wind is in battery power by pressing FN+F10.
post #89 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-07-27, 04:11 PM
rpr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
But I live in Canada and the "$300" price point didn't quite materialize here. Also, the Linux-only option in the the early editions were not dal breakers but they did make me pause. For "$200", well, what the heck? But at double that in stores ... hmmmmmmm.
I paid $299 (plus tax) for the first Eee I bought at Canada Computers, so I'm not sure why you feel that the $300 price point didn't materialize. Of course that is the base 2G Surf model, but still they were available at that price point.

Tom
post #90 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-07-28, 11:20 AM
Veteran

You would get touch screen for less than $600, and likely not as an option in this class of product, although you can add aftermarket touch screen sensors, if you are up to it. When you are at it, you can build in Bluetooth and other things.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in