Looking for a wireless printer for my laptops - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 2007-04-20, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Looking for a wireless printer for my laptops

I am looking to buy a wireless printer so that I can print from any location in my home. There are 3 laptops in my home with the laptops using my Telus wireless router to access the internet.

I was wondering if anyone has one or can recommend one for me to purchase. I am willing to spend up to $ 500.00 dollars CDN. It would be best if the printer could be stand alone where I don't have to have it hard wired into my router, if that makes sense.

Thanks very much in advance for any assistance anyone here can provide.

Best regards,

Hazmat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 2007-04-20, 08:05 PM
Veteran

Look for a wireless print server and plug your printer into that.

Alternatively you can get a cheap pc with a wireless connection, run CUPS from it and plug your printer into it. It's available from most mainstream linux distributions (i.e. ubuntu/kubuntu).
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 2007-04-20, 08:43 PM

A better route than WiFi might be to buy a network printer and connect it to one of the LAN ports of your Telus router.

Lexmark and HP have network printers in the product line. I am using an HP Photosmart 3210 mutlifunction which prints from my network (instead of connecting to a USB or LPT port it has an IP address (eg. 192.168.0.1xx)).

HP's 3210, C5180 and C6180 all have Ethernet connectivity. Most of the Brother All-in-Ones have it as well. Most of the Lexmarks have the capability but require an optional adapter.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 2007-04-20, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
A better route than WiFi might be to buy a network printer and connect it to one of the LAN ports of your Telus router.

Lexmark and HP have network printers in the product line. I am using an HP Photosmart 3210 mutlifunction which prints from my network (instead of connecting to a USB or LPT port it has an IP address (eg. 192.168.0.1xx)).

HP's 3210, C5180 and C6180 all have Ethernet connectivity. Most of the Brother All-in-Ones have it as well. Most of the Lexmarks have the capability but require an optional adapter.
This is what i would do - HP has a nice line up around 300+ (2605dn comes to mind) - hardwire into your router works great!!

Am I getting new Sony?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 2007-04-20, 10:24 PM

I have a Motorola Wireless G Print Server -- it has both a parallel and a USB port and it works like a charm. No need to go blowing money on a new printer. I got it for $30, but it will usually be a bit more than that.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 2007-04-21, 01:16 AM
Veteran

Apple Airport Express (around $140) has a USB port for printer (any USB printer) and you can put it anywhere in your house that's convenient, from where it can wireless connect with your existing router/network.

Plus, if you have an audio receiver nearby (or accessible via a 1/8" stereo cable), you can enable AirTunes (wireless music) via iTunes.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 2007-04-21, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks very much all

I would like to thank everyone for providing me with suggestions. I will review and think on what you have passed onto me. Thanks very much, it's greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Haz
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 2007-05-17, 09:21 AM

Dell just came out with a new line of all in one printers, one of which has built in wireless print functionality. I have the older all in one model 964 and purchased Dell's wireless printer adapter. It connected to my home wifi network in minutes and now I can leave my printer in one room and print to it with my laptop from anywhere in the house or with my desktop in the other room. It works great (except I am having an issue with the humongous file sizes for items that I have scanned in when connected wirelessly. The same file if scanned in when connected through USB is a fraction of the file size. I can't figure out). Other than that, it works great and is relatively inexpensive.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 2007-05-29, 08:52 AM
Veteran

I have an HP 6980 printer wirelessly connected to my desktop PC
and my laptop.
It is a fairly fast printer and was only $99 at Staples.
Here is the link.

http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/ca...affixedcode=WW

It doesn't matter if your glass is half empty or half full.
Drink up and get a refill!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 2007-05-30, 12:05 PM
Veteran

Here is an article on some new Lexmark wi-fi printers.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,13...l?tk=nl_poxcol

It doesn't matter if your glass is half empty or half full.
Drink up and get a refill!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 2007-06-15, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all

I picked up a HP OfficeJet Pro L7780 All-in-one and it works like a charm. I got 4 laptops and 1 desktop hooked up and there have been absolutely no issues thus far. I should have done this a long time ago.

Thanks all for your suggestions. It is greatly appreciated.

Haz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in