Best Audio Format(s) For Rebuilding My Music Library? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 2007-06-19, 02:36 AM

Cool

Quote:
Since it's lossless, why not use the CODEC with the most support and least hassle?
Some people would argue that FLAC is the codec with the most support and least hassle. Just because a few proprietary players don't support FLAC, that doesn't mean it is the WMA is the best format. All it means is that something is going on (MS arm twisting maybe) that is keeping FLAC off those players. I don't trust anything done by MS anymore, especially not media players. (Just look at what they did with their music service.) MS doesn't even supply a DVD codec with WMP. I suspect the reason they developed WMA is because they don't want to pay royalties for MP3 either. (Not that I blame them with all the problems in the MP3 arena.) So MS develops a new compression scheme and all of a sudden it's the best supported because 90% of computers run Windows? Well not for most people it isn't. Open source software has way better support than any MS software. Any proprietary format being sold by a large corporation is subject to the whims of that corporation. Considering that MS is business partners with media companies that want to take away fair use rights for copyrighted material for all consumers, I wouldn't trust them with my music.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 2007-06-19, 08:08 AM

Well, I am hesitate to ever recommend to someone to use a proprietary technology to archive information. WMA lossless is owned and licensed from Microsoft. I'd rather not have my music library locked into this. If someone wants to come up with their own conclusion, it's their choice and as long as they knew the pros and cons, I have no problems.

Secondly, FLAC is supported as much or more than WMA lossless. There are portable players and for home network playing, squeezebox has long supported FLAC and has had to transcode wma lossless due to license fees.

Lossless is lossless. It's the exact audio copy of the music. However, how that is store for future needs is something I would consider when choosing what format to go with.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 2007-06-19, 10:23 AM
Veteran

Absolute FUD!

I can play WMA files in MusicMatch Jukebox (which I use), but I can't play FLAC files. Heck, I can even encode WMA within MusicMatch! Since my portable streaming player uses the MusicMatch server (which in turn relies heavily on Windows Media Connect), FLAC files would be useless to me. Also useless to anybody who wants to use a media player that in turn uses Windows Media Connect.

I'm all for non-proprietary formats - until it's detrimental to me.

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 2007-06-19, 11:45 AM
Veteran

I have the music I listen to in .wav on my HD.

I also the same tunes in mp3 100% VBR for convenience. Most songs average 230 - 250 bitrate.

No one I know can tell the difference .wav vs. mp3 at that rate.

At work I have a double layer DVD with over 1000 tunes for background music. I am sure I could get close to 1500 on 1 DL disc at 100% VBR.

simplicity is genius...
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 2007-06-19, 12:05 PM

JohnnyG, you're storing your music in a Microsoft proprietary format, running Microsoft Windows, a Windows application and Windows tools (connect). Sure, this is a workable setup for you. MS is still #1 in the world because a lot of people are willing to exchange certain rights for ease of use. There's nothing wrong with that per say.

However, as I mentioned, I wouldn't go around telling people to do the same thing. You're basically locking people in and I wouldn't feel right causing that. The day you want to run Linux as your desktop OS, you'll suddenly see why vendor lock-in is idetrimental. However, until something like that comes up, everything seems great.
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 2007-06-19, 12:44 PM
Veteran

The day I want to run Linux as my desktop OS is a day that will never come. I have nothing against it....I just have absolutely no need to run it.

Quote:
However, as I mentioned, I wouldn't go around telling people to do the same thing. You're basically locking people in and I wouldn't feel right causing that.
But you feel okay about suggesting a format that has significantly less support? What if I want to do something stupidly simple like incorporating a music file into a PowerPoint presentation? Can I do that with a FLAC file? What if I purchase a media player to play my audio library through my stereo system? Will it support FLAC files?

I'm hardly the type that enjoys having people coming back to me for help because I've recommended some non-mainstream method of doing something.

Last edited by JohnnyG; 2007-06-19 at 12:50 PM.
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 2007-06-19, 05:03 PM

Arrow

Quote:
I can play WMA files in MusicMatch Jukebox (which I use), but I can't play FLAC files.
You must be aware by now that MMJB is an end of line piece of software that will receive no future development. Musicmatch was sold to Yahoo some time ago and their service (and customer base) is being transferred to Yahoo Music by the end of summer. Most recent development in MMJB was geared toward adding features for selling online music so it is little wonder that flac was not added. I hope you didn't get conned into paying $60 for future upgrades of MMJB because there will be none. Just one of the pitfalls of buying proprietary software. Personally, I prefer Winamp. It does everything that MMJB does, is a lot faster than MMJB for large music collections and supports virtually every music format in use through user developed plugins. For ripping, I use Exact Audio Copy. It also supports virtually all file formats through external add-ons. I tried MMJB for ripping but got too many bad rips. My MMJB+ license and Musicmatch subscription are also up in the air because I have been unable to get Yahoo Music to transfer my subscription due to being in Canada.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 2007-06-19, 06:03 PM
Veteran

I have had a lifetime upgrade subscription to MMJB for 5 years or so. It has served me very well and I have no need to switch at this point in time. I've had zero trouble ripping. Nada.

