Convert Phone Jacks to Ethernet - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 2008-02-06, 10:50 AM

Technokid;

I was suggesting the attic route for second floor installations only. For first floor, I always go through the basement. In my case, I have a large attic, so getting around it was easy. I have done this a number of times in other houses, so doing it didn't bother my. Certainly it is not for everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 2008-02-06, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TECHNOKID View Post
Ron has mentioned CAT3 wire which is quite possible this is what your new house would be using. However, CAT3 is not twisted pair if I am correct but as Ron mentioned, for short distance it could do the job. JohnnyG has also mentioned a very good point as contractors will often run one cable paralleling from one outlet to the other as this is the most economical way for them to do this task.
Actually I'm pretty sure I mentioned both those things

cat3 is twisted pair. Just at a different twist rate compared to cat5e. More twists in cat5e, and then more again in cat6.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 2008-02-06, 08:42 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I was suggesting the attic route for second floor installations only.
I did not mean it has a bad suggestion or option as it is a very valid one. My only concerned was simply a question as if he is not familiar with cable running it would the hardess way for him to do so. Depending on what I am running sometime the best option will be the attic. We also have to consider which is the easiest fastest way to do a task while ensuring it is the right way too and in some cases not going through the attic wouldn't be wise.

PHAND, you are right did mention both and I have to go back to remeber as I write and omitted your statements. All in all, HydrogenCyanide is in good hands with the buch of you guys to help him out. Can't wait to see what the end result is gone be? Very intersting!

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 2008-02-07, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for all the great idea's. I was in the house the other day and did some investigating.

All jacks are definitely 'home run' to the panel box. They are not daisy chained and it is cat 3 wiring. I will probably try a couple of the fishing tricks once I move in. Hopefully I will have some success with that.

As for the wireless, I do use it today in my current house but it has its issues. I stream live HDTV from my MCE box to my 360. It works well most of the time but I really would prefer to go wired.

I'll post in a couple months and let you know how I make out.

Yamaha 5660, Samsung 50" DLP, Paradigm Monitor Series, Bev 6000, Dishnet 501 PVR
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 2008-02-07, 10:44 PM
Jaw

Home run type phone wiring is all I see here. Cat 3 wiring can be used for up to 16 mbit data rates, which means 10BaseT is completely doable.

You only need 2 free pairs of either a cat 3 or cat 5 cable to set it up. I put in double jacks in my house, phone on top, ethernet on the bottom. Used 2 extra pairs for the ethernet. It works fine.
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 2010-02-04, 06:04 PM
Rookie

I realize I'm digging up an old thread here, but as it turns out, wireless still sucks for reliable HD video streaming!

I went into the attic, and never having been in one, wasn't too comfortable messing around with insulation and looking for a way to drop wires... so I was thinking it might be possible to convert my phone jacks to ethernet.

Would any of you be kind enough to tell me if the wiring here can support any sort of ethernet?

And is there an easy way to tell if the phone lines are daisy-chained or lead straight to the basement?
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 2010-02-05, 10:53 AM
Veteran

Easist way to determine if the wiring is daisy chained is to (1) look for splices in any of the boxes or (2) disconnect the jacks one at a time and see if any other jacks go dead.

honestly, though, pull new wires. I wouldn't trust anything that was in the walls. You'll not know how hard it was pulled, whether it maintains adequate spacing from AC/inductive loads, whether or not the bend radii were respected, etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in