Internet Firewalls Discussion - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 93 (permalink) Old 2006-01-01, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Internet Firewalls Discussion

Now that Sygate has been bought by Symantec and Kerio by Sunbelt Software is there a good free firewall product out there? If not I won't mind buying although I don't trust Symantec.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 93 (permalink) Old 2006-01-01, 10:42 PM

I use Zone Alarm...

Am I getting new Sony?
post #3 of 93 (permalink) Old 2006-01-01, 10:48 PM
Member #1

Well Windows has one built-in you can use.

post #4 of 93 (permalink) Old 2006-01-01, 11:43 PM

If any of your have an old PC kicking around that you don't use anymore (mine is an original Pentium 100 -- yes that old) take a look at m0n0wall. This firewall/router is absolutely amazing. Runs off of a CD so it is completely portable and has been used in both my home and work for over 2 years now.

http://www.m0n0.ch/wall/

Cheers,
post #5 of 93 (permalink) Old 2006-01-02, 12:24 AM

Well I still use Sygate, but I used to use Tiny Personal Firewall. It was pretty good. One that is getting really good reviews for performance is Look 'N' Stop Firewall.
post #6 of 93 (permalink) Old 2006-01-02, 10:15 AM

Your ISP may have something to offer, I know Rogers and Cogeco do anyways.
post #7 of 93 (permalink) Old 2006-01-02, 11:13 AM
Veteran

There are lots of good options mentioned. I'll add...if you're on high speed, always connected, a router with a built-in firewall combined with a software firewall like ZoneAlarm should do you good.
post #8 of 93 (permalink) Old 2006-01-02, 06:24 PM
Veteran

My comp eng buddy told me to forget about software firewalls since I have a router. I went to http://www.grc.com/default.htm and checked with "Shield's UP" to confirm his suggestion.

I guess more firewalls are okay, but they do take up your CPU and if it's just redundant, it's not needed.
post #9 of 93 (permalink) Old 2006-01-02, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

I think I will go the router route and either keep my current version of Sysgate running or move to the XP version.

sleemo, is linksys my best bet?

thanks everyone.
post #10 of 93 (permalink) Old 2006-01-03, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asif9t9
I guess more firewalls are okay, but they do take up your CPU and if it's just redundant, it's not needed.
well one thing a software firewall does is tell you about outbound connection attempts from different programs whereas your router won't be able to alert you.
post #11 of 93 (permalink) Old 2006-01-03, 06:00 AM

I use a Linksys router to stop connections from coming in and ZoneAlarm on the PC to stop connections from going out. A couple years ago I got tired of every little app, even program installers, "calling home" and picked up ZoneAlarm and I've been very happy with it ever since.

It's important to properly set up your software firewall and know what can be blocked. If you just accept every outgoing connection, it's useless.
post #12 of 93 (permalink) Old 2006-01-03, 08:30 AM

Why not use Kerio? The Sunbelt version has just been rebranded, and there is still the free version if you don't want the web filtering etc. I just did a new PC build and installed the Sunbelt version and all is good.
post #13 of 93 (permalink) Old 2006-01-03, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Simon is right I completely missed the free version of Kerio.
post #14 of 93 (permalink) Old 2006-01-04, 11:02 AM

Nis 2005

My experience with Symantec's NIS 2005 hasn't been great. Only had it 3 weeks, - came preinstalled w compaq, and 2 days ago it stopped letting Outlook express connect w my rogers acct.

It freezes when I try to manually modify the settings to 'permit all' for OE, and I can't even 'end task'.

Likely going back to ZA or ZA pro.

re: ZA Pro.

What are the advantages of a newer version over an older version in terms of real world protection/performance for the home user?

I own a copy/license of ZA Pro (circa 2003), and would likely install that on the new machine instead of buying a new version, or ZA free.

In my experience, I believe a router's firewall is only safe from protecting you from the internet. If you are running wireless, you risk the possibility of someone seeing your computer's locally, especially your shared folders.

A software firewall can help you keep local computers out. Maybe there is a setting in the hardware router too, but I'm not sure, and not described to me in layman's terms in the documentation from Dlink.

I live in a neigborhood where 2 outta 3 networks are unprotected. And, no, I didn't look at their files. I saw their folders though.

it was an eye-openner to say the least.

P

Panny 47wx52, DMR-e80*C DSR500x2, XBOX 360, Toshiba 26hf84, LG 37LC2D
post #15 of 93 (permalink) Old 2006-01-05, 12:18 PM

Arrow

The Windows firewall is not very good and causes problems on LANs. Most people do not recommend using it. A software and hardware firewall are recommended. The hardware firewall in most routers is only good at keeping hackers out. It does not stop trojans and worms from taking over your computer and making outside connections, sending spam, sending DOS attacks, etc. A good software firewall can do that. ZoneAlarm is one of the better ones, though new releases often have problems and support sucks. The free version will do the job but the paid version has extra features. Very old versions of firewalls such as ZoneAlarm have holes that can be exploited by worms and viruses. It would be better to run a new free version than an older paid version.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in