ASUS EEE discussions (all models) - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-05-19, 01:01 AM
Veteran

I had thought the same thing, but until you actual see and try one of these eee PC's, you have no idea how much more portable they are, even than a 13" laptop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-05-19, 06:35 AM
Veteran

Quote:
I had thought the same thing, but until you actual see and try one of these eee PC's, you have no idea how much more portable they are, even than a 13" laptop.
This sums it up perfectly.

As an example here: I had just gotten a new wireless router, and was trying to optimize the signal strength for some of the other laptops in the house. I simply logged into my router's configuration page from the EeePC, and then monitored the signal strength on all wireless clients as I re-oriented the antennas to provide the best reception. Considering the cramped spaces of my networking "closet" the EeePC proved to be very useful here.

Another case was when I just had to check some information online quickly. Rather than pull out a big laptop and wait a minute for it to boot up, I simply logged in with the EeePC in about 20 seconds (from a fully-powered down state). It was just convenient for me (and this kind of task really doesn't need a Core 2 Duo processor to do).

For me, it's the little things like this that have made my purchase of the EeePC worth it. Before I had seen one in person though, I felt the same way as David did. The truth is, you cannot directly compare this on price alone -- portability plays a huge role. If you want an ultra-portable notebook (that would still be bigger than the EeePC), you'll pay a premium for it.

That said, the EeePC is not for everybody. If you need maximum performance, the EeePC is certainly not the computer for you.

Oh, and for those who don't care for Linux and think that the machine would be underpowered to run Windows XP, I have a solution: install Windows 2000 on it. That's what I have on there now, and it's extremely fast (not surprising, since Windows 2000 "recommends" a 366MHz CPU and 96-128MB of RAM).
post #63 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-05-19, 09:26 AM

I myself will be getting the new eeepc when it becomes available here... the Linux version with 20 GB total storage capacity but I will be installing XP on it. For me, the primary reason I am getting one is because it has no hard drive. This means I can use it on the garage in the winter to watch streamed videos (Spinervals, etc.) while I ride my trainer. I used the laptop for this last winter until the hard disk started making high pitched noises.

post #64 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-06-06, 01:24 PM
Veteran

Well, I broke down and ordered a black 20G 900 eee PC from excaliberpc. It has been accepted by USPS in San Jose, so we'll see how long it takes. Sometimes, my impatience can cost me! Of course the day after I order it, all of the new models from Asus and others are announced at Computex.
post #65 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-06-08, 02:11 PM

I could see myself get a new one before the end of this year. Really useful to show pictures to friends on the road or search for info when sipping a coffee after a long bike ride.

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #66 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-06-08, 02:34 PM
Veteran

If you aren't in a rush, you may as well wait at least a month to see how everything shakes out in the netbook class of computers. The Computex trade show is just finishing up, and virtually every company is making a similar product to the eee PC, with Dell, HP, Acer, and MSI appearing to be the main competitors. This should bring the prices down a bit. Each one has it's own pros and cons depending on your needs. ie. regular HD vs Solid State drives, XP vs linux, screen sizes, keyboard layout, battery life, cpu (Celeron vs Atom vs Via), colour, bluetooth, gps, etc.
post #67 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-06-08, 08:58 PM

Technically, ASUS has opened a new market for small but very useful portable. Like you say, if these companies are coming on board with their own small version of this market, chances are there will be a price war. This in fact will be good for us. Kinda looks like when VIA came out with their tiny 6 inches by 6 inches motherboard, the mini-itx. It wasn't long after when other companies wanted to build micro-micro computers.

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #68 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-06-08, 11:06 PM
Veteran

There have been other computers in this size factor before, but ASUS brought one in at a new low price point and that is what created renewed interest in the size. Good to hear there will be more to choose from.

Mike / technut
post #69 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-06-12, 05:42 PM
Veteran

Well, I received my new toy this morning. Pretty slick little unit. I'll try to use it as is for a week or so before I start trying different linux OS's on it.
post #70 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-06-19, 04:33 PM
Veteran

Well, it has been a week now, and I must say that I really like this unit (the 900). I do like my toys, but this one is better than I ever could have expected. I actually ended up leaving the default Xandros installed because it boots up so darn fast - about 15 seconds. I have also just installed Ubuntu onto a cheap 16 GB SDHC card for kicks.

