USB 3.0 Hardware Details Revealed - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 2009-12-02, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

USB 3.0 more versatile than eSATA

Yes, unfortunately some of the original eSATA sockets were nothing more than standard SATA sockets (not hot-swappable) in the newer form factor! I had to buy a PCI-E eSATA card for one of my older machines due to that issue after having a backup/hot-swap go down in flames on the old socket. The newer ones don't have that problem.

Also USB 3.0 is meant to be a versatile technology for many uses, like its progenitors, while eSATA is meant to be a mobo-hard drive technology that is unlikely to show up on iPods and other consumer eletronics gear in the future. For those reasons a USB 3.0 PCI-E card would be a boon for mobos without it.

Shameless plug: the latest Linux kernel RC (2.6.32) already has USB 3.0 support built-in, being the very first OS to offer this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 2009-12-02, 11:48 AM
Veteran

The HotSwap.exe home page provides a list of supported controllers so it should be easy to get it working well. In my experience, some of those "soldered on" motherboard eSATA ports do not work well so a card or adapter may be the best option.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 2009-12-02, 11:12 PM
Veteran

I don't see USB 3.0 gaining a whole lot of traction before LightPeak comes along and supplants it as the high-speed peripheral connection standard.

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 2009-12-03, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

All any of these physical data buses ever have on top of the world are maybe a few years before the next few speed kings come up. USB3.0 will simply be the one for now. Light Peak, if adopted across more than one consumer industry, will certainly take over when its ready.

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 2009-12-03, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampeder View Post
Yes, unfortunately some of the original eSATA sockets were nothing more than standard SATA sockets (not hot-swappable) in the newer form factor! I had to buy a PCI-E eSATA card for one of my older machines due to that issue after having a backup/hot-swap go down in flames on the old socket. The newer ones don't have that problem.

Also USB 3.0 is meant to be a versatile technology for many uses, like its progenitors, while eSATA is meant to be a mobo-hard drive technology that is unlikely to show up on iPods and other consumer eletronics gear in the future. For those reasons a USB 3.0 PCI-E card would be a boon for mobos without it.

Shameless plug: the latest Linux kernel RC (2.6.32) already has USB 3.0 support built-in, being the very first OS to offer this.
As an interesting aside Shaw just did a firmware update that enables e-sata hot swapping on the old motorola 6412 stb pvr it even allows for huge terra byte hard drives after the flash update. The price you pay is a really quick format but that is to be expected...I guess they expect people to try to steal the content off the drives.

I think it is still using a proprietary file system from IBM but..if a 5 year old really early release sata based pvr with a very small firmware capacity can hot swap e-sata then certainly my two year old Mobo with 8 meg of bios flash ram from asus should be able to do it! If asus updates the bios for this Mobo! GRRRR...

"if it ain't broke ..let me have a crack at it"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in