2nd Hard Drive Install - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2007-04-08, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

2nd Hard Drive Install

Hey -

I'm looking to install a second HD in my computer and am looking for a little assistance with it. I currently have an 80GB Hitachi installed and I do not want to erase anything on it, I just want to add this new drive as extra storage. So from what I know, I need to install it and format.
Problem... never done it before.
Can anyone point me to a website with instructions on how to do this??

Last edited by hugh; 2007-04-08 at 11:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2007-04-08, 11:39 PM
Member #1

Its very simple. Goto PCMag, PCWorld or CNET site and they will have detailed instructions on how.

BUT

Make sure you read your motherboard manual to ensure you get the right drive and read the instructions that come with your drive before trying to install.

And finally, don't add a new drive without backing up your old one!

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2007-04-08, 11:51 PM
Digital Sage

You may want to also consider an enclosure and use the second harddrive as an external drive. If you go that route it's just plug and play, no need to tinker inside.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2007-04-09, 02:49 AM

External USB2 drives are a good option but they are a little slower. Make sure your computer has USB2 ports and not USB1.1. Adding an internal drive may or may not be possible, depending on available space, the power supply and motherboard configuration. In addition, motherboard configuration can determine the type of drive and cables required. It might be worth paying someone else to install the drive. (Maybe a local independent computer retailer that also sells drives for a good price.)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2007-04-09, 05:44 AM
Veteran

Go to:

Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager>Universal Serial Bus Controllers

and click the "+" to see details and see if you have USB2 Enhanced Bus Controller.

In the affirmative, your simplest solution is to get a USB HDD drive.

The drive can store files, photos, etc. As for music and videos, you will need to create your folders as the Windows Media Center will not accept to store them in a Library. But stored in your own folders, clicking a music or video file will cause Windows Media to open up.

And your USB HDD can be used as an image backup of your internal drive (if you have an image backup program).

Samsung LN52B750, SVS PB12-ISD, Harmony One, HD-A1, BDP-1400, Oppo DV-970HD, Yamaha RX-V371
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2007-04-10, 02:03 PM

It's a breeze if you have the connections and room for a 2nd hard drive in your computer case. You simply plug in the new hard drive (Windows will recognize it - probably call it the "D" drive) and then your hard drive comes with all the instructions how to format it (Seagate did, for instance). It's fast, easy and painless. While it never hurts to backup your main drive, your computer will never get confused as your old hard drive is your "C" drive, and it looks to that first. It took me less than a 1/2 hour to install my new 250GB drive - to back up all my photos, music, documents etc. which is what I think you want to do as well. Be sure to tell your computer that the new hard drive is the slave - but the instructions will walk you through that as well - just a matter of a switch.

Sony KDF60XS955, Rogers, SA4250HD, Toshiba HD-A2, Harman/Kardon AVR 335, Acoustic Profile Speakers, Harmony Remote
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2007-04-19, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys...
I have successfully installed and formatted the drive. It was really simple. Thanks for the help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in