This thing rocks!!!
post #71 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-06-24, 10:10 AM
Veteran

I just purchased a 900 myself (Linux model) and will post a review of the unit on YouTube once I've had a chance to try out different operaring systems on it.

What I can say for now is that I'm not a big fan of the default Xandros OS. I haven't figured out yet how to install my own software on it. I want the GIMP, VLC Media Player, OpenOffice.org 2.4 (Xandros only has 2.0)...

Luckily, there's a group out there that created an Ubuntu distro which includes all the drivers for the EEE PC. This way you don't have to hunt them down and install them yourself. I'll be evaluating it in my review. http://www.ubuntu-eee.com

I can understand the dilemna Asus had with the XP option. If they used the same 20GB model for the XP install, the street price for the 900 would easily reach $650, putting it at the same price point as regular sized bargain notebooks which usually have more power, more memory, more HD space, a bigger screen size, and an optical drive.

If you do want the 20GB model with XP however, you can still get it. Buy the Linux model, then buy an OEM copy of XP. I've already confirmed that Xp Pro and the Asus drivers will easily fit on the 4 GB drive, with 1 GB of HD space to spare -- at least until the incessant Windows update files start gobbling up all the free space!
post #72 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-06-24, 10:27 AM

I have nlited XP on my EEPC and have over 3 gb of space left. I used the CDHC 16GB card for my program files directory. It works perfectly and really like this little machine. Easy to handle and I bring it anywhere with me.

post #73 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-07-03, 06:37 PM
Veteran

I've just posted a video review of the EEE PC 900. Not all of you are going to like it...
post #74 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-07-03, 09:11 PM
Veteran

A fairly decent review for the most part, although it definitely seems to show a strong bias towards W2000. You mention how "with tweaks" you can achieve certain performance levels with W2000, which suggests that this can not be achieved by tweaking other OS's. Perhaps you just don't know how to tweak the other OS's as proficiently?

Also, there were a few outright errors regarding the default Xandros system. You are NOT "disconnected from the underlying OS like a PDA" You still can easily install new software by pressing Control-Alt-T to open a terminal and install any piece of software you want, including the latest OpenOffice. The instructions are on the eeeuser wiki, if you cared to look.

A few curious notes: my wireless WPA worked out of the box on Xandros, so I am not sure what the difference is between our setups. Also, Ubuntu requires just a few minor "tweaks" as you call it, to get it running 100% including wireless, hotkeys, webcam, microphone, etc.

Anyways, like I said, for the most part a decent, albeit not great review.
post #75 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-07-04, 10:14 PM
Veteran

The principle Windows 2000 "tweak" involved moving the swap file to the secondary SSD, a reasonably simple and quick procedure that dramatically improves the computer's performance. The other required tweak is eliminating Firefox's disc cache. That's pretty much all you need to do to the Win2K installation.

Windows XP does benefit from the same tweaks as Win2K. But to increase performance, you'll also need to disable a few services that take up too much room for no valid reason, and cut down on the system software bloat. Afterwards, you MIGHT still have enough room for all your software on the 4GB drive.

The problem with optimizing Ubuntu and Xandros is that you have to use a terminal window (1980s technology) to perform many of the tweaks. Ubuntu did improve this aspect by including the Synaptic Package Manager in the distro, which is much easier to use than the ever annoying Aptitude. But you still need to access a terminal window to modify the configuration files so the computer will power off properly, and redirect the log files to a virtual disk so the SSD drives aren't accessed.

Xandros' custom made package manager however is not only limited to their own selection of software, Aptitude's default package is also just as limited. You need to include a separate package source in Aptitude to get other software, a process I didn't want to try out because the entire process was already going way beyond the basic computer skills of most "humans" out there. And as far as "unlocking" Xandros was concerned, the process was way beyond my level of patience, and it's already been reported as being unreliable!

And as far as media playback under Linux is concerned, it's STILL a complete mess after all this time! I'm currently working on launching a Canadian television channel which will distribute its programming on the Internet via BitTorrent. So for me, a computer's ability to play back just about any video material out there is CRITICAL! And Linux simply doesn't cut it!

Windows 2000 did not win the OS battle because of the mistaken belief that I'm a "fanboy" of it. To be honest, I actually prefer Windows XP. But on a machine with such limited resources and storage space, the best operating system I could find for the EEE PC 900 was an operating system that dates all the way back to 1999.

When you think about it, that's pretty pathetic.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in