I can't keep track of all the sofware bits and pieces you just threw at me to replace ONE perfectly good package I currently have. I think some of you forget that computers are often a tool rather than a hobby!
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 2007-06-19, 07:57 PM

heybirder wrote:
Quote:
MS is still #1 in the world because a lot of people are willing to exchange certain rights for ease of use.
I'm not clear on what rights I give up by using WMP. I happen to use iTunes for music because I have an iPod but I use WMP for other things. It's just a tool and if it does what I want then so what? I use iTunes because it's the easy choice and does 95% of what I want. So I could use something less popular and, hence, cooler like MediaMonkey which would do 98% of what I want for a bunch more work.
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 2007-06-20, 03:12 AM

I tried other solutions. The only thing that came close to doing a good (near perfect) job was EAC and flac. Everything else gave me tracks that often skipped or sounded terrible. It can be a PITA to set up but does a near perfect job. Plus, there is lots of support available.

I've disliked commercial software for as long as I've used a PC, about 23 years. (Since I received my CS degree.) It usually costs too much and often doesn't work as well as open source software. Then there is the issue of support. I've ported, fixed or helped fix a lot open source software (not that the better stuff often needs it.) Try that with some of the the closed source junk that's out there. Support for commercial programs these days usually consists of a form letter reply that is often completely off topic. I don't want or need to pay on a regular basis for that. Then there are the fly by night outfits that charge a whack of money up front for a new program with promises upgrades and support, only to disappear a few months later. The worst are the outfits that change the name of the software and make you buy it all over again, often discontinuing the "old" software shortly after.

IMHO, most Windows software is a scam. It costs too much and delivers too little. The worst of it is little better than fraud, charging too much money for software that has little value or lacks decent functionality or support. I've worked in the software industry and I know what goes behind closed doors.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 2007-06-20, 10:14 PM

Angry MMJB problem

I bought a Dell PC because it had MCE installed when you couldn't buy it seperately. I didn't know much about pc's & thought an all in one solution was the way to go. I also didn't know they were using other peoples apps. Just lately I've been informed that my free?? trial of MMJB will not allow me to burn anymore cd's! until I cough up $20 to get PLUS! And now I can only rip cd's at the increadibly slow rate of 0.3X! not the 10X it used to do. Is this really the way it is? The $20 aside, this is (pun intended) a rip-off!
To add insult to injury, as I was doing this post my ripping session finally ended & as it spit out the CD tray it kicked me out of my post.
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 2007-06-21, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarman View Post
I bought a Dell PC because it had MCE installed when you couldn't buy it seperately. I didn't know much about pc's & thought an all in one solution was the way to go. I also didn't know they were using other peoples apps. Just lately I've been informed that my free?? trial of MMJB will not allow me to burn anymore cd's! until I cough up $20 to get PLUS! And now I can only rip cd's at the increadibly slow rate of 0.3X! not the 10X it used to do. Is this really the way it is? The $20 aside, this is (pun intended) a rip-off!
To add insult to injury, as I was doing this post my ripping session finally ended & as it spit out the CD tray it kicked me out of my post.
I have been using free rippers and encoders for years with no problems... they do only one thing which is to rip then encode to the format of my choice (mp3) at high quality.

My ripper of choice: Audiograbber (now freeware)

My encoder of choice: LAME

I have also used the ripper CDEX in the past although I prefer Audiograbber.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 2007-06-21, 10:00 PM

Thx. cyclo. I did try it. Then I realized I can use Windows Media Player instead by just closing MMJB as it always opens when I load a CD. This works alot better than my supposed free trial of MMJB that came with the system.
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 2007-06-23, 01:04 AM

Quote:
trial of MMJB will not allow me to burn anymore cd's! until I cough up $20 to get PLUS!
MMJB is a discontinued product so it is not worth buying (even if you can.) I never liked it for ripping and burning, even in the plus version. There are tons of audio rippers/players/burners available. I like Winamp, which has a great user support community, as a player and music organizer. Like MMJB, it has a free basic and $20 premium version. MMJB has been replaced with Yahoo Music Player (same deal there.) IIRC, these both allow burning with the free version but offer faster burning and more features with the premium version. That is far from an exhaustive list but those two are very similar to MMJB so they will have an easy learning curve.

I usually use Nero for burning CDs/DVDs but the full version costs close to $100. A free version of Nero is often supplied with new computers and DVD-RW drives. Check out some freeware sites or Google for other options. Searching the forum, forum FAQs or starting a new thread might also turn up some recommendations.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 2007-06-25, 01:57 AM

I removed one of 2 versions of Musicmatch. When I try to remove the second "Musicmath for Windows Media Player" it tells me continuing will close Windows Media Player! What exactly does that mean? Even when I go direct to WMP, Musicmatch keeps popping up. This is really annoying.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in