ASUS EEE discussions (all models) - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-03-27, 07:47 AM

More on the new and improved EEE here:

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=11259
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-04-12, 11:40 AM

Talking I had to get one

Well I took the plunge. I bought the black 4GB 512 meg with camera (701 I think??). I changed the ram for 2 GB and added a SDHC with 16 GB. I went on the net to find out how to make the XP version as small as possible while retaining certain useful functions. I thought you could make an nlite version of XP that would take about 600-700 gm on the SSD...well I failed. I managed to get 1.82 GB...I don't know where I goofed.

I didn't like Linux (nothing against it, just not my favorite, nor is XP but easier for me to handle) so I installed XP. This little guy is amazingly fast for its size. Like stampeder mentioned, it isn't to be used for everyday work but for on the fly browsing or remote assitance helping, this is perfect. I will now use my MYPAL 716 ASUS pocket PCP as a GPS. That one has served me good as well.

On a funny note, I bought the EEE PC with extra ram and SDHC card for $681 shipping ,taxes and whatever else the govt needs. When I tried to install XP last night, I took out my SONY DRX-510UL external DVD-Rom burner out of storage. At the time, that bugger was $649.99 without taxes!!!! Maximum CD Speed read on it was 32 and maximum write was 24. DVD read speed was 12x and write speed was 4x (2x RW)...wow. It weighs almost 10 pounds, 10 inches long by 9 wide and 2 inches tall. Talk about yesterdays technology!!!

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #33 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-04-14, 08:42 AM

Nice review of the XP powered Eee PC at The Tech Report:

Asus' Eee PC 4G XP sub-notebook, The affordable ultraportable now sports Windows XP

post #34 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-04-14, 08:52 AM
Digital Sage

I'm keeping mine with Linux. I could add XP and if it was a everyday machine, I probably would.

You can also install an advanced version of Linux to get around the fixed format that came pre-installed.

Again, if it was a full time machine, I probably would.

I added 1gb of memory for $25 and that's all I'm doing.
post #35 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-04-14, 02:26 PM
rpr

I have the 4G Surf (no webcam), I upgraded the RAM to 2GB, and installed ubuntu Linux on it. I am using it as my full time work/home laptop to replace a boat anchor 17 inch Toshiba laptop. My work agreed to give me two LCD screens (a 22" and a 17", one for each office) in return for the laptop. I love it, and don't really notice a difference (the laptop was a core duo 1.8). In both cases I use an external keyboard and mouse, so nothing changed there, and the screens are now bigger, so that's a bonus. The speed difference is barely noticable. I use an 8GB SHDC card for file storage. My boss has one as well and he installed VirtualBox and installed XP inside that, and it works fine, so that is an option as well.

Oh, I have also overclocked mine to the rated 900 MHz as well, no issues so far, knock wood. Next project is internal bluetooth!

Tom
post #36 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-04-14, 05:34 PM

I've seen a forum about this little machine....my gosh some people have been going overboard with mods and hacks. One guy has almost $2200 in it with gadgets of all types. From bluetooth to hubs to more lights to shake a stick at...I tell you, the imagination is the only thing holding these guys back!!!

I installed Skype on mine and it didn't work well with the USB camera at first. I uninstalled the camera and rebooted. It "found" the camera and now, Skype works perfectly. I think I'm going to like this little guy. Great legtop.

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #37 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-04-15, 07:34 PM

It will get its own version of XP
http://apcmag.com.au/in_depth_offici...pc_with_xp.htm
Quote:
Asus CEO Jerry Shen predicts that more than half of the Eee PCs sold this year will run XP instead of Linux
post #38 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-04-16, 03:46 PM

Everybody to whom I've shown my little guy (humm, something doesn't quite sound right with this bit), they just want to have one as well. They are all amazed that such a tiny PC can be so versatile. I like its ultra portability.

post #39 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-04-19, 09:33 PM
Veteran

Same thing has happened with mine -- everyone seems to want it.

As an update for you guys, the new 8.9" system will apparently be released May 12th, with a pricetag of $549 US. The Linux version will come with a 4GB SSD and a 16GB internal flash module, and the Windows XP version will come with a 4GB SSD and an 8GB internal flash module. Both will have 1GB of RAM.
post #40 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-04-19, 11:35 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGY11 View Post
As an update for you guys, the new 8.9" system will apparently be released May 12th, with a pricetag of $549 US. The Linux version will come with a 4GB SSD and a 16GB internal flash module, and the Windows XP version will come with a 4GB SSD and an 8GB internal flash module. Both will have 1GB of RAM.
Isn't XP more space-hungry than linux? Or is this how they keep the prices identical even after paying for an OEM Windows licence? Don't get me wrong, as a linux user (some would call me a ******) I don't mind the bonus. It's just that inquiring minds want to know.

OTA brings you crystal-clear, uncompressed HDTV, no simsubbing, and the real SuperBowl commercials. You can't get all that on satellite... OR CABLE.
post #41 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-04-19, 11:40 PM
Veteran

This is how they are keeping the price identical between the two versions.
post #42 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-04-20, 10:32 AM

I'd get the linux version only to install XP.
Having said that, I think that I'm getting addicted more and more to the size and function of my EEE PC. I added the eeectl program and the screen size doubler as well. What a difference. I have mine set at medium speed and 1000x600. I adjusted the dpi to 144 and it looks perfect to my eyes.

post #43 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-04-21, 02:38 PM
rpr

I'm running mine at 1650x1080 on an external 22" monitor. It's a tiny bit fuzzy if you look closely, but it's not bad. I use mine all the time.
post #44 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-04-21, 02:53 PM
Digital Sage

Quote:
eeectl program and the screen size doubler
These are XP applications only?
post #45 of 119 (permalink) Old 2008-04-21, 02:55 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Dnes View Post
Isn't XP more space-hungry than linux? Or is this how they keep the prices identical even after paying for an OEM Windows licence? Don't get me wrong, as a linux user (some would call me a ******) I don't mind the bonus. It's just that inquiring minds want to know.
I haven't tried it yet myself, but apparently XP can be cut down quite small if you take out a lot of the junky processes that you don't really need. The size difference of the flash drive modules was purely to keep the prices for each model the same.

On another note, it was just announced that Asus will be making a 10" screen model, with the Intel Atom processor. Apparently the 10" model will be the biggest for the EEE system.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in