Proxy Servers to make it appear you are in a different country - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 2007-04-06, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Proxy Servers to make it appear you are in a different country

Has anyone used a proxy server to make it appear that you are in another country? Being based in Canada seems to lock us out of online content - for example My Name is Earl has some of their shows online but when you try to watch them it says "Not Availabe in your country" or something like that.

What do you have to do to make it appear that you are in the US (or some other country) - I believe a proxy server is required, is it not? If so then how do you do this?

Another example of coverage blocked to Canadians is the Masters coverage - some, but not all, of this content is available via tsn.ca.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 2007-04-06, 03:18 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 2007-04-06, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

It doesn't seem to work - at the Masters site I still get the "The stream is not available in your area" message. I doubt it would work with streaming video since it seems to constrain bandwidth, at least for free users.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 2007-04-07, 09:10 AM
Veteran

Do a Google search for anonymous surfing and you'll find a few options.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 2007-04-07, 04:02 PM

Cool

How much effort would it take for content providers to block proxy site addresses in addition to other non-US addresses?

A: Not much.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 2007-04-08, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

I have found proxy servers that allow you to access web pages but they don't seem to work too well for streaming media - I guess that would require too much bandwidth on the part of the proxy server.

It is interesting that the EU seems to be taking Apple to court as it is segmenting the European market based on country which the EU says it is illegal. Apple is saying that it is the fault of the music labels as they are the ones forcing Apple to do this.

I long for the day when there are no geographic restrictions on media content! But I doubt it will ever come.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 2007-04-08, 10:05 AM

The one I use now, after trying the myriads of them out there, is " hide IP platinum". It's a lot faster than the others and works like a charm.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 2007-04-18, 08:10 AM
Veteran

Use a US based VPN server like strongvpn.com
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 2007-04-18, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Stronvpn looks like it will do the trick but there appears to be a $25 setup fee and a $15/month charge which makes it uneconomical if you just want to occasionally appear as if you are based in the US.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 2007-04-18, 09:43 PM

Wink

Funny, cause here I am in Florida wishing my ip still read Canada so I could watch hockey on CBC online.

Then again it is 29C and the bikinis are everywhere so there is that.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 2007-04-19, 02:12 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
Stronvpn looks like it will do the trick but there appears to be a $25 setup fee and a $15/month charge which makes it uneconomical if you just want to occasionally appear as if you are based in the US.
Depending on your level of expertise, you may be better off signing up with an American web-hosting service. For 5 to 8 US$ per month you can get the works, which includes 3,000 gigabytes/month of bandwidth, so your effective limit is what you can push through your home connection.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 2007-04-19, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Dnes
you may be better off signing up with an American web-hosting service. For 5 to 8 US$ per month you can get the works, which includes 3,000 gigabytes/month of bandwidth, so your effective limit is what you can push through your home connection.
But how can you use a web hosting service to act as a proxy server for you? Would you open up a VPN-type connection to that web hosting service and then do your browsing from there?
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 2007-04-20, 01:19 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
But how can you use a web hosting service to act as a proxy server for you? Would you open up a VPN-type connection to that web hosting service and then do your browsing from there?
That's one possibility. Another option is to get the viewer started and drop the VNC session, and resume the session after the show has ended. Then fish the video out of the machine's internet cache. This would require a service where you rent a physical server (standard Intel or AMD beige box) at the hosting site. One advantage would be that you have root access, because it's "your" dedicated machine.

On the other hand "virtual hosting" may be sufficient if you have a few gigs of space allocated.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 2007-12-06, 08:33 PM

Question Anonymizing Proxy Server to mask id?

there is alot of multimedia in the U.S. on the net that one can no longer access. I would like to find a good proxy server that can handle high speed, or is there a nother way around the. Most of the media is radio and televiion ans some music vids.

mileage may vary with your particular model
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 2007-12-07, 01:04 AM

Well, you could search for products like these:

(*note, I am not recommending any particular product*)

Hide.The.Ip.WiNALL v2.1.1

Hide The IP - This is a Hide IP software which is used to change your real Internet address while browsing the World Wide Web. The software will deliver you fresh anonymous proxy server every time you activate the program.

The main benefit of this software is that you can't be traced when browsing websites. Also if a website is restricted for users from specified country the program can bypass that protection. By hiding your IP you will prevent receiving spam from marketers which know your interests by tracking your IP when browsing websites. You can use web based e-mail to send anonymous e-mail. Post on bulletin boards without displaying your real IP address.

Or, you could use a browser with anonymous browsing feature, such as:

Torpark_1.5.0.7a
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in